Sanity check: Merida e160 500 vs Trek Rail 5

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
I have a deposit down on an e160 which should be here in a few weeks. However, before going all in on the purchase I'd like to run it by the far more experienced members here.

I'm very new to eMTBs and MTBing in general but commute on an ebike daily, at least when we were working face to face. I'm after a bike to grow with on the trails and build up the skills, something trouble free that didn't break the bank.

It was a very close run between the Merida and the Trek Rail 5. The pricing is similar all said and done, few hundred difference. Specs are near identical (same shocks, brakes, 12s vs 11s drivetrain). The Merida should arrive in November, Trek have advised January for new Rail stock in my size. Most if not all reviews note the capable, all-rounder geometry on both. The mullet setup on the Merida appeals for something I can learn to throw around the corners more but head to head comparisons seem to favour the Bosch equipped Trek as more of a steamroller down the trails.

I'm more genuinely on the fence with the motor ecosystems: love the ideal of the naturalness of the EP8, but will definitely miss the 'post-pedal push' of the Bosch (my Yamaha-equipped ebike has the push and I get it can be properly handy on technical climbs avoiding pedal strike). Am I right in reading Bosch seems to be edging ahead in the reliability and post-sales stock stakes? That's a consideration with the supply chain as gummed up as it is - these aren't cheap bikes by any measure, so I'll feel the downtime if anything did go wrong.

Stock being what it is I've had to drop a deposit to even get hold of a bike. A trail test ride is out of the question as well - the best the dealers can offer is a stately cruise around the carpark.

Any other considerations? Is the Merida the dud call, or six of one and half a dozen of the other? Are they both awesome options that I'd be perfectly happy with? (Hopefully that last one.) Anyone ridden both in any detail and lived to share the comparison? I'm getting some pre-purchase jitters so any sanity checks would be enormously appreciated!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I'vre got a trek rail 7 with upgraded fork & shock. If I was buying again the merida & new reign would also be in the tossup. The only bad thing I'll say about Trek is anything with Bontrager written on it is probably worth replacing from new.
You'll love whatever you get don't sweat it. Count yourself lucky you can get your hands on something so soon!

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
I'vre got a trek rail 7 with upgraded fork & shock. If I was buying again the merida & new reign would also be in the tossup. The only bad thing I'll say about Trek is anything with Bontrager written on it is probably worth replacing from new.
You'll love whatever you get don't sweat it. Count yourself lucky you can get your hands on something so soon!
Thanks for the reply, it was very reassuring. First world problems, eh? That there doesn't seem to be a clear class leader makes the decision all the more crippling, but I'm sure once that bike arrives all doubt will melt away. Having the time, money and health to make the purchase a reality is truly something to be grateful for.

I probably should start diverting that time and focus I've been devoting to research to something more productive now, like improving my technique!

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
We have two Meridas (mine and my wife's). My e160 Limited has E8000 motor (70Nm) and has been reliable over 1000 miles. The only things I've changed are the forks (RC35Gold are poor) and replaced with Lyrik RCT3 and it is night and day difference. Other minor changes were grips and saddle for personal fit and comfort. My wife has the later e160 700 (EP8) with 630wHr battery. She's only changed saddle and grips as the Bomber fork is really nice. She loves her bike! Solid performance.

I also have an Orbea Rise M10 (EP8 RS) with only 60Nm and again no issues even with a reduced output (detuned) EP8 motor.

I have ridden with others on Bosch drivetrains and that is pretty meaty. It depends on what you want from your style of riding - the Bosch certainly seems to have more grunt compared to EP8 but can seem a little unnatural (feedback from users) until you get used to it. Personally, I prefer the more natural delivery of the EP8.

I don't know if you can tune the Bosch system like you can the Shimano set ups (I don't think you can unless you go with the newly announced Bosch drivetrain).

As Doug has stated, you won't go wrong with either bike...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles