Schwalbe Eddy Current

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I have both the 2.4 and 2.6 Eddy front and don’t care for either, to me there a slow rolling heavy DHF. AND JUST as unpredictable as a DHF
Wow you think the DHF is unpredictable? To me is one of the most consistent tires in the front. I ride a lot of hard pack with moderate amounts of loose top dirt, some wet, some rocky stuff. Still I don't think DHF is bad in the wet or almost anywhere, pretty much has become my front tire of choice. I've run Dampf and Mary in front on occasion too, hate the Mary unless it's soft and Dampf is decent but not as predictable as DHF in front, IMO. What do you like for front tire that's more consistent than DHF?

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Wow you think the DHF is unpredictable? To me is one of the most consistent tires in the front. I ride a lot of hard pack with moderate amounts of loose top dirt, some wet, some rocky stuff. Still I don't think DHF is bad in the wet or almost anywhere, pretty much has become my front tire of choice. I've run Dampf and Mary in front on occasion too, hate the Mary unless it's soft and Dampf is decent but not as predictable as DHF in front, IMO. What do you like for front tire that's more consistent than DHF?
I have found a pattern let’s see if it stays true. everyone who i have found liking DHF runs narrow wheels. 32 or narrower
Mary and Hans and assajgi but the narrowest front wheel i run is a 35 . The 29x2.6 tires Shwab makes roll on narrow wheels and become unpredictable. Example. Hans 29x2.6 on a 29-32mm internal wheel is the worst front tire on planet. but I’m hard dry conditions with puma stone, granite, shale, sand, kitty litter, on a 35 internal it wears like iron and super predictable.
At all the EWS ROUNDS, It’s crazy how popular that tire is. Seemed like everyone had it on. Looked at every podium and it only landed in 2-3rd place is cat 3 in two different age groups. every cat 1 and pro podium was not on DHF.
That to me speaks for itself
But every cat1 and pro rider i ride with very seldom uses it as they agree with me. Very unforgiving and unpredictable spec on trails with off cambers or flat hard with loose on top.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I have found a pattern let’s see if it stays true. everyone who i have found liking DHF runs narrow wheels. 32 or narrower
Mary and Hans and assajgi but the narrowest front wheel i run is a 35 . The 29x2.6 tires Shwab makes roll on narrow wheels and become unpredictable. Example. Hans 29x2.6 on a 29-32mm internal wheel is the worst front tire on planet. but I’m hard dry conditions with puma stone, granite, shale, sand, kitty litter, on a 35 internal it wears like iron and super predictable.
At all the EWS ROUNDS, It’s crazy how popular that tire is. Seemed like everyone had it on. Looked at every podium and it only landed in 2-3rd place is cat 3 in two different age groups. every cat 1 and pro podium was not on DHF.
That to me speaks for itself
But every cat1 and rco rider i ride with very seldom uses it as they agree with me. Very unforgiving and unpredictable spec on trails with off cambers or flat hard with loose on top.

Yea, my front is 30 mil inner (29) so I guess it confirms your theory, but on my regular bike I run 36 mil inner and a 2.8 DHF (27.5) which IMO one of the best combos I've ever had. I've contemplated Assegai for front 30mil but after seeing on other bikes reminds me too much of a MM, super aggressive cornering knobs which I find unstable on hard surfaces, especially in corners. I might try one though anyway because is more reminiscent of Minion profile than Mary.

I don't really base my tire selections on racers, good to know what is working for the fast guys but from the best options draw my own conclusions. Used to run the old Hans in 2.35 before going to wider rims, loved that tire in the dry hardpack. New Hans was a let down, 29 x 2.6 but not the usual Schwalbe extra width and cornering knobs too shallow, would wash too fast, maybe better like you say on 35 or wider.

Bottom-line I like a front tire with a more rounded profile overall with semi-aggressive cornering knobs but not extreme like MM unless the terrain warrants it. It seemed like new Hans would fit the bill but not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles