Sam2 rear shock pressures

Nxxi

Nov 7, 2019
Rotherham, Uk
So I took my brand new Sam2 6.8 on her first ride yesterday, love the bike, however, I found the rear suspension sat wayyyy too far into its travel while I was riding, I set it to around 30% sag while in the house but out and about it was at least 2/3 the way through the travel.

Now, I'm a fairly big lad (18st 8 naked. 6ft2) but I had 225psi in the shock and still it was too soft When I got home I banged that up to to 275 and it seems a little better but only time will time - next ride is Saturday.

What pressures are you using and how much do you weigh?

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
So I took my brand new Sam2 6.8 on her first ride yesterday, love the bike, however, I found the rear suspension sat wayyyy too far into its travel while I was riding, I set it to around 30% sag while in the house but out and about it was at least 2/3 the way through the travel.

Now, I'm a fairly big lad (18st 8 naked. 6ft2) but I had 225psi in the shock and still it was too soft When I got home I banged that up to to 275 and it seems a little better but only time will time - next ride is Saturday.

What pressures are you using and how much do you weigh?
You need to set your sag when youve all your riding gear on not naked uless thats how you roll ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a Focus Jam2 and it uses the same suspension design as the Sam.
Focus use their FOLD kinematic suspension design (Focus Optimised Linkage Design -or something like that). It is supposed to go deeper into the travel at first before ramping up later. I have mixed feelings about it.

I too don't like the way it seems to use up so much of its travel. But then again, it is smooth and seems bottomless. I have come very close to pushing the O ring off the shock but I have never actually bottomed it out. Because this is Focus's design and it is working as they intended, I have left it untouched so far. But because the shock compresses so much more than the fork, the attitude of the bike changes when climbing and I'm sure it makes climbing more tricky than it should. I have finally decided to do something about it.

The obvious solution is to add some rings to my Rockshox shock to reduce the air volume. This will provide more mid stroke support and stop the rear from dropping quite so much without affecting the sag point by more than a percent or two. I have done this before on other bikes with great success (fitted with Rockshox and Fox shocks). It sounds like a good solution for you as well. You can remove the rings just as easily as they were fitted if you don't like the effect.

I would have done it months ago, but I got the chance to try a ShockWiz. It took a while to get my hands on it, but finally I will be trying it out on the shock today.

Nxxi

Nov 7, 2019
Rotherham, Uk
QUOTE="Ripping g, post: 126609, member: 7139"]You need to set your sag when youve all your riding gear on not naked uless thats how you roll ?[/QUOTE]
That's just how I roll ??

Nxxi

Nov 7, 2019
Rotherham, Uk
I have a Focus Jam2 and it uses the same suspension design as the Sam.
Focus use their FOLD kinematic suspension design (Focus Optimised Linkage Design -or something like that). It is supposed to go deeper into the travel at first before ramping up later. I have mixed feelings about it.

I too don't like the way it seems to use up so much of its travel. But then again, it is smooth and seems bottomless. I have come very close to pushing the O ring off the shock but I have never actually bottomed it out. Because this is Focus's design and it is working as they intended, I have left it untouched so far. But because the shock compresses so much more than the fork, the attitude of the bike changes when climbing and I'm sure it makes climbing more tricky than it should. I have finally decided to do something about it.

The obvious solution is to add some rings to my Rockshox shock to reduce the air volume. This will provide more mid stroke support and stop the rear from dropping quite so much without affecting the sag point by more than a percent or two. I have done this before on other bikes with great success (fitted with Rockshox and Fox shocks). It sounds like a good solution for you as well. You can remove the rings just as easily as they were fitted if you don't like the effect.

I would have done it months ago, but I got the chance to try a ShockWiz. It took a while to get my hands on it, but finally I will be trying it out on the shock today.

Sounds ideal. I'm going to test ride it properly with 275psi in and see how it feels but you're right, it does sit really far into the travel...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref my previous post (#3)
The ShockWiz said that all was well! Air pressure in my shock was OK, rebound damping OK, and the air spring tune was also OK. I can't change the LSC and HSC, but it wanted me to firm them both up a bit. But it also reported that my dynamic sag was 37%! This is vs the static sag of 28% that I set, so it's a lot softer than I would prefer. Probably why I'm going though so much of the travel.

After thought, I decided to increase the air pressure to reduce the static sag to 25% and then I'll repeat the test. That should reduce the dynamic sag; let's see what it does to the rest of the settings. :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles