Setting up my new stereo hybrid 160 SL 500

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
I've just collected my new bike and I'm having a play around getting it all set up to my liking!

I've got the fox 36 fork and the fox evol dpx2 shock.

Im using a topeak pocket shock pump and been trying to add air to the shock to set the sag, just wondering if I'm doing it right - needing to use a fair amount of force to add any air to the shock which surprised me. Its currently at around 200psi and the sag is around 40% so im assuming i dont need to increase the pressure too much more, but i dont want to knacker my suspension before I've even had a chance to ride it properly!

Is this normal to need to really force it?

The sag on the fork seems spot on so i can leave messing with that for another day..

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I'm on 300psi on my Dpx2 to get to 30% sag 105kg rider with all my gear ( and no idea :p )
My pocket hand pump ( can't remember the make but I can look tonight ) had no trouble getting the psi up there.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Lots of technology found in shocks / suspension , years of development, and still this pumping sh**t* :poop: system !

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
I've just collected my new bike and I'm having a play around getting it all set up to my liking!

Im using a topeak pocket shock pump and been trying to add air to the shock to set the sag, just wondering if I'm doing it right - needing to use a fair amount of force to add any air to the shock which surprised me. Its currently at around 200psi and the sag is around 40% so im assuming i dont need to increase the pressure too much more, but i dont want to knacker my suspension before I've even had a chance to ride it properly!

The sag on the fork seems spot on so i can leave messing with that for another day..
Yes it's normal mate. Make sure you compress the shock 10-15 times slowly every 50 psi you pump it up otherwise the air chambers won't equalise.

Cris

Dec 1, 2018
Beds

Get a different pump, I use a Giant pump and it’s pretty easy to get my shock up to the 380psi setting I need (yes I’m a super unit ?) the old pump I had just couldn’t do it.

sarnie63

Apr 15, 2019
East Yorkshire
Get a different pump, I use a Giant pump and it’s pretty easy to get my shock up to the 380psi setting I need (yes I’m a super unit ?) the old pump I had just couldn’t do it.
What shock are you running?
The fox I have had a max 350psi so you might want to look into that....

Cris

Dec 1, 2018
Beds
What shock are you running?
The fox I have had a max 350psi so you might want to look into that....

It’s fine, checked the shock ID code on the Fox website, max pressure is 400psi also downloaded the volume spacer chart to ensure I don’t exceed limits

G08

Apr 11, 2019
West Wales
It’s fine, checked the shock ID code on the Fox website, max pressure is 400psi also downloaded the volume spacer chart to ensure I don’t exceed limits
Quick question how do you rate the bike seen 1 in my lbs looks nice

sarnie63

Apr 15, 2019
East Yorkshire
Quick question how do you rate the bike seen 1 in my lbs looks nice
I’ve had mine a few weeks now & absolutely love it! I can honestly say it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden & im struggling to find anything I would change. The riding position is spot on & it just takes everything you can throw at it. The bike feels so stable & balanced it really boosts confidence on tech downhill sections!

G08

Apr 11, 2019
West Wales
I’ve had mine a few weeks now & absolutely love it! I can honestly say it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden & im struggling to find anything I would change. The riding position is spot on & it just takes everything you can throw at it. The bike feels so stable & balanced it really boosts confidence on tech downhill sections!

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
Next job on the list is getting it set up tubeless. The tyres seem to have massively high pressure at the moment and i want to drop it right down and gain some grip. I'm keeping the tyres it came with (magic mary up front and nobby nic on rear).

From reviews seems like stans sealant is the way to go, and the tyres are tubeless ready (right?) so i just need to grab some sealant and tubeless valves and get to it?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Next job on the list is getting it set up tubeless. The tyres seem to have massively high pressure at the moment and i want to drop it right down and gain some grip. I'm keeping the tyres it came with (magic mary up front and nobby nic on rear).

From reviews seems like stans sealant is the way to go, and the tyres are tubeless ready (right?) so i just need to grab some sealant and tubeless valves and get to it?
It sais Tubeless Ready, but my rim tape was definitely not airtight. Might be different with your wheels though. I have the Cube 160 Race with different rims.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Wen I bought mine I went for tubless and they changed the rim tape, so I supose stock rim tape is only for tube use.

Reuben

Apr 7, 2019
TN40 1RL
Well that was a nightmare. Finally got round to setting it up tubeless, all going well until i tried to get the tyre back on the wheel

Snapped a tyre lever in the process, just cant seem to get that last 6 inch section of tyre back on. ???? was planning my first big ride on monday and now my bikes in bits.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles