Shimano E8000 E010 Shutdowns

Jeffc919

Apr 21, 2021
Seattle, WA
Update 6/12/21: After 14 months of dealing with the E010 problems discussed below the bike shop finally got to talk to someone a Shimano who knew what they were doing. It turns out the bike has a memory for error events (new feature?) which can be downloaded from the bike computer. In my case the log reported “E01020 – A sensor abnormality was detected in the drive unit. Symptoms: Unable to use the assist function…”. Many events were recorded over a month or so and I am not sure how many events are saved or how long this feature lasts. This was clear evidence that it has been a motor problem not wire issues as previously claimed by Shimano. The kind technician at Shimano shipped a motor overnight to the bike shop, the motor was installed, and I picked up the bike the next day. Two days to fix a problem that has been a nuisance for over a year!

I own two e-bikes that use the Shimano E8000 motor and battery system. One is a Marin bike (my wife’s) which has currently 377 miles on it and the other is a Kona Remote (mine) which has been ridden 701 miles. Both bikes are about one year old. My experience with these bikes has been mixed and I think anyone considering buying a Shimano powered e-bike might be interested what has happened.

The Marin has performed flawlessly, thus no complaints. My Kona bike has been in Shimano authorized bike shops (2) for 89 days during my first year of ownership. More days than I have ridden it! The problem has been intermittent floods of E010 faults that effectively render the motor non-functional. I knew an intermittent problem would be difficult for the bike shops to handle so I kept a meticulous diary of my experience, which is far to long to post here, but I would be happy to share it with anyone who is interested. I have ended up with a pretty good understanding of how the Shimano e-bike system works.

Both bike shops have exhausted wiring and connectivity issues, in my opinion, and I swapped in the Marin battery and still got E010 faults so the battery is not the problem. Once the first bike shop decided the motor was the only remaining suspect, Shimano didn’t like that and they sent me to the Shimano Service Center shop for Seattle. This wasted a huge amount of time bringing the new shop up to speed on my problem. The second, Shimano recommended, shop looked at the bike and replaced a few wires, which were distressed, but could not have caused an E010 fault. I paid for the work but it had no effect. The youtube links below illustrate the problem pretty well. The first shows a more or less complete meltdown and the second a less dramatic but still not acceptable example.

I can’t be the only one with this problem. If anyone has had a similar experience a Shimano e-bike please comment including the resolution of the problem, if any.

Last edited:

Rueben

Jul 26, 2021
Malaysia
Update 6/12/21: After 14 months of dealing with the E010 problems discussed below the bike shop finally got to talk to someone a Shimano who knew what they were doing. It turns out the bike has a memory for error events (new feature?) which can be downloaded from the bike computer. In my case the log reported “E01020 – A sensor abnormality was detected in the drive unit. Symptoms: Unable to use the assist function…”. Many events were recorded over a month or so and I am not sure how many events are saved or how long this feature lasts. This was clear evidence that it has been a motor problem not wire issues as previously claimed by Shimano. The kind technician at Shimano shipped a motor overnight to the bike shop, the motor was installed, and I picked up the bike the next day. Two days to fix a problem that has been a nuisance for over a year!

I own two e-bikes that use the Shimano E8000 motor and battery system. One is a Marin bike (my wife’s) which has currently 377 miles on it and the other is a Kona Remote (mine) which has been ridden 701 miles. Both bikes are about one year old. My experience with these bikes has been mixed and I think anyone considering buying a Shimano powered e-bike might be interested what has happened.

The Marin has performed flawlessly, thus no complaints. My Kona bike has been in Shimano authorized bike shops (2) for 89 days during my first year of ownership. More days than I have ridden it! The problem has been intermittent floods of E010 faults that effectively render the motor non-functional. I knew an intermittent problem would be difficult for the bike shops to handle so I kept a meticulous diary of my experience, which is far to long to post here, but I would be happy to share it with anyone who is interested. I have ended up with a pretty good understanding of how the Shimano e-bike system works.

Both bike shops have exhausted wiring and connectivity issues, in my opinion, and I swapped in the Marin battery and still got E010 faults so the battery is not the problem. Once the first bike shop decided the motor was the only remaining suspect, Shimano didn’t like that and they sent me to the Shimano Service Center shop for Seattle. This wasted a huge amount of time bringing the new shop up to speed on my problem. The second, Shimano recommended, shop looked at the bike and replaced a few wires, which were distressed, but could not have caused an E010 fault. I paid for the work but it had no effect. The youtube links below illustrate the problem pretty well. The first shows a more or less complete meltdown and the second a less dramatic but still not acceptable example.

I can’t be the only one with this problem. If anyone has had a similar experience a Shimano e-bike please comment including the resolution of the problem, if any.

Yes, I also have a similar problem and have yet to solve it. It is just 6 month old.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
Just starting the same issues now.
Bike started cutting in and out, shop replaced wiring cables, 3 rides later noticed bike shorting out again. Then the next ride BOOM!! E020 error followed by E010 error screen froze, then bike turned off. Bike is currently in shop again. Seems to happen every time I hit rocky terrain or larger jumps.

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
Just starting the same issues now.
Bike started cutting in and out, shop replaced wiring cables, 3 rides later noticed bike shorting out again. Then the next ride BOOM!! E020 error followed by E010 error screen froze, then bike turned off. Bike is currently in shop again. Seems to happen every time I hit rocky terrain or larger jumps.
Similar problems on mine but I've dropped the f/w back to 4.8 - don't want to speak too soon but 300+ miles and..................:censored:

JimmyBoy

Subscriber
Jun 7, 2019
UK
Not sure how your batteries are installed but my Canyon has an external battery. In summer 2019 I had the E010 error after riding a bumpy gravel section and also noticed the battery was rattling.
When I got home I cleaned all the contacts and tried to tighten the battery mount as suggested by Shimao but that did not stop the battery rattling so now I have a Velcro strap around my battery (see my Avatar)and have not had this problem again.
I also used contact grease on the battery contacts which has been designed to remove or prevent the build-up of oxides and other contaminants on the surface. I apply it sparingly with a cheap glue brush. Be careful with conductive grease on terminals, it is conductive and could short out the terminal.

Reactions: Edd

Thimlicek

Sep 23, 2019
Tilburg
Hello everybody, my Scott have same issue probably. I have also error E010 but it come only if bike stay for 10-20 seconds. For me that mean that cannot stop pedaling 😁
I also cleaned all contacts, change display and switch but still same issue.
Have you any idea why it happened?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Hello everybody, my Scott have same issue probably. I have also error E010 but it come only if bike stay for 10-20 seconds. For me that mean that cannot stop pedaling 😁
I also cleaned all contacts, change display and switch but still same issue.
Have you any idea why it happened?
I hope your Scott's still under warranty, because it's probably the torque sensor. As far as I've been able to tell, it can't be repaired and no replacements are available, so complete motor replacement is the only option.

Read this Fakebook post by Tenea Mircea for a detailed analysis.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles