Sciatica ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After a quick search of the forum, this seems to be something which a lot of people suffer from at one point or another so I thought I'd start a thread so there's a central source of information and hopefully some ideas on what might help either avoid it, reduce the pain temporarily or help cure it for some.

Last week, a few hours after helping a friend cut up some trees and split his pile of unsplitable bits I headed off for a dog walk and suddenly noticed that @BAMBAMODA had snuck up behind me and stuck a huge great knife in my right buttock.

I hobbled on for a few km's wishing it wasn't wet and thinking maybe a road walk would have been a better idea than up and down deer tracks.

I hoped sleep would fix it, but it didn't. The next day was somehow worse and I started to wonder if it wasn't actually nerve related rather than a muscular problem. The next day I had to do some work/get some firewood. So cut up and loaded a van load of old chestnut beams. My mate was most entertained and said I looked like forest gump after he'd been shot in the bum an suggested sciatica. Saw the farmer later who also thought sciatica and suggested beer and then rest. He helped with the first part, but rest after didn't help.

Internet time ..

Lots of information as you'd expect and amazingly some of the best bits came from here !

This post from Indigo for instance :

This part was interesting :

If any of the small muscles that hold the hip joint capsule together, become too long when fully relaxed, it can cause the sciatic nerve to get pinched resulting in sudden pain or sudden leg movement (a muscle reflex action). You instantly wake up and have no idea why. -- You might occasionally experience such sudden leg movement as you relax while drifting off to sleep. That would be a tell tail warning sign that you are susceptible to sciatic nerve pain (Sciatica) and/or restless legs.

For the last year I've had the weird jerky random leg .... so I guess I've had symptoms longer than I realised.

So anyway .. fixing it .. or alleviating .

NSAIDS (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) should help. I try to avoid them and have none in stock, so it wasn't an option.

Ice pack ! Wrapped in a clean towel - stuffed against buttock (or leg if that's where you have pain) for 15 minutes. Suggestions vary for how often you can do this, but once an hour seems ok. My buttock is still there.

I then moved onto stretching. I'm guessing what will work will depend on each persons body and where exactly the nerve is trapped.

For me in the end I found these to work :

Lying on the floor flat for 15 minutes to begin. Very boring but it gets everything relaxing.

The next stretch hurts like hell, but seems effective - except I couldn't move enough to do it.

You sit up (carefully) then take one foot and cross it over the opposite knee. Then slowly move your chest to your legs and hold the position for 15-30 seconds. Then do the same with the other leg. Start with the leg which doesn't hurt. For my pain side, it took me about 3 minutes to get my foot to my knee and after repeated very slow movements, stop, rest, try again - after about another 5 minutes my chest was several miles away from my legs - but you could feel it stretching everywhere.

As mentioned, I couldn't actually move enough at the start to do this stretch so had to slowly work on being able to lift my legs .

So I had to do this, commencing just with lifting the legs (This is generally probably a bad idea as it can/will put strain on your lower back which is the last thing you want to do, but it was the only thing which freed my legs up) - I'll let Camille show you rather than me explain :

Moving on from there I noticed that sitting aggravated it. So wondered about the "kneeling" chairs. These seem to be a bit of a disaster so I went for the simple option of trying kneeling at the desk/table. Much better !! So researched that. It seems the best thing to do is kneel with one leg, but put the other leg forwards so you support yourself on your foot with one leg and the knee with the other. Then alternate between legs. This helps core strength and stops you (me :) ) slouching when sitting. You can then add in mini squats to make life more interesting.

Those bits seems to have got me fairly mobile again in a couple of days and that's where I am now. Plan to take it easy this week when possible to give any inflamed areas time to heal. My butttt still hurts, so it's not gone completely, but at least I can walk again and can go over electric fences rather than having to crawl under them :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yup, I need to go see someone. I had begun last year but circumstances intervened a few months ago so it wasn't possible with a mix of Covid rules/where I was and so on.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
A good few years ago I gave up cycling as I was constantly "getting a bad back". I used to ride regularly and run as well and thought that it was just an age thing.

I took up pilates and then yoga, not in a fold yourself in two sort of way, more of a increasing my flexibility sort of way. It is really common for cyclist and runners to develop short hamstrings and doing either pilates or yoga really helps. I was the sort of person who could never touch their toes or sit crossed legged. If that applies to any of you then you should do something about it.

Apparently short hamstrings result in lower back problems.

Seeing someone to help with the immediate issue will help but for long term gains start doing some stretches. I do 15 to 20 daily if I can and as a result given myself a new lease of cycling life. This is a local and very good PT with some excellent stuff on You Tube.
Keep moving, dont strain, in the first 24hrs of injury its ice after that its heat.

Best of luck getting it right.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
been there, had it last for a couple of months once.
I found stretching hamstrings helped, and chinups, pressups and planks

Hope you feel better soon Zim

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Sciatica is quite literally a pain in the arse. I've had it several times and it really does wear you down. as Pyr0 says, it can last for months and then suddenly disappear on its own, after trying everything under the sun. it can go down to your feet as well, with tingling and numbness. its just the luck of the draw how long it lasts, hopefully you will be lucky. ? If not, can I borrow your bike??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It happens to me in bed and so far never anywhere else! It is after I've been asleep on my back. I wake up to a tingling pain in a line down my right leg from the crease at the top of my leg all the way to just above my ankle. If I could illustrate where the pain is it would look like a seamed stocking! Turning on my side for half an hour or so and it reduces enough for me to drift off to sleep again. Painkillers don't seem to work. The less I ride, the more I get sciatica.

My brother had it 24/7 and it was literally crippling him. He used to be a sporty guy, football, squash etc but the sciatica put stop to all that. He had difficulty walking. I leant him one of my bikes and advised him to get some miles in. It was a hybrid city bike, with 50mm of Suntour's finest 50mm suspension coil forks. But it did the job! He kept the bike for 3 months and then bought it off me. The sciatica never returned.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same.....I get sciatica only when in bed. I usually do not windsurf in January and february, and thats when I get sciatica. The rest of the year I am fine. Windsurfing is a full body workout. Whilst the core is held in tension virtually every other muscle group is flexed . So it does seem to me that the right sort of exercise is the answer.
There are probably a lot of causes of sciatica but my suspicion in my case was that it was caused by driving, especially vehicles with less than ideal pedal/driving positions. These days I always value the type of throttle pedal in, for instance, a BMW. That is floor mounted not mounted from the top. I also make sure my leg and foot are both kept straight ( not heel angled towards the brake pedal) and that the seat position provides support under my thighs. ( Basically I have just described a Series 5 BMW driving position!) .
My sciatica is more of niggle than sharp pain but when it gets on my nerves ( literally) I find Ibruprofen relieves it

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
You're lucky @Mikerb. Ibuprofen wouldn't ease mine at all. I had pain right down the back of my leg into the heel of my foot and it would swap sides some days.
Couldn't walk properly or sit comfortably. Absolute nightmare.

I do think you're correct though, I believe it's down to stretching and core exercise

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm now thinking back and trying to identify things .. Based on some of @Mikerb's comments, I noticed a couple of years ago that I was ending up with a sort of leg cramp death pain in one leg when driving. After several months I emptied my back pockets, normally light gloves in one and wallet in the other .. that fixed that. So I guess that was another part of it. Logically, if you have a wallet in one back pocket it will be twisting your spine and applying a pressure spot.

I normally ride whatever, but with moving a few months ago and less trails on the door step I ride less, not wanting to wreck trails. So this could be another contributing factor.

I've always been crap at stretching too. Amusingly I started addressing this a few weeks ago, but I think that's more a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted ! :)

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I favour Taiji (or Tai chi). Been doing it for 25 years and find it really helps. Trouble is it takes a lot of time and effort to learn the "full monty" Taiji Quan, the long flowing stuff. Much easier to learn is Taiji Qi Gong, it gives you many of the physical benefits of Taiji without the internal energy stuff. Two excellent sources are:

and:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sciatica is why I bought an eBike.

Some stretches;

Attachments

• Nuffield 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 361
  • Nuffield 1.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 404
  • Marple PhysioTools.pdf
    531 KB · Views: 387

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ve had it a few times and my chiropractor did his thing but told me usually 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol should work , and it did !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@KennyB Thanks for posting that Tai Chi video and also for revealing that there are at least two different types. I say "at least" because I had no idea that there was more than one, so if there's two, why not three or more?

I have done Pilates for 12 years and I'm looking for something different. One of the instructors also teaches Yoga and Tai Chi. When I asked her about it, she was evasive. I didn't push her but I formed the impression that either she didn't want to teach me or she thought I was not suitable for it. We get on well, so I suspected it might be the latter. I let it ride because I did not want to make her feel uncomfortable.

Now I've seen the video, I'm beginning to think she was right. I had thought Tai Chi was a bit like a slow motion martial art. But that looks nothing like what I expected, even after seeing all the old folk doing it in the park in Japan/Taiwan/Korea/China/wherever. I accept that moving slowly, in control and not wobbling can be really difficult, but it looks so boring! I'm beginning to think she was right about me, I'm just not temperamentally suited to Tai Chi. Pilates is about as slow as I want to go.

PS: What's with the all enveloping outfit she was wearing? Is that the standard gear? If so, why?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
There are 5 different styles of Taijiquan and each has several different forms (empty hand plus weapons). Bet you're glad you asked. The suit is kind of traditional, think Bruce Lee.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are 5 different styles of Taijiquan and each has several different forms (empty hand plus weapons). Bet you're glad you asked. The suit is kind of traditional, think Bruce Lee.
Five! OK, you are correct, I am glad I asked. There's hope for me yet to find one that I like the look of. Time for some research.

Bruce Lee always looked cool in his gear, even the two piece brown job.:cool:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Hey ZF,

For a change I can return a favour. Two months ago I had Sciatica after falling backwards while climbing uphill and landing on a hard object.
My PT and Physio were great help, and you should see a physio ASAP! In the meantime...

1. To relax your lower back nerves you should assume ‘child position’, ie. kneel on the floor, knees a little wider than your hips, lean forward to the floor, while stretching your arms forward. Good relief (for me), breathe slowly and stay in that position for a minute. Google ‘child pose’ on the interwebs.

2. Do a cat and cow and cat and cow... (yoga) positions, then

3 Relax in child pose.

This should give you some relief until you see a physio, who will near-break-you , but you will be on a way to recovery!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
1. To relax your lower back nerves you should assume ‘child position’, ie. kneel on the floor, knees a little wider than your hips, lean forward to the floor, while stretching your arms forward. Good relief (for me), breathe slowly and stay in that position for a minute. Google ‘child pose’ on the interwebs.
Ohhh hell .. that hurt in way more places than it should have :) Took several attempts with increasing progress each time. The arms forwards really hits the torn rotator cuff, which I'm still working on, so that's good ! :)

@carlbiker might help yours too...

I think cat and cow can wait until tomorrow ... the body's had enough new weird things flung at it today :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
try putting a 5mm chest zip wetsuit on and off......that will give you all the stretching you need!:p

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'm now thinking back and trying to identify things .. Based on some of @Mikerb's comments, I noticed a couple of years ago that I was ending up with a sort of leg cramp death pain in one leg when driving. After several months I emptied my back pockets, normally light gloves in one and wallet in the other .. that fixed that. So I guess that was another part of it. Logically, if you have a wallet in one back pocket it will be twisting your spine and applying a pressure spot.

I normally ride whatever, but with moving a few months ago and less trails on the door step I ride less, not wanting to wreck trails. So this could be another contributing factor.

I've always been crap at stretching too. Amusingly I started addressing this a few weeks ago, but I think that's more a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted ! :)
Probably most noticeable if you spend a lot of hours driving as I used to do when working, is the way in which some car seat and pedal box positions force you into an awkward position. Very often the reach to the throttle with your right leg is shorter than operating the clutch or brake with your left leg. So either your right leg is left unsupported or you angle your heel towards the brake...or both. That in effect puts your hips in an unequal position....and of course you are putting all of your upper body weight onto your pelvis. I have long legs so it was often difficult to get a good driving position in different cars.
I also suffered lower back pain years ago, which first started as a rugby injury, and went to a physio. The first thing she commented on was that when just standing normally my hips were not aligned. That is something you can check just looking into a fitting mirror. It took a few sessions to correct that, but possibly left a weakness.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Tldr the fastest releifs comes from hip opener stretches and totally fatiguing glute/low back exercises.

I've suffered from sciatic pain a lot too. Sorry to be a bit pedantic but siatica is different from sciatic pain. I hope no one here had actual nerve damage. IME poor bending/lifting techniques will trigger it and like others said driving is another serious cause. I've literally pulled over on the freeway to get out of the car to stand up while crying from pain. And had to do this multiple times just to go a few miles.

I learned from my chiro that the muscles around the nerve lock up to attempt to prevent movement and that's what causes the pain. The solution is to fatigue out the muscles to get them to relax. I lay down on my side and lift my leg straight up and back, squeezing my glutes and hammys. You can also do this standing up by doing hamstring leg curls. Deep stretching is another great treatment, just look for "hip openers," there are lots. I like to do a low runners lunge with a back bend to a forward fold with a leg extended in front.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Sciatica sucks! I got it in March last year and still have it to this day. In September/October it worsened severely to the point that getting in/out of car was excruciating and I walked with a limp. I'm 41. I have the worlds tightest hamstrings and sit down all day for work and other stuff.

Stretching was the thing that helped me get up and moving again and now I deal with minimal daily pain, but's it's still there and I have learned to move around it. I have been working away a lot the last 6 months which really hasn't helped.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for other fixes that you old codgers recommend :giggle:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
yes I do yoga and murder people.
Are you sure you mean you do yoga and not, you do yoda ?

yoda.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hang on .... which ones your mom ? The hot one with the ears or the ex-rock star with the moobs support, giant nose and over hanging moustach ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The hardest thing about my Pilates class was that I was the only bloke. Some of the exercises put my abdomen under strain and can bring on a fart. Even if I can slip out a silent one, they always seem to know it's me!

I have tried holding them in, but once you try holding one in the problems can magnify. I have held them in until the point where my face is almost purple and I can't concentrate on the moves! But it is ultimately the wrong strategy. The longer I hold one in the louder it becomes when I am eventually forced to let it out! Then they definitely know it's me! If I had just let out a silent one they can only suspect. They give me suspicious looks, but they can't be sure!

I pass on this wisdom gained from 12 years of Pilates classes with mostly female participants of all ages - from mid 20's to mid 80's.

By the way, the women fart too, but it is always discrete, never directional, and they never smell, I don't know how they do it. More wisdom do I need! :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles