Serious issues with Rise LTD CARBON crank arms

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So do we know what happened? Like if the cranks are tightened before riding are they okay or does it all warrant the aluminium replacement to make sure and literally don’t buy without?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just uploaded a copy of the E*Thirteen Carbon Crank manual to OneDrive here: DG-MCS-008-01_A1 Ebike crankset manual.pdf

I went to the E*Thirteen website to search for the manual, but it looks like it has been replaced by the alloy version somehow. Luckily I found what I think is the original version in my old Downloads folder.

I was washing my bike earlier, and it looks like the pinch bolts are starting to go rusty, so thinking of replacing them. The manual seems to indicate they are M6 bolts.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
4 weeks ago me and my ridding friend received our brand new Orbea Rise M-LTD. What an excitement! A week later while ridding on a steep trail my left crank arm fell off, I lost the cap and luckily did not harm my self. Next morning I went to the shop where I bought the bike from and they in turn talked to Orbea in Spain to understand better the issue. Orbea recommendation were to use a 14 Nm torque and thread locker/ lock tite. Unfortunately they have not mentioned that other buyers had the same issue!!! Well enough two days later my friend had exactly the same issue; the left crank arm fell and the cap was-lost.

We got really furious and wrote a detailed extremely strong email to Recycles the official importer of Orbea into Israel demanding an official response to the matter. It is no fun, frighting and dangerous experience.

Not few hours had passed and I received a phone call from the manager of Recycles Israel, apologising for the inconvenience and reassuring me that he personally going to bring up the issue with Orbea in Spain. Well enough the following day I received another phone call from the manager saying that he has spoken with Orbea, who apparently were well aware of similar issues around the wold, and offered me and my friend to replace the e-thirteen carbon crank arm with Shimano XTR crank arms, at no cost to us. He also suggested that he will find a way to compensate us for the trouble we went through. Within a day he supplied the new Shimano XTR crank arms and replaced it for us! Wow what a service….

There is no doubt what-so-ever that the e-13 crank arms are not the right ones for these kind of e-bikes. They have only one single bolt to attach the arm to the Shimano EP 8 drive, without thread lock and not using the special hole the Shimano has in the drive of the motor to allow a small hook to be inserted in to give an extra strength to the arm!

Shimano’s crank arms all have 2 bolts, thread locks and a small hook to be inserted into the motor drive spindle.

I believe and demand that Orbea should order a recall for all its’ Rise M-LTD and replace these faulty, wrong, unsafe, dangerous e-13 crank arms! It was only a miracle that I was not heart when losing the crank arm while ridding a technical trail.

It is nice that Orbea are trying to produce a light e-bike, but at what cost? The cost of the safety of their ridders?

I read that there were some issues with the chainring of e-13 as well!

I want a reassurance, in writing, from Orbea Spain that their ridder’s safety is in their top priority and that they are going to recall and change the crank arms to all its Rise LTD ridders, as well as a thorough investigation of the quality of the chainring.

Once again I want to thank Recycles, the importer of Orbea into Israel, and their manager, as well the owner of the shop in Netanya were I bought the bike and got the service from, for a quick and professional handling of the matter. A pleasure to have such a service from a supplier!

View attachment 60288

View attachment 60290

View attachment 60291

View attachment 60292

4 weeks ago me and my ridding friend received our brand new Orbea Rise M-LTD. What an excitement! A week later while ridding on a steep trail my left crank arm fell off, I lost the cap and luckily did not harm my self. Next morning I went to the shop where I bought the bike from and they in turn talked to Orbea in Spain to understand better the issue. Orbea recommendation were to use a 14 Nm torque and thread locker/ lock tite. Unfortunately they have not mentioned that other buyers had the same issue!!! Well enough two days later my friend had exactly the same issue; the left crank arm fell and the cap was-lost.

We got really furious and wrote a detailed extremely strong email to Recycles the official importer of Orbea into Israel demanding an official response to the matter. It is no fun, frighting and dangerous experience.

Not few hours had passed and I received a phone call from the manager of Recycles Israel, apologising for the inconvenience and reassuring me that he personally going to bring up the issue with Orbea in Spain. Well enough the following day I received another phone call from the manager saying that he has spoken with Orbea, who apparently were well aware of similar issues around the wold, and offered me and my friend to replace the e-thirteen carbon crank arm with Shimano XTR crank arms, at no cost to us. He also suggested that he will find a way to compensate us for the trouble we went through. Within a day he supplied the new Shimano XTR crank arms and replaced it for us! Wow what a service….

There is no doubt what-so-ever that the e-13 crank arms are not the right ones for these kind of e-bikes. They have only one single bolt to attach the arm to the Shimano EP 8 drive, without thread lock and not using the special hole the Shimano has in the drive of the motor to allow a small hook to be inserted in to give an extra strength to the arm!

Shimano’s crank arms all have 2 bolts, thread locks and a small hook to be inserted into the motor drive spindle.

I believe and demand that Orbea should order a recall for all its’ Rise M-LTD and replace these faulty, wrong, unsafe, dangerous e-13 crank arms! It was only a miracle that I was not heart when losing the crank arm while ridding a technical trail.

It is nice that Orbea are trying to produce a light e-bike, but at what cost? The cost of the safety of their ridders?

I read that there were some issues with the chainring of e-13 as well!

I want a reassurance, in writing, from Orbea Spain that their ridder’s safety is in their top priority and that they are going to recall and change the crank arms to all its Rise LTD ridders, as well as a thorough investigation of the quality of the chainring.

Once again I want to thank Recycles, the importer of Orbea into Israel, and their manager, as well the owner of the shop in Netanya were I bought the bike and got the service from, for a quick and professional handling of the matter. A pleasure to have such a service from a supplier!

View attachment 60288

View attachment 60290

View attachment 60291

View attachment 60292

I can confirm that my alloy e13 falls off as well (not limited to the carbon), not getting a helpful response from either the retailer or Orbea at the moment. I can only think they are a cheaper option than the XTR but once I can source them I will replace them with Shimano

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
I've seen more than a few people on these crank threads mention XTR crank arms as a replacement option, but I can't find any information that they actually exist. The closest I'm seeing on the Shimano website are the FC-M8150 hollowtech EP-8 compatible crank arms, which are XT.

Anyway, I must be one of the lucky ones. My e*13 cranks have been fine. They visibly had blue loctite on the pinch bolts when I received the bike, and I've occasionally put a wrench on them (and the preload caps) to make sure nothing is coming loose. Hundreds of miles so far and nothing has moved.

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
I can confirm that my alloy e13 falls off as well (not limited to the carbon), not getting a helpful response from either the retailer or Orbea at the moment. I can only think they are a cheaper option than the XTR but once I can source them I will replace them with Shimano

Hey NorthernBloke - If you are having trouble getting a resolution from Orbea and your retailer, please fill out a warranty request with us here: Warranty Request Submission Form

Please note in your request that you are having issues acquiring the parts thru Orbea and that you were sent to that link per the instructions of e*thirteen in the emtb forums. We will get you sorted.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Hey NorthernBloke - If you are having trouble getting a resolution from Orbea and your retailer, please fill out a warranty request with us here: Warranty Request Submission Form

Please note in your request that you are having issues acquiring the parts thru Orbea and that you were sent to that link per the instructions of e*thirteen in the emtb forums. We will get you sorted.

Thanks, I am still in talks with my retailer, the crankset was supposed to be the carbon ones, but alloys were fitted due to stock shortages. I have a letter from Orbea saying that they will recall the bike to a service centre once the parts are available.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

What are you replacing the carbon crank arms with? Have you designed one with two pinch bolts yet?

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
What are you replacing the carbon crank arms with? Have you designed one with two pinch bolts yet?
Currently we are seeing a shortage of carbon cranks. Customers with issues with carbon cranks are being given a set of alloy cranks to use until the carbon are available. Once the carbon are available, customers are shipped the carbon cranks and can keep the alloy cranks. The carbon cranks use a single large bolt to achieve similar clamping force as created by the dual pinch bolts on the alloy versions.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
There must be no end in sight for the carbon crank shortage, as Orbea seem to have changed their plans. I'm one of the customers that received a new M-Team/M-LTD with alloy cranks and an accompanying letter saying they would be replaced with carbon cranks when available. I just got an email from Orbea yesterday saying they are now providing Shimano FC-EM900 cranks as replacements instead. I'm in the US, so I don't know if they are doing something else in other markets, but what I received was a formal email direct from Orbea S. COOP, not the US distributor. Seems they have given up on getting any carbon e*thirteen cranks.

Andyb13

Nov 3, 2020
Grimsby
There must be no end in sight for the carbon crank shortage, as Orbea seem to have changed their plans. I'm one of the customers that received a new M-Team/M-LTD with alloy cranks and an accompanying letter saying they would be replaced with carbon cranks when available. I just got an email from Orbea yesterday saying they are now providing Shimano FC-EM900 cranks as replacements instead. I'm in the US, so I don't know if they are doing something else in other markets, but what I received was a formal email direct from Orbea S. COOP, not the US distributor. Seems they have given up on getting any carbon e*thirteen cranks.
I live in the UK and have received the same offer with a 100 pound voucher to spend on there website, I would prefer the carbon cranks which I have had no issues with on my Trek Rail.

FreeFly787

Jan 6, 2022
Puerto Rico
After reading this thread I ordered and switched my e13 alloys with Shimano M8150.
I never had any issues with the e13 falling out but i wanted to be on the safe side and protect my investment.

Yesterday while switching them i cleaned up the crank axle to check for hairlines, and what do you know, it certainly have one on the right side. (see attached photos).

My bike is around 13 month old and have around 11 months more of warranty.
What should i do now?
Is Orbea taking care of this?

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.27.02 PM.png

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9768.jpg

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
After reading this thread I ordered and switched my e13 alloys with Shimano M8150.
I never had any issues with the e13 falling out but i wanted to be on the safe side and protect my investment.

Yesterday while switching them i cleaned up the crank axle to check for hairlines, and what do you know, it certainly have one on the right side. (see attached photos).

My bike is around 13 month old and have around 11 months more of warranty.
What should i do now?
Is Orbea taking care of this?

I would definitely file a warranty claim with your dealer ASAP.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles