Shimano E8000: Possible Solution for Error E10

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
There is a Facebook group where members are spending time trying to find solutions for some of the Shimano error codes, and looks like they have found a fix for the infamous E10 Error, and it is so simple:

" A member may have just found the answer we have been looking for. He changed his chainring size to 32 and back to 34 in the ST Unlocker app and fixed 2 bikes! No more e010 code for him!! Update 1. That is 4 confirmed bikes that have been fixed so far. It's a brand new find so don't know it's permanently fixed or not. Update 2. 6 bikes in total have been fixed. 100% success rate so far. Update 3. Had our first member who couldn't fix their motor with this find
?
so it isn't a sure fix for all but still worth trying. "

So thanks a lot to the heroes!!!

Last edited:

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I know this is an old post but to let you know it fixed mine (e8000) for the same reason...

I set my chainring to 32 (which it is now) in ST and "E10" came up ...cleaned all the battery terminals etc. Went out on the analogue (still like it) gutted thinking "new battery time, new motor time, new bike time" as out of warranty by a month.

Came back, still E10. Damn. Looked up the issue here. I connected my ST to the bike (even in E10 error mode) set chainring back to 34, re-booted the battery and BINGO !

SO thanks to Spiff AND again this forum for saving my bacon on this.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Another resurrection of an old thread:

Last week my Vitus E Sommet VR threw an E010 at me for the first time (21 months from new, 1500 ish KM covered).

Power cycling fixed it a few times, until it became persistent. It'd always happen around 4 minutes into a ride.

On the off chance, I thought I'd try cleaning the battery terminals with some deoxit gold (contact cleaner). I dabbed it onto the prongs and also dropped it into the battery slots, leaving it to soak overnight.

I tried the bike out on an easy 20m ride this morning & it was perfect. I might be imagining it, but it also felt a little bit perkier than before, so maybe the terminals were sketchy for a while. I normally use the WD40 contact cleaner but I'll probably clean the terminals each week with the stronger stuff from now on.

EDIT: It was far from perfect, and decided to throw an E010 error during a night ride, resulting in a very depressing push up & ride home.

CRC had my warranty claim form in last night.

Last edited:

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
No luck with the chainring size switch?

I haven't tried it - as tempting as it is, I rather like the idea of getting a new motor installed before the warranty expires.

I took the cover off on weds & checked all the connections - they're fine. But when I powered the battery back on, I was getting instant W013 errors (despite not touching the pedals). The torque sensor is kaput :rolleyes:

Sardinhazul

May 1, 2021
Portugal
Is there any new evidence of the solution above ’changing chainring size to 32 and back to 34 in the ST Unlocker app’ for this error? Most of what I’ve been reading says it is more likely related with battery connections... in my case it began recently and first I suspected of the magnet misalignment and alto the plug to the motor so I checked both. Yesterday I had a first ride with no issues. After some 10kms I’ve stopped for a while because I met a friend, and turned the engine off. When I returned I immediately got a E10 error, then another one after a jump, then no errors after several jumps, then multiple errors after turning the motor on and several others just running in slow speed, typically after changing gears.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Ok, so after 3 weeks, I have my bike back & working.

I managed to agree with CRC that I'd drop it into my local Shimano dealer, who would carry out the diagnostic work & send to Madison (£39, being reimbursed buy CRC).

Madison had the motor for almost 10 days before even looking at it apparently - just to confirm what Pure Electric had already seen.

I was hoping for a brand new motor, but according to pure electric, Madsion were able to fix by updating the firmware on the torque sensor itself - which wasn't possible in the dealership.

I've only ridden it about 500 metres from the shop to my car, and it felt absolutely fine. I'm hoping to get out on a longer ride this week once the weather improves.

Whilst without my bike, I did look at a few other options, thinking that maybe the Bosch unit is more reliable - and then one of my biking buddies had a failure on his 2021 Trek Rail that's done about 400 miles :D

Chindley

Jun 12, 2022
Lowton Gtr Manchester
Last 3 rides I have encountered the E010 error. Each time it happened after about 1 hour or 12 miles, it then wouldn’t reset until about an hour after. I came across this thread and decided to give it a go. Changed my chainring with the ST Unlocker and changed it back. Just been 22 miles and no error. Coincidence? Maybe,but it looks like it may be a fix for some. I will update in a few weeks.

Dec 21, 2022
Poland
And how about Your e10 error :)? Today i was change tooth from 36to 32, and 36 one more time, and error was gone! :) Error was born when i setup Tooth to 32. Strange, and easy to repair... Second thing is clearing place between two flat rings at axle.. it was a lot of grease. Maybe this is the problem

20221222_144437.jpg 20221222_144459.jpg 20221222_144953.jpg 20221222_144429.jpg 20221222_144420.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles