• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano E8000 derestricting options

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey @thebarber
Did new connectors finally solve your peartune issues?
I've had W011 errors for the last 3 rides when derestricted.
if I switch off and back to derestricted (using the light function) it's all good again.
After the first time it happened I opened the casing and found a fair bit of debris so cleaned that up, cleaned the connectors greased them and re-connected. Derestricted worked again with no error code.
Then today I got the W011 again. Same thing.
When reconnecting I noticed the PT connector wouldn't click into place (rear left socket of the three) like the proper shimano ones do and think this might be the issue.
I'll whap the case off again when I get a chance later tonight and try and figure out if I can get that connector more securely attached.

Where did you get hold of proper shimano connectors?

TIA

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I bought a new sensor and spliced it on.
It lasted a lot longer but eventually gave an error after a river crossing so I fukt it off and emaxed it.

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Gary
Downloaded minimax software to connect with PCE-1 and after reading software instructions the licence key is strictly one bike.Looking to buy licence key in couple of weeks to convert top speed to USA 20mph

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary
Downloaded minimax software to connect with PCE-1 and after reading software instructions the licence key is strictly one bike.Looking to buy licence key in couple of weeks to convert top speed to USA 20mph
Thanks mate.
theBarber actually PMd me and explained the whole PCE1/mini/Emax thing for me.
sounds a good option if 20mph is all you want.
with a proper clean out and re-seal of the connector compartment (and plugging a gap - details in the vitus Esommet thread) my Peartune is working fine again (for how long i don't know though)

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Im running a vitus 2019 (Shimano steps 8000) with badass 4.0 which works great, but it’s now limited by high end gearing, I’ve gone as big as I can on the front ring (36T) which has improved slightly. Are there any options to reduce the smallest rear cassette size from 11? (11-46)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You could fit a sram XD rear freehub/wheel and go GX 10-46 cassette.
I have this cassette on my regular enduro bike and really like it (32T ring though) but personally I wouldn't ever want a 10T sprocket on an Emtb. - too little chain wrap and too quickly worn out if used a lot. Plus XD 11speed cassettes are more expensive than SLX (double the price).

I'd suggest simply learning to spin faster. I can reach over 32mph pedalling on the flat on my gearing fairly easily simply by spinning.
You only need to be able to hold 120rpm to reach that and if practiced you should be able to increase your comfortable spinning cadence higher than that fairly quickly.

32mph on off road mtb trails is mental fast and anything above that down a decent gradient freewheeling and tucking is going to gain you as much speed anyway.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
You could fit a sram XD rear freehub/wheel and go GX 10-46 cassette.
I have this cassette on my regular enduro bike and really like it (32T ring though) but personally I wouldn't ever want a 10T sprocket on an Emtb. - too little chain wrap and too quickly worn out if used a lot. Plus XD 11speed cassettes are more expensive than SLX (double the price).

I'd suggest simply learning to spin faster. I can reach over 32mph pedalling on the flat on my gearing fairly easily simply by spinning.
You only need to be able to hold 120rpm to reach that and if practiced you should be able to increase your comfortable spinning cadence higher than that fairly quickly.

32mph on off road mtb trails is mental fast and anything above that down a decent gradient freewheeling and tucking is going to gain you as much speed anyway.
Thanks mate, I should have said though I ride my e-sommet daily and have 2 sets of wheels, I’m happy with the stock wheels for forest bashing but my commute is flat and fast road and rutted fire track for 14 miles, and with the 11-46 XT cassette I look like I’m straight out of a cartoon for most of my screaming run in lol. Legs can’t move fast enough!

So maybe i will try a 10-46 on my commuter set as they will never get treated too harshly?

Reactions: PGR

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
maybe i will try a 10-46 on my commuter set as they will never get treated too harshly?
SRAM also does a 10-42 but it's more expensive than you'll find GX discounted to and doesn't offer much in closer ratios at the top end (smallest sprockets).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
SRAM make HG (shimano) compatible cassettes and XD (SRAM) compatible cassettes.
The only way to run lower than an 11T srrocket is to run XD or Shimano's newer XTR. Both require their respective dedicated freehub body.
replacement XD freehub bodies are available for many popular hubs.

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
Anyone else getting a poor customer support experience with ebiketuning.com?
Bought a kit from them this Monday, have been trying to contact them since and no response at all.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Gearing on derestricted Shimano?

Have yet to receive my new bike. Wanting to derestrict since i will be riding trails in the weekend AND commuting to work (tarmac/gravel/forest) almost every work day. Highest gear on the bike is 11 in the back and 32 front. The plan os to go with Sram NX Eagle and a 38 ring in front. This way it will keep a decent low gear (50back/38front) and a higher top gear (11back/38front)
NX Eagle will hopefully also provide a cheaper cassette and possibly stronger - read that it is the only Sram cassette officially emtb approved - might be wrong :)
The bike will be covering a lot of ground in all conditions year round even road salt in winter YIKES!!!
Will the high gear be high enough?
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. My highest gear on my commuter emtb is 38x11 and I can reach 42mph (downhill and not spun out)
100rpm is about 28mph (27.5 2.0 tyres)

Dude1977

Aug 14, 2019
Finland
Peartune "Still on" version and firmware downgrade worked for me. There is ease way for downgrading in stepsunlocker site. Peartune will not work correct with latest Shimano FW. You will experience power cut out & error message in approx every 5 km.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
change region to 20mph
and change wheelsize to:
(your genuine wheel circumference) X 0.621

Next switch the display settings to show in Km
the speed digits shown will now be your correct speed in MPH
(As will distance and Avg speed etc.)

Your motor will now assist to an actual speed of 32.1mph

Tuplis

Mar 16, 2019
Finland
Just used steps unlocker to e7000 with newest firmware. Works like a dream

Just changed wheel circ so that I can get assist up to ~28kmh... So that I can keep up with old grannies whitout sweating while commuting :D

Before I maxed at 23,5kmh (gps)

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
Just used steps unlocker to e7000 with newest firmware. Works like a dream

Just changed wheel circ so that I can get assist up to ~28kmh... So that I can keep up with old grannies whitout sweating while commuting :D

Before I maxed at 23,5kmh (gps)

If you don't mind me asking what did you cha ge your wheel circumstance too? I tried with the app and it was a percentage base. I changed it to -5% and updated which said it did it. But still the bike maxed out at 25kph. I am using latest firmware for bike.

Also on the app there seems no option at all to change the region fro EU to US. As even that extra 5mph would do me.

Any help?

Dude1977

Aug 14, 2019
Finland
If you don't mind me asking what did you cha ge your wheel circumstance too? I tried with the app and it was a percentage base. I changed it to -5% and updated which said it did it. But still the bike maxed out at 25kph. I am using latest firmware for bike.

Also on the app there seems no option at all to change the region fro EU to US. As even that extra 5mph would do me.

Any help?
HI,

I assume that you are talking about Stepsunlocker app? I think you need to order license key to access wheel size and region adjustments. Otherwise functionality is more or less the same than in E-tube project app.

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
HI,

I assume that you are talking about Stepsunlocker app? I think you need to order license key to access wheel size and region adjustments. Otherwise functionality is more or less the same than in E-tube project app.

Arrr cheers. Also if anything went wrong with my motor and I needed warranty. Would they be able to tell with this that I had specifically done something to void warranty?

Thanks in advance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles