Santa Cruz Ebike

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
Can't remember where I saw it but there was this Santa Cruz with a really stylish frame with a thin down tube holding a battery .Anybody seen this or was it an April fool post ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There might have been a mock up put out there, but no word of anything from any reliable source. The company that owns Santa Cruz, Pons, does own other brands that have bikes though.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I thought Santa Cruz was one of the companies that is an ebike hold out and has sworn that they won't release one? Obviously theyll change their mind as the market shifts, but I bet this was an April fool

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I thought Santa Cruz was one of the companies that is an ebike hold out and has sworn that they won't release one? Obviously theyll change their mind as the market shifts, but I bet this was an April fool

I seem to remember an interview a year ago where someone from Santa Cruz saying they weren't currently pursuing an eBike. Same with Transition. I could be wrong though...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Santacruz have said that they are not anti Emtb, but its something they would have to divert considerable R & D funds into, and they dont see the demand from their customer base to do so over putting the money into traditional bike development, though that could change in the future.

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Can't remember where I saw it but there was this Santa Cruz with a really stylish frame with a thin down tube holding a battery .Anybody seen this or was it an April fool post ?
A company called “Kranked” makes eBikes out of a few Santa Cruz models, I think Vancouver based? A very slick bolt-on conversion kit NOT authorized by Santa Cruz.

I’d imagine Santa Cruz has global distribution and parent-company reach to place an eMTB as a product in serious consideration for development. I certainly would not be shocked to see an eBronson or eMegaTower before 2021. But not counting on it.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Santacruz have said that they are not anti Emtb, but its something they would have to divert considerable R & D funds into, and they dont see the demand from their customer base to do so over putting the money into traditional bike development, though that could change in the future.
Yeah a lot of the Santa Cruz custom base are not at this moment the type to go electric. I think that Santa Cruz are waiting for the time to be right as launching to soon will alienate some of there customer base, I'm thinking that this is more of there american customers than British.
I would expect them to already be working on one though, but they will keep it very hush hush until they feel the market is accepting enough of them.

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Santa Cruz is GLOBALLY neck and neck with Specialized for the #1 spot of total sales in bicycles. Crazy as that sound. So no doubt eMTBs are on the radar as soon as possible. They could over take the big S, it is astounding they are that close without one. I recall once upon a time, Santa Cruz had stickers and t shirts that said "one less 29er", so they can change stances fast.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Santa Cruz is GLOBALLY neck and neck with Specialized for the #1 spot of total sales in bicycles. Crazy as that sound. So no doubt eMTBs are on the radar as soon as possible. They could over take the big S, it is astounding they are that close without one. I recall once upon a time, Santa Cruz had stickers and t shirts that said "one less 29er", so they can change stances fast.
Really? I cant believe that Santa Cruz are anywhere near Specilized in terms of sales, I would be surprised if they had even 20% of the sales volume of the big S.

Are you sure you don't mean the Pon Group ( owners of Gazelle, Cervélo, FOCUS, Santa Cruz, Kalkhoff and others ) which is the parent company of SC? The group as a whole I could believe has bike sales matching specialized

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Mountain bike category, over $2500 retail (sweet spot for real ATBs). The NPD Group / U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Independent Bicycle Dealers, Dollar Sales.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok so basically for bikes costing over 2.5k in the US they have similar sales levels, that doesn't really surprise me, but that's a very small segment of the bicycle world.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
Rumor says Feb 11 they will reveal one, anyone know about this?

Ok, a guy I ride with in our group (10+), said 3 guys just sold their levos. One of them has a friend who owns a bike shop & is getting them deals on the new SC e bike. I believe that part, but he also said that it is going to be 35lbs, not sure on that bit lol.

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Just over 20kg with a 504w battery and Shimano motor. It’s dropping on Thursday here in Oz. There top spec carbon will be everything/top level components and be a similar price to sworks Levo.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Just over 20kg with a 504w battery and Shimano motor. It’s dropping on Thursday here in Oz. There top spec carbon will be everything/top level components and be a similar price to sworks Levo.
Well tats disappointing if it has a 500wh battery

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Well tats disappointing if it has a 500wh battery
Not really, 95% of my rides that power would be more than enough but I do understand the range anxiety. For comparison my 25kg 2019 Kenevo comfortably gets 50km, mostly eco with around 20% of that in trail/turbo which is pretty good. A 20kg bike would get better range than that.
So far with my 700w 2020 Kenevo I haven’t even used more than 65% battery anywhere I’ve been.
There has to be a compromise somewhere

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Not really, 95% of my rides that power would be more than enough but I do understand the range anxiety. For comparison my 25kg 2019 Kenevo comfortably gets 50km, mostly eco with around 20% of that in trail/turbo which is pretty good. A 20kg bike would get better range than that.
So far with my 700w 2020 Kenevo I haven’t even used more than 65% battery anywhere I’ve been.
There has to be a compromise somewhere
I don't think a 5 kg saving on the overall weight of bike, rider and kit is going to have a massive impact on battery life

Reactions: CjP

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
In any case it’s going to be a sick bike
Yeah true. I ride a yeti sb6c non electric bike. I don't Think we will ever see a yeti ebike, not until they change there switch link design.

Wonder what model the santa cruz will be based on?

Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I don't think a 5 kg saving on the overall weight of bike, rider and kit is going to have a massive impact on battery life
No definitely not massive but I’d guess at least a few kms and you can definitely notice the weight difference

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
Ok, so I talked to that guy for a minute today. He said it will have a 500w battery, but they are saying they get the same range with that 500w as a Levo with 700w. Supposedly it is way more efficient, but does that mean less power? Haha. It will be around 10k USD, didn't ask if there were other tiers of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles