• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Shimano display on 35mm bars

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Hey all,

I've just upgraded to 35mm bars and trying to place my e8000 display unit/screen next to the stem. Is there a 35mm mount available to do this? If so does anyone know what it's called or the part number?

Thank you!

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I used a zip tie for a temporary solution. It's been on there for over a year as I forgot about it. Nice to know there is correct clamp available.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have 35mm bars. My shim display is just mounted a bit further away from the clamp, where the bars start to narrow

is it not at an odd angle now?

I like that Shimano actually thought about this. and designed the display to be in as protected a position as possible right next to the stem and shielded by the bars/stem. I'm a massive crasher. (I don't crash all that often but when I do it can be a full seeing stars "where's the hell's my bike?" type of crash) so this means a lot to me when the display is so expensive. I don't think mounting it loose, outboard or with a ziptie would have worked out too well for me so far. smashed and bent the E8000 shifters multiple times (now running far better tucked away and protected E7000 shifters)

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
If you are a spectacular crasher, it's better to not have levers and display unit too tight. They can then move with any impact, and be repositioned when you finally find the bike again.

IMG_4136.JPG

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you are a spectacular crasher, it's better to not have levers and display unit too tight. They can then move with any impact, and be repositioned when you finally find the bike again.
Yeah. That's true of brake and gear levers and something i've been doing on all my bikes for well over 25 years.
but when it comes to an easily broken £200 electronic display that was designed to sit in the perfect position to protect it from cartwheel style crashes i'd rather it wasn't positioned somewhere else or ziptied so it could move too easily into the firing line mid crash. Mine isn't done up too tight BTW.

I almost mounted my display in the same position as yours to fit this magicshine bike light mount:
but decided the display was no longer protected suficiently further out and on the wonk (like yours is). So ordered the single clamp magicshine mount below
magicshine-eagle-m2-led-bike-light-talon-mount-bike-front-light-2400-lumens-waterproof-light-1981.jpg
and mount it on the other side of my stem from the display instead. a shame really as the other mount places the light centrally over your stem.

I'd have to be incredibly unlucky for the E8000 display to make contact before my bars and stem in the event of a crash. Trust me it's been thoroughly tested ;)

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
In Spain, thanks

I have the EC-S7000 display so I need this part number: Y79G01030

P.D: However they look the same design to me (the one for the ec-s8000 and ec-s7000 clamp)

Try the zip tie first. The clamp is really flexible and you can leave the display in the correct spot if you use a very thin zip (cable) tie. It's just like using a very very long bolt, but a flexible one. Trim the end to make it neat.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles