Shimano Battery warranty at 80% degradation

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I am starting this thread with the purpose to talk about the Shimano warranty for batteries and share the experiences to get our battery warrantied before it arrives to the 60% degradation.

Some bike suppliers like E-Thirteen, Spesh and others, when they see in this forum a customer with a problem, they quickly jump in the thread and provide a solution and normally covered by warranty. But as for Shimano, they do not even provide any help but tell their lawyers to remove any specification in the documentation, his programmers to remove any BATTERY LIFE number in e-TUBE app, so we do not have any documentation to backup a claim.

But luckily, documents are not erased in Internet and old documents can still be found. I am attaching one of the pages of a 2019 Shimano Steps Service Manual, where it specifies that the battery should have 80% of the charge at 500 cycles or 60% at 1000 cycles. But since then the number of 80% charge at 500cycles has disappeared from shimano documentation. But I suppose that the figure 80% charge at 500cycles as showed in this document is still legally binding.

Has anybody successfully used this specification to get Shimano warranty the battery at 80% charge?
Shimano Battery Warranty 1.jpg

Last edited:

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
My LBS has put a request for warranty for battery at 80% after 60 cycles been four weeks and madison have not responded

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
as for Shimano, they do not even provide any help but tell their lawyers to remove any specification in the documentation,

So... what's your beef?
Is there a problem with your battery?
Or are you angry with Shimano's lawyers so you're going to punish them by making them replace your functional battery?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Thats pretty poor to not even have responded in that time IMO.

Out of interest, how has the process worked? Did you just take your battery in, they tested it and sent of the request to Madison? I'm guessing you still have the battery in the meantime?

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
Thats pretty poor to not even have responded in that time IMO.

Out of interest, how has the process worked? Did you just take your battery in, they tested it and sent of the request to Madison? I'm guessing you still have the battery in the meantime?
well just took it into lbs were I bought it, lost a lot of range as well, they did service report and sent it in to madison, lbs bike have been chasing but nothing, worst of it my first bike which was a vitus had to be sent back to CRC as battery at 80% after 65 cycles and motor faults and a cracked frame and they said couldn’t be fixed and gave me a full refund so bought this to replace it’s a GT and from a lbs I have to say I won’t be buying a shimano emtb again

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a Focus Jam2 with Shimano motor and Focus battery to Shimano spec. I will be selling them both.

Yesterday, I asked my local Focus dealer if he could provide a condition report on the frame battery and the TEC pack. He said yes he could, it would cost £25 per battery and they would do all the updates while they were at it (for a TEC pack?). I asked what sort of info do I get for £25. He went to consult one of his mates and came back to tell me "You get battery is OK or NOT OK".

What! I was looking for a lot more than that; stuff like number of charging cycles, battery life and loads of other stuff that In can't remember that other people get, the sort of stuff that a buyer would be looking for a used bike and TEC pack. "Not with Shimano mate, just OK or NOT OK, sorry, but that's Shimano for you!"

Not happy with that. Is it a Shimano thing or just that dealer?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Have you tried with STUNLOCK?
I suppose that Focus battery should meet Shimano specs to communicate with motor and display, and may be STUNLOCK will display status same as for E8000 and Shimano Battery.

EDIT: Name of the APP is STUNLOCKER

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I paid £30 for a report on my old Bosch battery and that was 25% off!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have you tried with STUNLOCK?
I suppose that Focus battery should meet Shimano specs to communicate with motor and display, and may be STUNLOCK will display status same as for E8000 and Shimano Battery.
Will Stunlock also report on the TEC pack?
I suppose I have to install Stunlock to see the battery condition?
Will Focus/Shimano be able to tell I have installed Stunlock, even if only to see the battery reports?
I currently use my mobile's ETUBE Project app; will I be able to load Stunlock onto my mobile as well, or do I have to download to my laptop? If to my laptop, how do I connect to the batteries?

I Googled Stunlock and everything was £179, with a few at £155. Is that about right?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My LBS has put a request for warranty for battery at 80% after 60 cycles been four weeks and madison have not responded
Other than BT-E8010 and E8014 Madison are out of stock of all Shimano steps batteries for quite some time.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You would think they'd hold some back for warranty...

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Is there a way of getting hold of an old version of an app on Android store? I have an old version of the Shimano STEPS 'tablet' app on an Amazon fire device and can run diagnostic reports including battery health from that (or I could until I sold my Shimano bike for a Bosch one).

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Is there a way of getting hold of an old version of an app on Android store? I have an old version of the Shimano STEPS 'tablet' app on an Amazon fire device and can run diagnostic reports including battery health from that (or I could until I sold my Shimano bike for a Bosch one).

Play Store does not keep old versions, there are two chances:

A web page keeps a copy of the old version APP, which is not the case.

Somebody that has this old version etube installed in an Android device uses APP named APK EXTRACTOR that can create an APK Android installation file from the old version etube APP, and if it is posted here or in other place and is distribute, then anybody could download, install it and diagnose the battery

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles