• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano E8000 derestricting options

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it will. Send me a PM with your address and I'll post you a strip of mastic

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Only if you put your return address on it - if I find out you've dipped it in novichok when I start throthing at the mouth I want to have some anthrax ready to pop in the return post to you ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
haha
There's a 30ft roll here. entirely up to you if you want to risk it

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just been out to try out the difference the 36T ring makes on the flat again.
top speed reached was 31mph (GPS). Cadence reading 115rpm. still assisting. seems fairly legit.
No wonder Jeans and a Tshirt aren't the TT riders clothing of choice. ;)

slow speed but fairly fast cadence light pedalling force in 42T sprocket still causes intermittent cut out. Not that it's a sensible gear/mode to ever use but y'know.. nice to know for nerding about n that.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Now... this is weird

I was just out (had time to waste) riding around the village Bored and mesing around in the street rather than on any trails.
Thought I'd try the lowest gearing in boost to see if it cuts out. (told you I was bored) it wouldn't, not at faster than walking pace anyway. Great it seems to be fixed!
This got me thinking about what I'd previously said about the assist cutting off at around 130rpm (Back when the bike was new before any firmware update).
I'm not sure how accurate the built in cadence meter is but from experience it's definitely not far out. but I did a couple of short spin ups in bottom gear on the flat road just to see where abouts the motor stops assisting.. and it wouldn't stop assisting. I only took it upto 160rpm first try, then 200rpm... no cut out. finally I spun upto 220rpm a few of times. no cut out.
I was in jeans so didn't really want to try much harder but it seems that the system doesn't cut out at all due to cadence anymore. This seems like it can only have changed through firmware updates.
Does anyone know where we can read what is actually in each firmware update? (infact is there anywhere to read what's included?)

Carlbaggott

Oct 9, 2018
Dudley
Hi All,

New to this forum but hoping you can help. I have just fitted a Peartune MSO purchased from E Bike tuning to my Shimano Steps E8000 with Di2.

Activated the lights on in the phone E tube app then you can switch between lights off and on in the on screen display on the bike.

Problem is that the motor seems to cut in and out when pedalling and as of yet I can’t determine a pattern although at faster speeds and pedalling it does seem to be less noticeable.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
Hi All,

New to this forum but hoping you can help. I have just fitted a Peartune MSO purchased from E Bike tuning to my Shimano Steps E8000 with Di2.

Activated the lights on in the phone E tube app then you can switch between lights off and on in the on screen display on the bike.

Problem is that the motor seems to cut in and out when pedalling and as of yet I can’t determine a pattern although at faster speeds and pedalling it does seem to be less noticeable.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.
Did you sort the problem with the peartune?

Carlbaggott

Oct 9, 2018
Dudley
Not yet, I think it may be something to do with over spinning the pedals in certain gears but probably need a longer test to figure it out.

If it wasn’t for this issue this would be perfect as I like the on/off feature, the connectors are supposedly genuine parts and very easy to connect and after speaking to my bike shop they said it would not affect my warranty with them.

Don’t really want to change the chainring gearing as some suggestions.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
Not yet, I think it may be something to do with over spinning the pedals in certain gears but probably need a longer test to figure it out.

If it wasn’t for this issue this would be perfect as I like the on/off feature, the connectors are supposedly genuine parts and very easy to connect and after speaking to my bike shop they said it would not affect my warranty with them.

Don’t really want to change the chainring gearing as some suggestions.
Ok mate keep me posted if poss.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
My 11 month old badass shimano unit, has just stopped working this week and there is no number tophone the place to ask about it. Had to email them instead. Has anyone else had problems?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My 11 month old badass shimano unit, has just stopped working this week and there is no number tophone the place to ask about it. Had to email them instead. Has anyone else had problems?
11 months is still under manufacturers warranty
Did you buy from ebiketuning ? I have found their email and contact form response to be non existent. I'm not sure if it's a poor customer service, language barrier or some sort of Email/server issue but it isn't good either way.
I'd keep trying to contact them by every means you can think of.
good luck

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
They passed me straight over to peartune who replaced my 'broken' peartune chip, turns out it was just the bad plug that goes into motor which I've chopped off and replaced with a shimano one, so far so good

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
11 months is still under manufacturers warranty
Did you buy from ebiketuning ? I have found their email and contact form response to be non existent. I'm not sure if it's a poor customer service, language barrier or some sort of Email/server issue but it isn't good either way.
I'd keep trying to contact them by every means you can think of.
good luck
Yes, it was from ebiketuning and you are right, still no response. Am going to get the new version from a place in UK. Electric bike sales.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
If anyone has a used BadassBox, Speedbox or other solution they want to sell at less than retail let me know. Would like to try my E8000 at 32km/h or more, but not sure it's important enough to spend ~$300 on. Does anyone know how the Shimano reps do it? I'm tempted to take mine to NZ and get it done by a rep there (NZ allows 32km/h). Just wouldn't be able to actually ride it there as I wouldn't have a battery...

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
If anyone has a used BadassBox, Speedbox or other solution they want to sell at less than retail let me know. Would like to try my E8000 at 32km/h or more, but not sure it's important enough to spend ~$300 on. Does anyone know how the Shimano reps do it? I'm tempted to take mine to NZ and get it done by a rep there (NZ allows 32km/h). Just wouldn't be able to actually ride it there as I wouldn't have a battery...
I have BADASS freeze for sale (unused) if you're interested.

20180828_175427.jpg

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Managed to get out today on local trails and got an inconsistent w011 code so assume it's the chip - bike interface again.
Pulled the chip and worked champion, thing is I hate the 15mph barrier so want something better than this.
What's out there that'll de-restrict properly giving all the right info on the dash?
Found this on YouTube.....

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Would anyone outside the EU be able to ship a BadassBikes Box 4 Shimano to me in the US? Looking to avoid the VAT tax and can't find a dealer who will ship to the US

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Installed my badass box 4 last weekend, works like a charm just like the 3.4 version does on my bosch bike.. now it feels like a proper e-bike! Thing I like about the badass is that its non intrusive so easily removable "when required" i.e. tear it off and swallow it or stick it up my ass with one hand while holding spleen in with the other when ploughed over by a bus to avoid blame. secondly they are non detectable as long as you put the original magnet back on spokes so waranty remains valid! sweet

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Managed to get out today on local trails and got an inconsistent w011 code so assume it's the chip - bike interface again.
Pulled the chip and worked champion, thing is I hate the 15mph barrier so want something better than this.
What's out there that'll de-restrict properly giving all the right info on the dash?
Found this on YouTube.....
I use EMAX works perfectly with firmware 4.3.2 and hear it works with 4.6 But half the display reading. Emax can update you to 4.3.2 and FreeMax will adjust Eco ,Trail, and Boost in 1% increments. great tech support also

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Yeah I got emax and run it with 4.6 ATM.
I've got another thread going , I'm trying to get more from the battery by reducing all modes.
When I get this where I want I might try 4.3.2 and get a bit more from the motor

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Bought myself the Shimano PCE1 interface and looking to go Emax route.Quick question before I download the free software edition is it possible to set speed to USA without the licensed serial number .20mph seems like a sweet cutoff point for now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles