Sheared off crank arm bolt?

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
I saw this post and thought I needed to register! If your confident at using tools I would try to drill the bolt and use an extractor. If not, if you have a machine shop or engineering shop near you they would be able to sort you out. It might save the crank arm and other possible damage.

Hello I'm Tommy. ?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
is this isis fit? i think the outer nut the bit the bolt pushes against to make the extraction also will unscrew that should give you clear space to put a puller on the crank arm and just pull it off

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
I saw this post and thought I needed to register! If your confident at using tools I would try to drill the bolt and use an extractor. If not, if you have a machine shop or engineering shop near you they would be able to sort you out. It might save the crank arm and other possible damage.

Hello I'm Tommy. ?
Thanks guys. Yea I guess I could drill it out but it would ruin the crank. I thought of a puller but the pullers push bolt would 'push' pretty hard on the Brose motor spline. I reached out to Praxis and they tried to up-sell me the new $$$ Carbon cranks. lol

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
is this isis fit? i think the outer nut the bit the bolt pushes against to make the extraction also will unscrew that should give you clear space to put a puller on the crank arm and just pull it off
I wonder if this would work? I guess if the threads worked it could?

Last edited by a moderator:

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
Guys. Would this work to remove crank? Any ideas on thread pitch?
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 1.48.39 PM.png

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Have you removed the treaded on top cap from the self extractor? Photos would be very helpful. I doubt the bolt broke at the head. It's likely on the threaded below the shoulder. If so removing the top cap of the bolt will get the broken bits out and a regular crank puller like the one pictured should work to get the cranks off. The bolt is another story. DO NOT use a screw extractor as a first line defense. Heat and left hand drill bit first. Extractors break too easy if not used carefully then you are super screwed.

This is what the bolt looks like unbroken. It's 2 pieces. If it's broken you should be able to get some pieces out and show us what you are working with.
iu

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
Have you removed the treaded on top cap from the self extractor? Photos would be very helpful. I doubt the bolt broke at the head. It's likely on the threaded below the shoulder. If so removing the top cap of the bolt will get the broken bits out and a regular crank puller like the one pictured should work to get the cranks off. The bolt is another story. DO NOT use a screw extractor as a first line defense. Heat and left hand drill bit first. Extractors break too easy if not used carefully then you are super screwed.

This is what the bolt looks like unbroken. It's 2 pieces. If it's broken you should be able to get some pieces out and show us what you are working with.
iu
Nice Brian - thank you. I'll update as this progresses.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles