Shimano BT-E8035 battery weight reduction

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
Hi! Normal Shimano BT-E8035 battery weights 2.9kg. I wonder if it would be possible to remove 50% of "cells" from this battery to cut battery weight to half? Has someone tried this and could this be new battery segment for Shimano for riders using eco-mode and try to minimize ebikes total weight (similar to Levo SL). I would be interested to buy such battery if such would be available on the market.

Cheers,
Esa

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Hi! Normal Shimano BT-E8035 battery weights 2.9kg. I wonder if it would be possible to remove 50% of "cells" from this battery to cut battery weight to half? Has someone tried this and could this be new battery segment for Shimano for riders using eco-mode and try to minimize ebikes total weight (similar to Levo SL). I would be interested to buy such battery if such would be available on the market.

Cheers,
Esa
I totally agree, plenty of bikes out there that have a relatively low weight and certainly some riders would appreciate a smaller battery that fits in the same space as the bigger one (with weight all at the bottom) a smaller battery shouldn't be nearly as expensive as a full size spare. That way you can choose your ride weight based on desired range.

I have a Norco VLT with built in battery so no joy for me on that front but often use less than half so would probably regularly choose to lose a kg or more from the bike if I had the option.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Theoretically you could remove half the cells, so long as you maintained the battery pack's cell architecture.
So for instance if the batteries are arranged in groups of six cells, you would need to remove three from each group, which you could do, as long as they were not series wired.
lf they were series wired then you'd have to remove whole groups, rather than half the cells from each group.
The overall pack voltage would have to be the same, and you may find the BMS notices the change in cell architecture and shuts the pack down.
Best of luck with it. And watch out for fires! If the BMS still thinks you've got a full compliment of cells it may overcharge. No going to the shops or walking the dog while it's charging.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Theoretically you could remove half the cells, so long as you maintained the battery pack's cell architecture.
So for instance if the batteries are arranged in groups of six cells, you would need to remove three from each group, which you could do, as long as they were not series wired.
lf they were series wired then you'd have to remove whole groups, rather than half the cells from each group.
The overall pack voltage would have to be the same, and you may find the BMS notices the change in cell architecture and shuts the pack down.
Best of luck with it. And watch out for fires! If the BMS still thinks you've got a full compliment of cells it may overcharge. No going to the shops or walking the dog while it's charging.
It may not be capable of providing the required current though with half the cells missing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles