Sheffield Newbie

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi Everyone. I'm lookin to get my first eMTB and I have a budget of about 5K. I've been looking at the following bikes and I'd really appreciate any friendly advice if that's ok.

I'm looking at the following:

Speclaized Levo FSR Comp Carbon 2019 currently at about £4799 while stocks last
YT Decoy CF Pro £4999
Whyte E-150RS £5250 can currently get £650 off with a trade in
Trek Rail 9 £5500

I realise they are all different bikes with different qualities. My riding won't be extreme but I'd like to be to get into the Peaks easily and up above Ladybower etc. I also go to the Lakes a lot and I also want to explore Dalby Forest. I've never had a full suspension and after watching Rob's video re hardtail and full I think full sus will suit me better. My heart says the YT as it looks great and has a good spec for the money. The other three though I can source locally from JE James or Stanley Fearns in Matlock, so any issues will be easier to sort.

My head is saying the Levo though, but I obviously have no experience of the Brose motor (in fact nor of Bosch or Shiman but at least i've heard of those). Rob appears to rate the Levo, YT and the Whyte but which do you think is the killer bike of the three?

I guess all of them will be above my quality of riding and a lot of it maybe on trails with my wife who is getting a hardtail. However I reckon if I go down the hardtail route I will limit any ambitions I have.

As I say any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nick

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Hi fella - I'd advise sitting and riding the above bikes to see what suits you best, regarding fit, as these are all personal to you. You'll be spending quite some time in the seat, for sure. If they want to make the sale, any LBS worth their salt will allow you to demo, even if it's a short one around a car park. However try to find a climb, to gauge which motor suits your riding. With regards to 'motors' they can all have issues. It's just if you are fortunate enough not to have any. I'm 800 miles in, fault free, since September, so no issues to complain about here so far. I chose FS. I can lock out the rear, should I want that hardtail feel, although, I rarely use that function.

After service was a key element for me. Thankfully, I've not had to put this to the test as yet. That, I feel is where the true value lies in the purchase price...

Good luck, with your choice (y)

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Thanks for your reply and all good points. I'm sure both shops mentioned would do that and James stock all three. When I went in at the weekend they were pushing the Levo with a spare battery at £5299 but not sure I really need a spare. I have to say the finsh to the Levo looked very nice. What motor do you have?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I never used to rate after sales service when I had a clockwork bike because I could fix most things myself. Consequently, I was perfectly comfortable importing a bike from people like YT.

But for an emtb, all that went out of the window. So I bought from a UK based dealer. The big mistake I made was to buy an emtb from a dealer that was a 3.5hr round trip away from me. I could quite easily have bought the same bike from another dealer 30 mins away from me. But I didn't think it through. There was nothing wrong with the distant dealer except their location. In fact JEJames of Sheffield (the distant dealer) were actually very good indeed at after sales support and if you are close then I would recommend them.

I now take my bike to the closer dealer (Rutland Cycling) and pay £37 for them to pursue any warranty claim (one so far). I would rather pay a one off £37 than travel back and forth to Sheffield, maybe several times.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I bought my Levo comp carbon in November and love it, like 118, i've been fault free too.

I liked the look of the YT, but I think its slightly more gravity based, the Whyte looked good also, but little discount at the time and fiddly to get battery out (bike stays in shed, battery in the house).

What swung it for me was how quiet the Levo (Brose) motor is compared to the others and the warranty.

If you do go for the Levo, push for a bigger discount, I paid less than the £4799 your LBS is asking

Good luck and have deciding though, it's a difficult one!

Last edited:

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi Steve, I'm in Sheffield and work in Matlock once a week so both shops are very local to me and I have bought bikes from both stores over the years. I think perhaps you're right it, would make sense to buy local as the eMTb is a great unknown for me service and relaibility wise.

NU Levo, I think for a large frame (I'm 6'1) i won't do any better than £4799 and I reckon there will be few bikes avaiilable. A few medium out there at £4500. The Whyte is appealing but the battery issue also put's me off. The bike will be kept in a bike safe also with no power so the battery will be charged indoors. Also the gear cables at the bottom look quite exposed.

Thanks for your replys.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Hi Steve, I'm in Sheffield and work in Matlock once a week so both shops are very local to me and I have bought bikes from both stores over the years. I think perhaps you're right it, would make sense to buy local as the eMTb is a great unknown for me service and relaibility wise.

NU Levo, I think for a large frame (I'm 6'1) i won't do any better than £4799 and I reckon there will be few bikes avaiilable. A few medium out there at £4500. The Whyte is appealing but the battery issue also put's me off. The bike will be kept in a bike safe also with no power so the battery will be charged indoors. Also the gear cables at the bottom look quite exposed.

Thanks for your replys.

Hi nickd, I ride a large, i'm 5'11, and it's perfect for me (once set up right). I'm surprised about price, perhaps the large are running low on stock everywhere, but it's still a good price, perhaps they'll move on the battery if you decide to go for an extra one. Although think hard before you get one, they are not cheap, specially if your going to be riding with your wife most of the time.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Ha ha I've been thinking hard about it for over a year! It cost's more say than a good classic MX5 MK1. I've now got my head round that issue. I've been arsing about on BMX 24" and 26" cruisers and just recovering from a broken wrist and almost snapped off finger at the local indoor BMX park (I'm 50). I'm not saying this will be anymore dangerous for me though but I'm sure it won't be. I do ride with my wife from time to time but that's more on holiday. Like I'm sure you have, a few of my pals my have eMTBs and this is now just the natural progression and I know it will get me out there. I don't really need a spare battery do i?

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for your reply and all good points. I'm sure both shops mentioned would do that and James stock all three. When I went in at the weekend they were pushing the Levo with a spare battery at £5299 but not sure I really need a spare. I have to say the finsh to the Levo looked very nice. What motor do you have?

I'm on a Levo, so I'm on a Brose 2.1. I'm also on a 700w battery. The majority of the time I ride in eco, with a short blast of turbo, when the Peaks require me to do so. I don't suffer from battery anxiety like my ride buddies do. I'm also still restricted. I chose a Levo, as I preferred the 'cleaner' cockpit and the quiet belt driven motor. My local LBS, also keeps a motor in stock, so should I ever have an issue, hopefully, nobody else will be needing it, and I won't have to wait weeks to get back out riding..

Should you choose a Levo, you won't regret it. I got a reasonable discount on my initial purchase, as I believe they were making room for the 2020's coming in. However, as I've said previously, fit is important, as you'll be out for hours on it, and after sale service, ultimately for me, was the key factor in my choice. I also got a tubeless upgrade thrown in, not that that costs an awful lot :D. If you are looking to stretch/hone your riding skills down the Ladybower beast/potato alley/cavedale, I'd recommend a rear tyre insert too - something else to barter with, whilst negotiating your sale...

Keep us posted, & hopefully see you out on the trials (with or without the wife..) soon..

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi 118

Did yours come with a 700w battery? The Whyte has a 625W as standard. I do like the Whyte and Fearns would give me at least 10% discount on the Whyte. My parents were buying me and my brothers bikes from them in the 70's and my last two Treks came from them. I'd feel a bit guilty not getting a Whyte from them over the Levo but I think the Levo is the better bike for me. I've just informed myself of the rear tyre insert, good idea.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Hi 118

Did yours come with a 700w battery? The Whyte has a 625W as standard. I do like the Whyte and Fearns would give me at least 10% discount on the Whyte. My parents were buying me and my brothers bikes from them in the 70's and my last two Treks came from them. I'd feel a bit guilty not getting a Whyte from them over the Levo but I think the Levo is the better bike for me. I've just informed myself of the rear tyre insert, good idea.

Yes it did. The majority of 2020's come with 625w. Have you considered asking for a 700w upgrade on the new Levo? Another barter point!

Is there any loyalty today? It seems to be deminishing, from my experiences..
Although, if you already have a fantastic relationship with them, they may offer you a better deal, if you are a long standing customer... However if it has only been the initial purchase, then you've not returned, then there is no true value to that loyalty...

Besides, you've just admitted, that the Levo is better for you! Your loyalty has already waned, me thinks..:unsure:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
#justsaying ..

20200107_145752.jpg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Ha ha I've been thinking hard about it for over a year! It cost's more say than a good classic MX5 MK1. I've now got my head round that issue. I've been arsing about on BMX 24" and 26" cruisers and just recovering from a broken wrist and almost snapped off finger at the local indoor BMX park (I'm 50). I'm not saying this will be anymore dangerous for me though but I'm sure it won't be. I do ride with my wife from time to time but that's more on holiday. Like I'm sure you have, a few of my pals my have eMTBs and this is now just the natural progression and I know it will get me out there. I don't really need a spare battery do i?

I didn't mean to offend you nickd, apologies if I did. I almost bought a second battery a few weeks ago as they were on offer, my man maths kicked in to justify it, but then I realised I don't actually need one. I may get one in the future, once I actually do long rides where I start to run out of juice. The 700w batteries might be a reasonable price by then also.

SHMBO would not dream of getting on any type of bike, so I'm on my own at the moment on local trails. Once I've sorted out transporting the ebike I want to get to bike parks like Sherwood Pines.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
............... Once I've sorted out transporting the ebike I want to get to bike parks like Sherwood Pines.
Hi, I ride at Sherwood Pines regularly and I know the trails and the off-piste stuff very well. Once you have got yourself sorted out, if you fancy something a bit different at Pines. just message me.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Hi, I ride at Sherwood Pines regularly and I know the trails and the off-piste stuff very well. Once you have got yourself sorted out, if you fancy something a bit different at Pines. just message me.

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate your offer, I'll message you once I'm sorted.

Hopefully when the weather is better and I'm fitter! You'll have to bear with me though, I wouldn't want to hold you back as I 'potter' along behind you :)

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi NuLevo, absolutely no offence taken. Ok so Je James will price match Freeborn at £4800 tubeless etc. I think I will go in tomorrow and put my deposit down. I spoke with Wheelbase, Freeborn and at length with Jamie at James, it seems that all would recommend the Levo over the Whyte. Apprehensive but excited. Also I will get to test ride the bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
............You'll have to bear with me though, I wouldn't want to hold you back as I 'potter' along behind you :)

I am a gentleman, you won't realise that anyone is holding anyone back. Besides, I'm an old git and mostly harmless.
By the way, ignore 118, he's having a laugh. (Although on that last outing there were several that endured involuntary dismounts. Nobody made them tackle those features, they were all voluntary and all had a much easier option).

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Ok I have put a deposit down on the bike at James. I paid £4,700 in the end so I think I did ok. Obviously I'm very pleased and I could collect my bike at the weekend but I'm going to collect a week on Saturday and enjoy the the thought of ownership! Thanks for your thoughts and see you out there!

Reactions: 118

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok I have put a deposit down on the bike at James. I paid £4,700 in the end so I think I did ok. Obviously I'm very pleased and I could collect my bike at the weekend but I'm going to collect a week on Saturday and enjoy the the thought of ownership! Thanks for your thoughts and see you out there!

@nickd164 I will make the same offer to you as I made to @NULevo see post #17 above.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
I think you may get a ride around the car park.... Sounds mad but I just sat on mine and that was it. What size are you after?

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
It is the size I am struggling with tbh hence wanting to test some. I come from a dirt jump and downhill back ground so I know what I like. I don't want anything massively long but more than anything I like losts of stand over and a low seat height. I was thinking I would probably prefer a medium.

Trek over in stocksbridge let you loan the bike for a day @ £75 and will refund it if you buy one, but on paper I prefer the Whyte.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Ok Mike, I'll ask when I collect mine tonight. I did consider the Whyte E150 RS, I have a Whyte road bike and it's great. However it's the first year that it's out so may have a few issues and the battery isn't easily removed. As I don't have a garage it would mean possibly charging indoors.
I reckon the Turbo Levo Comp looks great as well and on line a few mediums were out there for 4.5K. That said I'm really no expert and just excited to be getting an eMTB.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles