• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Shimano BT-E8016

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I'm considering upgrading my Merida e onesixty external battery to a 630wh BT-E8016
I've seen one on ebay but from Germany for around £100 less than here but was wondering if I would have to pay import taxes/duty on it
Has anyone had experience importing a battery?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
finding a carrier for a single lithium battery will not be easy or cheap. They are usually shipped in a bike which carries fewer restrictions or several together in a special case with certification of their status.. The battery will not have been made in Germany so yes import duty will apply, plus ( assuming one can be sourced) a courrier admin charges for that. The battery may be advertised net of VAT? If so VAT will be payable on import. Unlikely you will get the battery any cheaper!! If you buy in the UK you have somewhere to return it if it fails, and you are supporting UK business and jobs.........whats not to like!!

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Ok thanks, it's advertised on ebay uk with international shipping but does say to check yourself on taxes/duty but it's not easy to get a straight answer
I do have 2 504wh batteries at the moment but I'm finding the range is a bit limited.
Maybe it's time for a new bike 🤔

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles