Shimano Battery Questions

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Hello,

I'm going to buy a spare battery, current model is E8010, does anyone know if Shimano are going to release an improved capacity battery at all in the near future?

I would also like to buy a "get me home" battery that was say 1/3 capacity of normal battery that is easier to carry in a backpack, does anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I was only saying the same yesterday when I used one and bit batteries a small battery to get an extra few miles would be great . Or a higher capacity but i know of nothing .
Have a good look around there were some good deals out there on shimano batteries , well under £500

sw1e

Dec 26, 2018
notts
I think there will be a slightly smaller battery released soon to go with the E7000 motor, it listed on the website as a E8014 418wh.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I have a spare battery and to be fair once in my pack and strapped in I don't really notice the weight. I've often thought a "get you battery" would be a good shout. Bearing in mind Shimano also do a downtube battery as well I'd like to see someone produce a bike with an internal battery and a dock for the E8010 for those longer rides

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think there will be a slightly smaller battery released soon to go with the E7000 motor, it listed on the website as a E8014 418wh.

This battery has been around for ages and fitted to bikes with E6000 motors. it's exactly the same size as the E8000 504wh battery and listed weight is exactly the same too.
I have seen them for sale at £309 though. So there is that.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem with the Focus battery is that you are dependent on using the TEC pack for extra range as you can't remove the battery without dropping the motor, and the TEC pack puts a load of weight where you don't want it.

I wish they had made it so that you could swap out the downtime battery easily.

sw1e

Dec 26, 2018
notts
This battery has been around for ages and fitted to bikes with E6000 motors. it's exactly the same size as the E8000 504wh battery and listed weight is exactly the same too.
I have seen them for sale at £309 though. So there is that.
Didn't realise that, though the E6000 came with a E6010 battery.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
The problem with the Focus battery is that you are dependent on using the TEC pack for extra range as you can't remove the battery without dropping the motor, and the TEC pack puts a load of weight where you don't want it.

I wish they had made it so that you could swap out the downtube battery easily.

Totally agree. This is my only gripe about the Jam everything else is good,, well except the derailleur ...but these things are my pet
hate...roll on integral gearboxes.
Have fun all

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
So, for example 2919 Sommet, (lower priced version) comes with e7000 system, 2 questions....
1)How do you know what battery it comes with, 418 or a 504 wh ? ( CRC don’t tell you)
2) will battery be interchangeable with my current e8000 system (Sentier 2018)?..... my assumption is “yes” but I need it confirming!! ?

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I have a Merida Hybrid that has a e6000 motor and a e8010 battery which doubles up as a spare for my 160. I didnt know about the e8014 tbh, every days a school day

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
But he bought it for a Focus bike, the word "Shimano" is clearly on the motor!
And Peaky Rider doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Thanks!

I stand (semi) corrected! The web site doesn't indicate generic Shimano support. I'm not familiar with the Focus internals - does it have a wiring jack to support a third party auxiliary battery? The T.E.C. seems to be the solution, but is Focus specific.

Also, with the way the eTube system is a fully integrated system, I'm still a bit skeptical. I love the concept, but would love to know more about the specifics (does it show battery level on the display? can both batteries be connected at the same time? do wiring mods need to be made?)

It would be awesome if the new Shimano system offers an aux battery as a factory option, like the Levo SL does.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles