Shimano display with moisture condensation inside

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I am the proud owner of a bike Ghost Hybride Kato 8.7 with Shimano Steps E8000, and I am very happy with it except for a very minor disturbance, in sunny days my display is showing some water condensation inside, that can be viewed from outside and covers the display numbers.

I live in Spain and close to the Mediterranean coast, so not too much rain here, I clean the display with dry rags, E8000 is water resistant, all bottom connectors are witha cable or cover, so I believe that this is not normal.

I contacted my LBS and they contacted Spanish Shimano Distributor, and their answer was to send the display to for repair, but they did not offer me a display replacement, so this means that I'd be 2 to 4 weeks with my bike not operative because of the display repair. I did some Internet searches, and all I found that that the display has no internal spare parts, can not be repaired but has to be replaced.

Has anybody had this issue and knows how to fix it or I should ask for a warranty replacement display?

Display 4.jpg

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If the unit is removable try putting it in a sealed bag or airtight container with rice or silicone gel bags (those small satchets that come with new shoes etc), to see if they can absorb any moisture.
You could try heating the screen with a hair dryer but make sure it doesn't get too hot.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am going to ask a stupid question, but sometimes its the obvious things that get forgotten - have you taken the protective film that come on the screen when new? If not may just be moisture under this

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I cannot disagree with the advice from Jackware.

Here is another thought. I got some water inside a watch and the droplets condensed on the watch glass and obscured the face. I wore the watch to bed that night and in the morning the condensation was gone.

So, try storing the display in a warm dry environment overnight and that should do the trick.

Cat litter absorbs moisture very well too, so if you can't get silica gel, or the rice didn't work, it would be worth a shot. I would put the display right on the cat litter and pour more on top of it, then put the whole mix in a warm place.

PS: When I wash my bike I don't take any special precautions to keep the display dry. I don't use a jet wash, just a bucket and a watering can. But you have got me wondering abut just how waterproof the display actually is! :unsure:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am going to ask a stupid question, but sometimes its the obvious things that get forgotten - have you taken the protective film that come on the screen when new? If not may just be moisture under this

Protective film? I must go and have a look........................................................................
Nope!
Good suggestion though. :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Mine does that sometimes ...doesnt last long ...so have not bothered about it and YES protective film still in place even after 750 miles and a few spills ..shows the unit is pretty well positioned to avoid scrapes.
Have fun

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Thank you for the answers

And yes, when I noticed the moisture, the first thing I did was to remove the protective film, but thank you for pointing that out.

I checked the display and there are no screws, looks like the case was closed by "ultrasonic welding" after assembly of the electronics, probably in a Chinese factory without appropriate quality and air moisture controls, so the moisture was "trapped" inside the display.

My fear is that this internal moisture inside the display, someday will create a short circuit in electronics, causing a display malfunction, that's the reason why I'd like this fixed ASAP.

As the complete bike is still in warranty I am trying to get this fixed by Shimano. I will let you know when this happens

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I have just had mine returned under warranty as mine did this at the start and eventually pixelated and stopped working altogether. Bike was cutting out too.Shop was good enough to give me a loan of another one in the meantime. I think there was another mention of this problem elsewhere on this forum.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Mine has been doing this for a while now , it’s drying out with the recent sunny weather but , I do fear it will cause it to fail eventually , I guess I’ll have to send it off . Would be nice to see if there is a way of connecting the wires without the display sonthr bike can still be used , this question was being asked in another thread so keen to find an answer

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
The end of the story is that the store took my old display and sent it to Shimano Spain, in the meantime the store lent me a substitue display. And 5 days later Shimano Spain sent a brand new display SCE8000B as a warranty replacement and I am a happy camper again.

So thumbs up for Shimano Spain

BriT

Apr 13, 2019
Uk
Mine has been doing this for a while now , it’s drying out with the recent sunny weather but , I do fear it will cause it to fail eventually , I guess I’ll have to send it off . Would be nice to see if there is a way of connecting the wires without the display sonthr bike can still be used , this question was being asked in another thread so keen to find an answer

BriT

Apr 13, 2019
Uk
I'm on my second display, the first one was replaced by the dealer after 7mths and now the replacement display has gone the same way after 11mths.

Gazrock

Apr 5, 2023
England
I am the proud owner of a bike Ghost Hybride Kato 8.7 with Shimano Steps E8000, and I am very happy with it except for a very minor disturbance, in sunny days my display is showing some water condensation inside, that can be viewed from outside and covers the display numbers.

I live in Spain and close to the Mediterranean coast, so not too much rain here, I clean the display with dry rags, E8000 is water resistant, all bottom connectors are witha cable or cover, so I believe that this is not normal.

I contacted my LBS and they contacted Spanish Shimano Distributor, and their answer was to send the display to for repair, but they did not offer me a display replacement, so this means that I'd be 2 to 4 weeks with my bike not operative because of the display repair. I did some Internet searches, and all I found that that the display has no internal spare parts, can not be repaired but has to be replaced.

Has anybody had this issue and knows how to fix it or I should ask for a warranty replacement display?

View attachment 11344
On my second display now and that is also starting to mist up. First replaced without a problem after about six months. (England)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles