Seat Post insertion, can you over insert.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Bike is Levo Sl medium Expert carbon 2021,

Seat post is 170 mm x fusion manic, measures 516 mm overall including actuator.

Seat post insertion measure 245 mm on the frame, with the 170 mm x Fusion manic seat post, to get my correct saddle height leaves exactly 243 mm of seat post inserted into the frame, while this doesn't actually bottom out onto the carbon but you can feel the pressure on the cable attached to the actuator as you push down on the post (before tightening the seat post clamp)

So my concern is that with the added insertion over the original seat post insertion (150 mm x fusion manic) will this cause added stress to the carbon frame.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I see no reason why it should. The amount of seat post above the end of the seat tube when it is at full extension is what will place torsional stress on the seat tube............that is alleviated by the length of seat post inserted into the seat tube and you have as much as it will take, so not a lot more you can do.
Curious why you need a 170mm dropper on a medium frame.........sounds like the saddle will be a lot higher than the bars when on full extension.......like a road bike!!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If it is possible, pull the cable through the frame so that the slack in the cable moves to the handlebar area and out of the seat tube.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
I see no reason why it should. The amount of seat post above the end of the seat tube when it is at full extension is what will place torsional stress on the seat tube............that is alleviated by the length of seat post inserted into the seat tube and you have as much as it will take, so not a lot more you can do.
Curious why you need a 170mm dropper on a medium frame.........sounds like the saddle will be a lot higher than the bars when on full extension.......like a road bike!!
Cheers for your reply, with the original 150 mm post I had 57 mm from underside of the seat post dropper collar to the seat post clamp, so when dropped the seat was only just out of the way so the extra 20 mm drop works a bit better for me.

The bars to saddle height is not far off neutral when fully extended, saddle is around 10 to 15 mm higher than the bars and as the bike is more Xc / trail orientated thats fine.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
If it is possible, pull the cable through the frame so that the slack in the cable moves to the handlebar area and out of the seat tube.
I had a better look down the seat tube today and with the 170 mm post the cable coming from the actuator bottoms out on the tube that is preinstalled for the cable routing so it is pulled through as far as it will go, also i found that there are two cables coming from the motor, the actuator just goes to one side of these.

thanks for your reply (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles