Santa Cruz Ebike

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Had a good look at one of these today at BikeScene. It's a really nice looking bike. Apparently there's been a lot of interest - £7.7k though!

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
The low camera angle was a necessary evil for my purpose.
I wanted to show the pedal movement vis a vis the motor.

I suppose I could have swapped views a bit for those more interested in the scenery. ;)

Raining in Phoenix today.
Epic riding conditions (moto and pedal) tomorrow.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, it’s like the “Sam Hill uses flats so everyone else should” argument. Danny Mac isn’t normal.

There’s a good video out there of his first ride on the Heckler and while he was getting used to the extra weight it’s not all successful tricks by a long shot. Still way more than I’ll ever be capable of though.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I love the little brake chirrup noises he makes when surveying each section. You can just feel the vibe he has from vids like this. Such a class trials rider.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Approaching 300 miles on my Heckler-S.
No issues on the Heckler.

Using STUNLOCKER, I reduced the wheel size by a metric factor of 0.62. I now get 28-MPH in Eco and about 32-MPH in Boost (apparently the new limit). I flipped the display to read KMH which shows a facsimile of the actual MPH (due to using the metric factor of 0.62 to reduce wheel size, don't ya know?). Mainly it removes that annoying power drop-off that begins at 18.5-MPH (right when I really need it).

The Shimano E8000 really doesn't like the pedals spinning up much beyond 120 RPM. It drops of the power very quickly. I'm a spinner and use lower gears a lot, but on those quick sprints up a bump, I'll have to run a gear or two up.

I found that I wasn't getting enough suspension throw. The last inch and a half (40mm) was evading me. So, finding three spacers in the fork and two spacers in the shock, they were removed with prejudice.

I'll test them on my rocky local trail when the mid-week Phoenix rain soaks in a bit.

HecklerForkTokens.JPG

Steveg56

Nov 7, 2019
California
Hey AZRickD,

How did you remove the spacers? Is it difficult? I’m 195lbs, do you have any idea how many I would need in each front and rear shock? Sorry new to this mountain bike thing. Just purchased a new Heckler CC S model last week.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Levo SL has a max tire size of 2.3", and that's a non-starter for me. I need more of an all-mountain bike. I'm quite happy with my Shuttle for now, and will wait it out a year or two for the next wave of drive and battery systems that don't compromise range and power for weight.
I have the SL and you can easily fit a maxxis DHR II in 2.5 with room to spare. Many other 2.5 as well.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Token removal is Easy Peasy on the Fork. The shock is similar only different. Search YouTube.

I removed them all since I wanted plushness to be king to my aging joints. There is a chance that I might have to add spacers back in (maybe to the shock if it doesn't ramp up to my liking), but I'll ride it through some rough stuff for a while.

For the Fox Fork:

For the Rock Shock Shock:

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, it’s like the “Sam Hill uses flats so everyone else should” argument.
I don't really see how?
The Sam Hill argument is "Sam Hill WINS on flats" "so why do you (other top pro racers) *need* clips"?

In the grand scheme of things. No matter how skilled the rider, trials looks a bit shit on an E bike. For the same reasons it'd look a bit shit done on any bike aproaching 50lb in weight.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, it’s like the “Sam Hill uses flats so everyone else should” argument.
I don't really see how?
The Sam Hill argument is "Sam Hill WINS on flats" "so why do other top pro racers *need* clips"?

In the grand scheme of things. No matter how skilled the rider, trials does look a bit shit on an E bike. For the same reasons it'd look a bit shit done on any bike aproaching 50lb in weight.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
I don't really see how?
The Sam Hill argument is "Sam Hill WINS on flats" "so why do you (other top pro racers) *need* clips"?

In the grand scheme of things. No matter how skilled the rider, trials looks a bit shit on an E bike. For the same reasons it'd look a bit shit done on any bike aproaching 50lb in weight.

What like an actual trials bike?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Approaching 300 miles on my Heckler-S.
No issues on the Heckler.

Using STUNLOCKER, I reduced the wheel size by a metric factor of 0.62. I now get 28-MPH in Eco and about 32-MPH in Boost (apparently the new limit). I flipped the display to read KMH which shows a facsimile of the actual MPH (due to using the metric factor of 0.62 to reduce wheel size, don't ya know?). Mainly it removes that annoying power drop-off that begins at 18.5-MPH (right when I really need it).

The Shimano E8000 really doesn't like the pedals spinning up much beyond 120 RPM. It drops of the power very quickly. I'm a spinner and use lower gears a lot, but on those quick sprints up a bump, I'll have to run a gear or two up.

I found that I wasn't getting enough suspension throw. The last inch and a half (40mm) was evading me. So, finding three spacers in the fork and two spacers in the shock, they were removed with prejudice.

I'll test them on my rocky local trail when the mid-week Phoenix rain soaks in a bit.

Can you show a screen capture of your STunlocker? Currious on the .62 reduction. wouldn't you want to increase not reduce? I know with my truck I have bigger tires than stock so my speedo is 9% off meaning if it says i am going 60 I really am going about 64-65ish.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Currious on the .62 reduction. wouldn't you want to increase not reduce?

This is not experimental. It has actually been done. Results verified with GPS.

If your wheel setting is 2200mm (on a 27.5" rim), multiply that times 0.62. That will give you 1364mm. Change your wheel size from 2200-ish to 1364-ish.

So, when your wheels are spinning super fast, the computer will say, "Well, duh. He's spinning teensy wheels. Party-on, Garth."

Change your display to read Km/hr and you will have a representative read-out for MPH.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles