Sending a battery out for renewal

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I just received a brand new second Shimano e 8010 battery for my commencal meta. The original which is less than two years old and probably therefore still under warranty is beginning to show some of the typical signs of lithion ion battery problems. Performance from full to two bars is identical to when brand new but at two bars it quickly conks out which from my reading suggests one of the five stacks of ten 3.6 v Batts has one or more cell not producing the correct volts which triggers the entire ten pack to shut down. This is the natural order of things...I get that.
So there are two YouTube's describing businesses that test and replace the singles that are failing and the one is city of industry in socal sounds like they are quality as is the one in Nevada.
My question is (!forget the send it back to Shimano stuff for a moment because if not that pricey sounds like another take advantage of the good nature of my lbs) : should I do it now even though it's still good for a 17 mile 2-3k elevation ride, which is often all I'm doing , or should I wait until it deteriorates even more and just have these guys put in all new cells for around $300?
I've never seen this particular issue discussed. But I'm not on forums 24/7. It's gonna happen to all u folks btw so anybody think or act on this issue ?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I just received a brand new second Shimano e 8010 battery for my commencal meta. The original which is less than two years old and probably therefore still under warranty is beginning to show some of the typical signs of lithion ion battery problems. Performance from full to two bars is identical to when brand new but at two bars it quickly conks out which from my reading suggests one of the five stacks of ten 3.6 v Batts has one or more cell not producing the correct volts which triggers the entire ten pack to shut down. This is the natural order of things...I get that.
So there are two YouTube's describing businesses that test and replace the singles that are failing and the one is city of industry in socal sounds like they are quality as is the one in Nevada.
My question is (!forget the send it back to Shimano stuff for a moment because if not that pricey sounds like another take advantage of the good nature of my lbs) : should I do it now even though it's still good for a 17 mile 2-3k elevation ride, which is often all I'm doing , or should I wait until it deteriorates even more and just have these guys put in all new cells for around $300?
I've never seen this particular issue discussed. But I'm not on forums 24/7. It's gonna happen to all u folks btw so anybody think or act on this issue ?
I'm the only one with a weakening battery???

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No one of my batteries is definitely not holding as much charge as it used too, but TBH not to an extent where I have thought about doing something about it

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA

Can you list the two companies?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
These are the facilities. I'm thinking the one in so cal eventually when my batt deteriorates a bit more.

Screenshot_20191208-073815.png

Screenshot_20191208-073135.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles