Share Your Decoy Range Anecdotes

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
I tested a Large Decoy CF Pro at the YT Mill today. I rode 17.26 miles with 2677’ of climbing.

Roughly equal distance in Trail and Boost.75-91f ambient.

Two bars remaining.

BTW, the Decoy was great. The L is definitely more compact than my L ‘19 Levo. But it was playful and agile. The rear suspension never maxed travel in situations that would have bottomed out my Levo’s DPX2.

I have a Pro Race arriving soon. I’m sticking with it.

IMG_B676BE674352-1.jpg

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Nice, but swapping a 19 Levo with a Decoy, you have too much money ?

I’m already trying to justify my next eBike but don’t think I can until we get a new Shimano motor. My current steed has the E8000, good geo and great components.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
First ride today. 1400ft vert and 7ish km. All in eco with a friend on a regular bike. Decoy only used one bar. Ill have to do an all boost and all trail mode day soon . Sooo fun

IATR

May 23, 2019
UK
49 miles, 3,800 ft of climbing all mostly in the highest configuration of Eco, and the battery ran out one mile before the end of the ride.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi, in France Alpes at the moment. Have some results about the range. First; eco=mid, trail=low, boost=high. I climb (fire) roads always in eco. Rides were mostly on fire roads uphill. Generally I have done 800m with 50-60% of battery left with about 23 - 35 km. I weigh 100kg.

Didn't dare to venture out too far, risking an empty battery in the mountains. But coming days will try to double the height meters now I have some feeling for the battery.

Very very happy with the range.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi, today we did another ride. Only change was eco set on high, so I could ride longer in eco. Was a very demanding GR trail. Mostly road in trail and this was about 60% of single track and rest was steep (+12%) fire roads. Did about 1200m and had 46% battery left...?.

Next time I will try to make a ride that empties the battery...no not riding in boost?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Wow thats a lot of vert to have 46% battery remaining. I hope this batteries life span is similar to its charge holding ability. As in, longer than most

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I try to ride in eco up as much as possible. Since the torque is capped at 30 in eco it also limits your speed going up. If you do not mind going somewhat slower it saves a lot of battery. Most rides we have done in the alps were about 800m and i have never had my battery drop below 55%. Using boost only for very short steep sections.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
I've done this one a couple of times before, but in reverse and taking the lift up! Much harder in reverse, 1450m steep climbing from my house into the next valley and then climbing up and into the ski resort of Serre Chevalier, then dropping down through the bike park which was cool before fire trails home, one bar left.......
Rode as much in eco as poss to preserve battery life, had to use trail several times because of the incline!
My settings: eco 100%, trail 200%, boost 300%

41.1 km Mountain Bike Ride on August 27, 2019 by Ken R. on Strava

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Local trail ride yesterday, lots of undulating terrain, 20 miles mostly in boost/trail, about 1500 ft accent total, came home with one bar left. Was my second ride on Decoy, first ride about 18 miles on trail/boost 2000 ft total accent but much higher grades on climbs, battery died about .25 miles from truck. I have not given much thought to eco mode since that kind of takes the fun out unless it's fire road or pavement transitions.

Based on what I've seen and how I feel after burning up most of the battery, a 700W/hr battery will be on my must have list, additionally would like to see a way to keep the second battery on standby for days when one isn't enough, anyone heard of a in-car charger solution?

I believe the standard charger is about 300W, 120V @ 2.5 amps, so you'd need a pretty hefty inverter in the car to use AC charger in car. Haha maybe I should start another thread...

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Yesterday I did 900meters up and had 43% left of the battery with 25 km. Used mostly trail (low) and a couple of times boost since that single track trail had really insane steep uphill sections.

Since these are my first experiences with an e-bike, I try no to run out of battery....Well not in the Alps anyway. Cannot imagine have to climb up and over a mountain if the battery is dead :)

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thats always on my mind now too. Did a few laps on the hill last week and the battery died 80 ft from my truck. Truck was in the upper parking lot and felt like i was dragging an anchor. On tge other side of a mt pass would be a good work out.
I dont know if my battery is getting better or what. Probably on about 10 rides now. Climbed for a couple laps at the park today. One 1700ft climb in trail and one in boost. On the 5620ft downs i had it in trail both times. Still one bar laft. Not sure how much of that bar left but that was perfect timing before work

IATR

May 23, 2019
UK
49 miles, 3,800 ft of climbing all mostly in the highest configuration of Eco, and the battery ran out one mile before the end of the ride.

I did the same (or very nearly the same) ride on Friday. Middle setting of Eco this time with about one or two miles of Trail combined where the trail got a bit nadgery. The battery had only just dropped in to one bar at the end of the ride, showing another 16 miles of range despite an extra 800ft of climbing...

C1EC0F5D-CA69-4B37-8E09-3486E8E9C92D.jpeg

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Nice! Then you have put in more - body - energy than before. I did also notice that if you maintain a constant cadence the battery is using less. Might just have to do with not putting out the peak 500watt when biking constant. Not sure when it puts out the 500watts...

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
15.48 Miles
5166 or 2221 Foot gain (depends on if I use Garmin Baro or map survey data...that's a BIG difference and something I need to look in to)
In Boost maybe a mile, in Eco for @3 miles and Trail the rest
Had 33% left using Steps Unlocker to check
All boost settings are on high...High Eco, High Trail, High Boost

Link to ride...

Last edited:

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
Thats always on my mind now too. Did a few laps on the hill last week and the battery died 80 ft from my truck. Truck was in the upper parking lot and felt like i was dragging an anchor. On tge other side of a mt pass would be a good work out.
I dont know if my battery is getting better or what. Probably on about 10 rides now. Climbed for a couple laps at the park today. One 1700ft climb in trail and one in boost. On the 5620ft downs i had it in trail both times. Still one bar laft. Not sure how much of that bar left but that was perfect timing before work

Are you Di2, and if so, could you still shift when the battery died. I've been told it save some in reserve for a very little bit of shifts. I just want to get it in a small enough gear for the anchor drag.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Are you Di2, and if so, could you still shift when the battery died. I've been told it save some in reserve for a very little bit of shifts. I just want to get it in a small enough gear for the anchor drag.
No ive just got the base model

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
2 new rides over the weekend. 1st ride was with 8 guys on acoustic bikes so was trying to stay at their pace. Discovered that eco was a good choice to hold pace on climbs with them. 24 miles, 2600 ft ascent, 3 hrs and finished with 2 bars, probably could have gone another 10 miles at this pace.

Second ride was a solo ride, 3 hrs, 25 miles, 3600 ft ascent finished with 1 bar and had been on last bar for at least 30 minutes. On this ride I only used trail/boost for super steep climbs and a few sections I wanted to blast through.

What I've noticed is unless you really need or want boost or trail, eco is probably my default to stretch the battery. On my first rides I was boosting everywhere (super fun) but if good descents are available on the trail I'm riding, I'll keep it in eco most of the time to stretch out the battery.

The Decoy bombs downhill, feels very DH bike between weight/tires/suspension.

FH_laborday.png

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I got 17 miles and 3000ft climbing on a full charge, all on trail mode with a couple of brief boosts. My power went to off a 1/4 mile from the truck while in boost on a steep road climb, I was able to restart it in eco and pedal it back to the truck, where it went off again about 50ft away. Timed that well!
Still one bar showing and can still shift the Di2 but for pedal assist, it’s tapped out.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I got 17 miles and 3000ft climbing on a full charge, all on trail mode with a couple of brief boosts. My power went to off a 1/4 mile from the truck while in boost on a steep road climb, I was able to restart it in eco and pedal it back to the truck, where it went off again about 50ft away. Timed that well!
Still one bar showing and can still shift the Di2 but for pedal assist, it’s tapped out.

That ain't great range...I've been leery of the stories I hear of guys easily getting 30 miles all in trail and boost. I'm definitely getting the bigger battery when becomes available.

jbetker

Aug 30, 2019
Boulder, CO
I was getting pretty poor range compared to my Levo at first, but I realized that the stock settings for Trail mode are far more aggressive than a Levo.

If you're really looking to extend your range, I'd recommend dialing back your Trail mode a bit. I've found that on any decent hill climb where you push yourself, it will be putting out the same power as Boost mode the entire time.

I used the steps unlocker app to get finer grained adjustment settings for this, and dialed the assist back a lot, and the max torque back a bit. It offers a much better mode for in between eco and boost now. I do a daily commute on the bike of ~30 miles and the battery is coming back 10-15% higher for a relatively small decrease in how aggressive Trail is set up.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I was getting pretty poor range compared to my Levo at first, but I realized that the stock settings for Trail mode are far more aggressive than a Levo.

If you're really looking to extend your range, I'd recommend dialing back your Trail mode a bit. I've found that on any decent hill climb where you push yourself, it will be putting out the same power as Boost mode the entire time.

I used the steps unlocker app to get finer grained adjustment settings for this, and dialed the assist back a lot, and the max torque back a bit. It offers a much better mode for in between eco and boost now. I do a daily commute on the bike of ~30 miles and the battery is coming back 10-15% higher for a relatively small decrease in how aggressive Trail is set up.

What did you set the assist and torque values to? I've been messing with those but still looking for the sweet spot. If you decrease torque does it save the same juice as just decreasing assist percentage? I am trying to get my Garmin to synch up so I can get more data and maximize my battery. I am certainly gonna get the larger battery if/when it becomes available.

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Relive 'Thunder Mountain and Grandview Out & Back 26mis &'

26 miles

40% boost
30% Trail
30% Eco
3428’ climbing

Zero bars left.
That's good stuff right there. I sure hope they open all the Moab stuff with the new ruling. This ebike has made me feel like a kid again, back when I was racing and fast and fit.

Been poaching Moab. Got Porcupine, LPS, and UPS. Whole Enchilada and Mag 7 next on the list.

IMG_3497.JPG

Profiles from Thunder Mountain ride posted earlier. That’s near Bryce Canyon, UT, USA.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Latest ride over the weekend, 5% boost, 25% Trail, 70% Eco, back to truck with ~15% battery left, awesome day
Western_slope.png

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada

That ain't great range...I've been leery of the stories I hear of guys easily getting 30 miles all in trail and boost. I'm definitely getting the bigger battery when becomes available.

At this point with the 540wh Battery I won’t attempt anything over 30/3000 (of challenging single track) with this bike. By comparison, I’ve taken my Levo over 40/4000 and had over 20% left with 700wh.

I will say, I like my Levo is best in Trail Power Mode...but, the Shimano motor is so damn fun in boost, I prefer to ride it in that mode. If you can ride fast, the Decoy+Shimano is the killer combo. My S-Works Levo is a super fun trail bike. The Decoy is sweet from Trail on up through Enduro intentions and can handle some real steep and janky DH, too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles