• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano E8000 derestricting options

Vio

Aug 24, 2021
Canberra
Hey All - Firstly - Great thread, and thank you to everyone for the information.

So i have set the region and the wheel circumference on the E8000 (Thanks Gary)....and yeah it is working a treat. Great news is you still have to work for the assist at the higher speed. So love it. Money well spend.

However, maybe just me, but when I stop pedaling the bike really really slows down, like there is some resistance there. Like the motor has not completely disengaged. Very noticeable.

Anyone else notice this? is it normal.....i mean, it not like a massive brake....but its noticeable

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Bikes also slow down at higher speed due to wind resistance.. Infact. On flat on a roadbike with fast rolling low resistance tyres that's the main force you are pushing against and it ramps up fast the quicker you are travelling.

Drag from the Shimano motor is absolutely tiny. As above with a pair of heavy casing super grippy DH tyres at lowish pressure you can be losing upwards of 140w just in rolling resistance

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
It’s great isn’t it!
Remember you will use more battery though so if planning longer rides take that into account.
There is a downside, if you can call it that....
Your odometer will no longer record any meaningful distance...Sure, current speed and distance is a neat conversion algorithm of KPH to MPH....
The UK limit of 15mph is onerous. The USA limit transforms the bike, for me....
Im not sure i care about passing the US limit on flat boring sections ...just cos I can. Personally, Id like to have a record of the bikes real world mileage....Juice vs Squeeze i guess !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Use a basic GPS unit. (or your phone)
I don't have a shimano display on my Ebike at all.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Held off doing this till bike out of warranty then didnt get round to it as got kind of used to the standard restriction but finally sorted today.

Enormous thanks to both Gary for the elegantly thought out workaraound (30mph+ assist with roughly accuracte speedo) and ST Unlocker for the software.

Worth every penny of the £32.

Vas

Nov 23, 2019
Greece
change region to 20mph
and change wheelsize to:
(your genuine wheel circumference) X 0.621

Next switch the display settings to show in Km
the speed digits shown will now be your correct speed in MPH
(As will distance and Avg speed etc.)

Your motor will now assist to an actual speed of 32.1mph
My Wheelsize 29x2.25 --->Circumference 2313
2313 x 0.621=1436
What is the actual speed that my motor will assist up to? How do you calculate it?

BTW, thanks for your advice!!

Last edited:

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Hey All - Firstly - Great thread, and thank you to everyone for the information.

So i have set the region and the wheel circumference on the E8000 (Thanks Gary)....and yeah it is working a treat. Great news is you still have to work for the assist at the higher speed. So love it. Money well spend.

However, maybe just me, but when I stop pedaling the bike really really slows down, like there is some resistance there. Like the motor has not completely disengaged. Very noticeable.

Anyone else notice this? is it normal.....i mean, it not like a massive brake....but its noticeable
I have that feeling with resistance from motor without pedaling same as you on EP8. Bike is not derestricted. It's just that feeleng like the bike is slowing down instantly when you are close to speed limit 25km/h so I hope deresrricrion can help. So there is a drag from motor for sure.

whitewater

Jun 10, 2023
Quebec
Hey there, has anybody had issue with SpeedBox and the latest version of Shimano firmware. Long story short, I’ve been running I believe 4.0.9 fine and have upgraded to 4.0.10 and the shop has been telling me that Shimano either in the current or upcoming software is bricking motors when they detect tempering. I didn’t press on the issue my SpeedBox is off now and I am waiting to learn a bit more about this potential issue before I reinstall it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles