Shimano e8000 E10 Error

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Contact Commençal. My motor was 3 months past the warranty when I started having the same problems and they still sent me a new motor. Great customer service.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Contact Commençal. My motor was 3 months past the warranty when I started having the same problems and they still sent me a new motor. Great customer service.
Thanks I sent them an email yesterday with all the details.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I have a 2020 Santa Cruz Heckler here in dry Arizona.
I rarely wash it, and am careful when I do so.
StunLocker app in use with significantly reduced power (15NM, 25NM, 35NM) and smaller wheel size inputted to allow 22mph or so.

After about 2000 trouble-free miles, I plugged it into charge, as it had been sitting for three weeks (I've been on my Stump Jumper Carbon WC Hardtail during that time, training for dirt bike racing).

I charged it over night. I saw the normally solid single amber light flashing once-per-second. Odd.

When I checked on it yesterday morning, it was only 3-bars (out of 5) charged. Uh-oh.

I turned on the bike and checked the app to verify. I turned off the bike and hooked up the charger. Solid amber light this time.
After a couple of hours it was fully charged.

I took it on a group night ride last night. About halfway through our 15-mile ride, I noticed the assist go away. I looked at the display and saw the e010 error. I turned the bike off and back on. The motor assisted for another mile or so then gave the same error. I turned off and back on, and motored along. This happened probably six times last night.

Upon arriving home last night, I put the bike on the charger (solid amber).
This morning the light was off and it was charged to 3 bars.

I called my dealer and they told me to bring it in. I will have it there in a couple hours for them to diagnose.

I will use StUNlocker to reset to factory settings.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I took it to the dealer who hooked it up to a lap top.
Many, many error codes in queue.
He said the connectors were dirty so he cleaned them.
Two-mile test ride. No error.

I am not hopeful, but will give it a good test ride tomorrow. 15-miles and a good amount of vertical.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I took it to the dealer who hooked it up to a lap top.
Many, many error codes in queue.
He said the connectors were dirty so he cleaned them.
Two-mile test ride. No error.

I am not hopeful, but will give it a good test ride tomorrow. 15-miles and a good amount of vertical.
Which connectors and how did he clean them?

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Janc asked what was cleaned and how:
The LBS cleaned the battery and all connections he could hose down with electrical cleaner that he could get to without wrenching into the motor. I have read that the cleaning rarely fixes the problem.

I test rode today. The firmware was updated by the dealer to 4.9 (I did not request it). I had heard that STUnlocker would not function with the newer versions, but it appears to function, although I now notice a bluetooth hook up glitch. I have had to retry the link-up while before it always linked up the first time.

I test rode the bike only after having to coax the battery to charge. The amber light would go on and the power button on the bike and the e7000 display would illuminate. I would walk away and come back a half hour later to find the battery charger amber light and e7000 display was off.

I re-plugged the charger a few times and eventually got it to 100% charge.
It is on the charger now, but the amber light stays solid only for ten seconds or so. Then the e7000 display goes dark and the amber light blinks.

So, I rode it with standard settings (27.5 wheel which caused cut-out at 18.5 mph), and standard power.
I had used STUNLocker to reduce my power to Eco = 15NM, Trail = 25NM and Boost =45NM (with %Assist, and Watts also reduced from standard).

This morning's test ride found the bike balky at start up. I would press the power button and the e7000 display would illuminate then turn off several seconds later. Eventually it stayed on. I decided to stay near home and ride the volcanic mountain (Deem Hill).

The bike shut off 2/3rds of a mile down the road with the e0101 code and no pedal assist. I recycled and pedaled up the rocky trail.
At 7 miles it coded e0101. Same thing. It coded again at about 10 miles (reboot), and then as I headed back home at 13 miles. Fortunately all re-boots worked -- or I would've had to walk it a couple miles home.

Lastly, the range of the 504 Shimano battery has depreciated markedly. When new (February 2020), I would get over 40 miles on relatively flat (undulating) ground, or deep into the 30s with a goodly amount of climbs. Over the past year I have seen the range drop dramatically, as my STUNLocker app showed the batter health crop from 100% to 90s, to 80s, and now stuck on 79% for the last several months.

Today's 16.5 mile rock-ride (with some street) burned down to two bars remaining (out of five). The StUNlocker app said I was down to 28% battery, so 16.5/.72 = 23-miles to empty-ish.

So, I have quite a few issues to discuss with my dealer and Shimano.
I will drop it off tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Janc asked what was cleaned and how:
The LBS cleaned the battery and all connections he could hose down with electrical cleaner that he could get to without wrenching into the motor. I have read that the cleaning rarely fixes the problem.

I test rode today. The firmware was updated by the dealer to 4.9 (I did not request it). I had heard that STUnlocker would not function with the newer versions, but it appears to function, although I now notice a bluetooth hook up glitch. I have had to retry the link-up while before it always linked up the first time.

That is, I test rode it after having to coax the battery to charge. The amber light would go on and the power button on the bike and the e7000 display would illuminate. I would walk away and come back a half hour later to find the battery charger amber light and e7000 display was off.

I re-plugged the charger a few times and eventually got it to 100% charge.
It is on the charger now, but the amber light stays solid only for ten seconds or so. Then the e7000 display goes dark and the amber light blinks.

So, I rode it with standard settings (27.5 wheel which caused cut-out at 18.5 mph), and standard power.
I had used STUNLocker to reduce my power to Eco = 15NM, Trail = 25NM and Boost =45NM (with %Assist, and Watts also reduced from standard).

This morning's test ride found the bike balky at start up. I would press the power button and the e7000 display would illuminate then turn off several seconds later. Eventually it stayed on. I decided to stay near home and ride the volcanic mountain (Deem Hill).

The bike shut off 2/3rds of a mile down the road with the e0101 code and no pedal assist. I recycled and pedaled up the rocky trail.
At 7 miles it coded e0101. Same thing. It coded again at about 10 miles (reboot), and then as I headed back home at 13 miles. Fortunately all re-boots worked -- or I would've had to walk it a couple miles home.

Lastly, the range of the 504 Shimano battery has depreciated markedly. When new (February 2020), I would get over 40 miles on relatively flat (undulating) ground, or deep into the 30s with a goodly amount of climbs. Over the past year I have seen the range drop dramatically, as my STUNLocker app showed the batter health crop from 100% to 90s, to 80s, and now stuck on 79% for the last several months.

Today's 16.5 mile rock-ride (with some street) burned down to two bars remaining (out of five). The StUNlocker app said I was down to 28% battery, so 16.5/.72 = 23-miles to empty-ish.

So, I have quite a few issues to discuss with my dealer and Shimano.
I will drop it off tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the update. Interesting what you say about Bluetooth connectivity. I'm on the latest software and my phone refuses to pair. Luckily I have the
SMPCe02 which is cable to the laptop and that works fine. Beware of switching speeds up or regions as the latest firmware has a history file for region settings visible using the Shimano etube Pro v5 software on laptop..
My latest issue is similar to yours loads of E010 errors which in the PC software are e01020 motor sensor with take to dealer as solution.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Janc, the eBike tech said he doesn't use bluetooth, always his laptop. He seemed shocked that I would bluetooth into the unit. I don't have the connector or a laptop. Just my trusty 2015 iMac and iPhone.

Anyway, earlier this morning, I took the bike back to the LBS (one-hour round trip). The eByke tech didn't have his laptop there with all the software so he had to riff it.

I told him that all the problems were there, plus more. He witnessed the start-up issue. He eventually got it to keep the start up. When it did start up, he quickly pushed the power button three times. He told me that was a re-set.

He took it for a test ride (probably a couple miles) and reported back that it didn't shut down. I told him that on my Wednesday night ride it took over seven miles for the first error. Nonetheless, he couldn't see it, and didn't have his laptop to diagnose it.

He then used my charger (I brought it) to see how the charging was going. He hooked it up and it went beyond the typical ten-seconds and into a couple of minutes. "There, it appears to be charging." I told him it could take, ten, twenty, or thirty minutes, as this was an intermittent problem.

I told him I would take it home, charge it then do my 16.5 mile loop to test it.

Once home, I hooked it up to the charger. All was normal. I went inside. I came back out a half-hour later and the charging had ceased. I re-plugged multiple times, but every time I came back to the garage after 10 or 20 minutes, the charging had ceased, either with the amber light off, or with the amber light oddly flashing.

This afternoon, I called the owner of the shop. He told me to bring it over and they would submit a warranty claim with Santa Cruz, and see what happens.

I hoisted the Heckler into my truck and dropped it off. I'll be riding my Specialized StumpJumper Carbon World Cup Hardtail for the foreseeable future.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Janc, the eBike tech said he doesn't use bluetooth, always his laptop. He seemed shocked that I would bluetooth into the unit. I don't have the connector or a laptop. Just my trusty 2015 iMac and iPhone.

Anyway, earlier this morning, I took the bike back to the LBS (one-hour round trip). The eByke tech didn't have his laptop there with all the software so he had to riff it.

I told him that all the problems were there, plus more. He witnessed the start-up issue. He eventually got it to keep the start up. When it did start up, he quickly pushed the power button three times. He told me that was a re-set.

He took it for a test ride (probably a couple miles) and reported back that it didn't shut down. I told him that on my Wednesday night ride it took over seven miles for the first error. Nonetheless, he couldn't see it, and didn't have his laptop to diagnose it.

He then used my charger (I brought it) to see how the charging was going. He hooked it up and it went beyond the typical ten-seconds and into a couple of minutes. "There, it appears to be charging." I told him it could take, ten, twenty, or thirty minutes, as this was an intermittent problem.

I told him I would take it home, charge it then do my 16.5 mile loop to test it.

Once home, I hooked it up to the charger. All was normal. I went inside. I came back out a half-hour later and the charging had ceased. I re-plugged multiple times, but every time I came back to the garage after 10 or 20 minutes, the charging had ceased, either with the amber light off, or with the amber light oddly flashing.

This afternoon, I called the owner of the shop. He told me to bring it over and they would submit a warranty claim with Santa Cruz, and see what happens.

I hoisted the Heckler into my truck and dropped it off. I'll be riding my Specialized StumpJumper Carbon World Cup Hardtail for the foreseeable future.
Thanks and good luck.

Whilst the SMPCe02 isn't cheap, especially if your phone connects easily, it at least means you can do all your own diagnostic work and Access logs and reports and present them to the shop. Commencal gave me a good discount when I bought mine. I believe it works on new EP8 also

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Which connectors and how did he clean them?
probably the connectors between the battery and the battery holder. After I got my new motor I still got a couple of E010 errors, but preceded by the error E020 which means there are connections problems between the battery and motor.

I got one of these and it's one of the best investments I have made for my bike:
brush.jpg

Nowadays I always clean the contacts of the battery support before every ride and I have never again had any E010 errors.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
probably the connectors between the battery and the battery holder. After I got my new motor I still got a couple of E010 errors, but preceded by the error E020 which means there are connections problems between the battery and motor.

I got one of these and it's one of the best investments I have made for my bike:
View attachment 76590

Nowadays I always clean the contacts of the battery support before every ride and I have never again had any E010 errors.
Well, today LBS called and said pick up my bike. No bill from Shimano only LBS bill for dismantling shipping and rebuilding with "NEW e8000". Bike was 6 months out of warranty and 1600miles(2600km) only. So I would say a good result from Madison (Shimano UK). Yes a pain to diagnose, be without a bike but good customer service.:)

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I showed at the bike shop today.

The battery was 100% charged using their charger (my charger might have done as well).

I took it out for a test ride to see if I could get it to throw the e010 code.
At 2.75 miles, the assist shut off and I saw the e010 code on my display.

So, I have:

A battery that doesn't get me very far
A charger that might have an issue
And a motor with a likely torque sensor problem.

The eByke tech will be in tomorrow.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
I showed at the bike shop today.

The battery was 100% charged using their charger (my charger might have done as well).

I took it out for a test ride to see if I could get it to throw the e010 code.
At 2.75 miles, the assist shut off and I saw the e010 code on my display.

So, I have:

A battery that doesn't get me very far
A charger that might have an issue
And a motor with a likely torque sensor problem.

The eByke tech will be in tomorrow.
Looking at the details in this thread and a number of similar threads with the Shimano motors have me concerned about my EBike. I have a 3 month old Orbea rise which has the shimano ep8 Motor. The bike does not have a display but i am showing both E01003 and W10300 errors in the log using the ETUBE app. I must admit that I have never actually experienced a problem. But I am certainly concerned that a bike costing near £7,000 should be showing these errors, which seem to be very common and i fear it does not bode well for the future. It has been in for its first service and I made sure that both the LBS and Madison were aware of the log entries at this early stage.

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Update on my 2019 Metapower - got the dreaded W013 followed by a permanent E010 code 5km from the end of my ride a few days ago. Swapped batteries but the E010 code appears as soon as pressure is put on the pedals. The bike has gone back to my local Commencal HQ for inspection. Motor has about 3000km on it.

DrChris

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Update on my 2020 Santa Cruz Heckler.

It took a while, but my LBS finally got around to submitting the warranty claim to Shimano (Santa Cruz only does it for the first year).
With only a couple of weeks left on the 2-year warranty.

Shimano agreed to replace the motor.

While I was at it, I asked the LBS to look into making another warranty claim on the 79% battery.

Shimano agreed to replace the battery.

Bike is all back together.
I currently have it for sale.
Reason for sale? I bought the bike to recuperate my knee ligament. Knee is fine and I have been riding my Stumpy World Cup Carbon Hardtail for several months.

AccousticBiker

Nov 20, 2021
USA
How long did it take for Shimano to replace the motor ? my bike which is only 3 months old has been at the LBS for a month now. Santa cruz didn't help and shimano said they'll replace the motor which is yet to be shipped to LBS.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Bosch break down as well, my friend's Gen 4 needed a new motor at 1,400 miles.

Is your Shimano out of the 2 year warranty? Have you spoken to your LBS about it, you might have some comeback if it's not lasted a "reasonable time"

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l'll be buying Bosch next time, purely because the motors can be repaired.
When my E8000 packs up l am going to be faved with a bill of £1,000 where with a Bosch motor at least l've got a chance of a repair.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Bosch break down as well, my friend's Gen 4 needed a new motor at 1,400 miles.

Is your Shimano out of the 2 year warranty? Have you spoken to your LBS about it, you might have some comeback if it's not lasted a "reasonable time"
Contact Shimano direct and explain the situation. My motor was replaced 6 months out of warranty.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Yeah I would contact the place of purchase
My e8000 packed up with e10 errors at around 1600 miles when the bike was almost 3 and a half years old so well out of warranty
Took the bike to my lbs and they contacted Shimano who wanted the motor back who then supplied me a new motor free of charge

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
There are no internal parts for sale for Shimano motors.
Even if you scavenge from an old motor, I dont think the torque sensor can be replaced easily. It's glued onto the crank axle and calibrated by Shimano when it's manufactured I think.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles