Sam2 Shock options

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi guys,

so after another rear shock upgrade not fitting, asking if anyone had success getting a shock with better tuning options fitted? Looking for more compression adjustment as a minimum. There may be another thread, but I can't find anything Sam2 specific regarding this.

I have tried:

Fox Float X2 2019, the newer can is too long and contacts frame
DVO Topaz, rebound adjuster contacts at full compression

A Fox DPX2 may work, but thinking the bulge at the top of the can may be too big, same as the Float X2.

Thanks in advance

Gards1971

Apr 23, 2019
Wales
Hi guys,

so after another rear shock upgrade not fitting, asking if anyone had success getting a shock with better tuning options fitted? Looking for more compression adjustment as a minimum. There may be another thread, but I can't find anything Sam2 specific regarding this.

I have tried:

Fox Float X2 2019, the newer can is too long and contacts frame
DVO Topaz, rebound adjuster contacts at full compression

A Fox DPX2 may work, but thinking the bulge at the top of the can may be too big, same as the Float X2.

Thanks in advance
If you are looking for a shock with a piggy back air can and could provide more support at the initial part of the stroke, then there is RockShox SuperDeluxe RCT shock, which is fitted to the Sam 6.9 and hence will definitely fit.

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
If you are looking for a shock with a piggy back air can and could provide more support at the initial part of the stroke, then there is RockShox SuperDeluxe RCT shock, which is fitted to the Sam 6.9 and hence will definitely fit.

Yep a superdelux RCT, or even Ultimate, def on the radar, will be next try unless i get other feedback, cheers.

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
How about Öhlins? Marco Fontana is running them on his bikes and i believe the 2018 x2 does fit, i’ve seen a few bikes on instagram with it...
Maybe a Canecreek inline? Or a coil shock maybe?

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
How about Öhlins? Marco Fontana is running them on his bikes and i believe the 2018 x2 does fit, i’ve seen a few bikes on instagram with it...
Maybe a Canecreek inline? Or a coil shock maybe?

Hey thanks for the info, I had not even realised there was an Öhlins air shock! Had a look and the TTX Air does come in a 230x65, and would prob fit! Quite pricey tho at €885. Would certainly look dope onboard. CC DBair CS and Inline, I checked drawings and approx 70ish mm diameter the air can is too big

Coils are def not and option, so tight next to linkage that only and air shaft will fit.

Waiting on a DPX2 at the mo, got a 2019 for £500.

Cheers

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Success!! Thanks to DenyeR for the tip on the Öhlins, went for a TTX Air, can't wait to try her out with this!

BTW DPX2 does not fit, high speed lever contacts frame when in Open mode
IMG_3694.jpeg

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
It looks fucking awesome, can't wait to read how it performs, keep us updated!!

It does really look good in the flesh, helps fill that burly frame! Got some new decals for the front fork coming, the old were scratched up anyway. Custom coloured to help the shock blend. Will post a full shot when they've been swapped.

Unfortunately I can't ride at the mo due to a medical issue, but getting sorted, need to be able to ride proper in sept as visiting uncle in spain and should be able to hit Ainsa!

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
Just got my sam2 6.8, how has the Öhlins been working? I haven’t been able to set up the dps correctly, besides that, gotta change the dropper, seat and grips.

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Just got my sam2 6.8, how has the Öhlins been working? I haven’t been able to set up the dps correctly, besides that, gotta change the dropper, seat and grips.
Sorry unfortunately i haven't been able to ride! Had a small surgery and so been off the bike, very sad! But the op was to get me riding fingers crossed i get to test in spain about 2 weeks from now :)

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Any update on the shock??
Yes it worked flawlessly on the few trails that i got onto while away, loose rocky single track, with some steep rock sections. Def felt a more stable feeling rear, as much as limited testing. Unfortunately i wasn't healed up as much as i hoped and had to take more time off the bike since, getting a puppy hasn't helped either! I have no doubt its the best, if only upgrade option.

The bike that DenyeR has posted has a shorter X2 with an old style can (2016-17 i think), believe me i have tried one! Look how far forward the shock rocker is sitting away from frame.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Asking for a friend with a Jam2. Is there any way to increase rear travel by changing or over stroking the shock? Can the shock linkage be changed to turn it into a Sam2?

Oz Fisher

Aug 25, 2021
Purple1
If I want to replace the Deluxe shock that came with m Focus Sam2 (2018), but can't afford the Öhlins TTX Air, what would people recommend? Thanks, Oz.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles