Levo Gen 2 S-Mag motor ERRORS after belt repair

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
Hi, My bike, a 2019 Levo broke the belt, I have replaced it with a last generation one.

IMG-20201212-WA0041.jpeg

The problem is that when starting the bike, an engine error appears in TCU.
TCU motor error.png

With Mission Control v2.2.0 I have obtained the codes of these errors: 32768 and 4097
Error 1.png Error 2.png

Battery-motor cable is a new one.

It has been tried to put a new engine and everything works perfectly, then it's an internal engine error.

I don't know if 'Turbo Studio' is capable of erasing non-volatile fault codes. (like on a car)

The fact is that at my dealer they are totally lost and they don't give me any other solution than to change the entire engine.

Any suggestion (other one than change motor ;))...... TK

Last edited:

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
You replaced the belt yourself it sounds like. Why didn't you go through a Specialized shop?
it is a long story...
The bike has been in a dealer, but they do not know very well what to do. I do not know if the limitation of action is supposed by the software they have (Turbo Studio) or their own skills.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You may be better off asking @Bearing Man for an opinion. I know the tension applied to the belt is very specific...........I would also be wondering what caused the belt to self destruct.........that was more likely to be a symptom than a cause.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
You may be better off asking @Bearing Man for an opinion. I know the tension applied to the belt is very specific...........I would also be wondering what caused the belt to self destruct.........that was more likely to be a symptom than a cause.
0,2 Nm with precision torque wrench, vaselined belt...

Acc

Jun 15, 2020
America
I'm pretty sure I read where Bearing man said you can torque 2-3 nm. He always torques to 3nm. may not be much difference?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi, My bike, a 2019 Levo broke the belt, I have replaced it with a last generation one.

View attachment 57268

View attachment 57269

With Mission Control v2.2.0 I have obtained the codes of these errors: 32768 and 4097
View attachment 57271 View attachment 57272

It has been tried to put a new engine and everything works perfectly, then it's an internal engine error.

I don't know if 'Turbo Studio' is capable of erasing non-volatile fault codes. (like on a car)

The fact is that at my dealer they are totally lost and they don't give me any other solution than to change the entire engine.

Have you removed and refitted the crankshaft on this motor? Do you have a picture showing the inside of the belt cover? It looks as though the drive pulley has been rubbing the motor cover, meaning the main bearing has lifted from the main motor body. This can cause the pulleys to run out of line, leading to premature belt failure.
I don’t think this is why yours failed, but it won’t help in the long run.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
Have you removed and refitted the crankshaft on this motor? Do you have a picture showing the inside of the belt cover? It looks as though the drive pulley has been rubbing the motor cover, meaning the main bearing has lifted from the main motor body. This can cause the pulleys to run out of line, leading to premature belt failure.
I don’t think this is why yours failed, but it won’t help in the long run.
Hello, thank you very much for answering and for your advice.
If I have completely disassembled the crankshaft, cleaned verified and greased. The bearings, sprag bearings, central needle bearing, and the main shaft are in very good condition (this engine only had 850 km).
IMG_20210326_200457.jpg

I have managed to do all the job thanks to your videos ;-), for which I am very grateful.
The motor (now) does not have any mechanical problem, it is an electronic problem, or rather a soft one, that without the appropriate computer tool I cannot solve.

Do you have the experience of a motor that after the belt breaks, stores an error that remains in its internal memory and that, after mechanical repair, refuses to work?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Do you have the experience of a motor that after the belt breaks, stores an error that remains in its internal memory and that, after mechanical repair, refuses to work?
No, I have not seen a motor fault following a belt snap, but then I have not seen a 2020 belt snap yet either! This is why I asked all the questions, to see why you are having these issues?
By the way, if you didn't glue the large drive pulley bearing in with 'bearing fit', your motor will fail again.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
No, I have not seen a motor fault following a belt snap, but then I have not seen a 2020 belt snap yet either! This is why I asked all the questions, to see why you are having these issues?
By the way, if you didn't glue the large drive pulley bearing in with 'bearing fit', your motor will fail again.
Thanks for the advice.;)
I already noticed that the large bearing was glued and pointer tapped through the holes in the pulley.
What product do you use? (603, 638, 648?)

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Thanks for the advice.;)
I already noticed that the large bearing was glued and pointer tapped through the holes in the pulley.
What product do you use? (603, 638, 648?)
641, You may want to get it out again ?

RUNDCM

Oct 26, 2019
Maryland
Ive had my 19 levo since July 2019 it hasn’t worked correctly for going on 5 months. Haven’t ridden it in that long. It’s been in a reputable bike shop that deals in specialized ebikes four times. Same error issue. I wish the belt would fail but it hasn’t. It just keeps erroring. The updates were done to the batteries and software. The speed sensor and cable were replaced, the motor to battery power cable replaced, the battery connector end was replaced, all connections to battery were checked. Yet it continues to error out. Not good.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
@syncro Just to help you think around potential solutions here ..........it strikes me that the TCU fault code software would be incapable of recognizing pure mechanical problems with the motor, and I have never been convinced that the diagnosis provided is particularly accurate! As far as I can see the diagnosis is restricted to specifying which aspect of the start up process fails to respond to the digital "handshake". It is also the case that the vast majority of electrical problems lie in connections. So the start consist of a handshake signal to various elements that the TCU needs a reply from in order to authorise start up. The CAN circuit is made live by a switch in the TCU which awakes the battery which sends 36v to the motor which sends 12v to the TCU. So the CAN circuit is OK but it does not like the reply it got from the motor. That infers to me that the TCU does not recognise the motor firmware version. In which case the only solution is for a dealer to reflash the TCU and motor firmware so they match up.

RUNDCM

Oct 26, 2019
Maryland
Perhaps but in my case that comes at the expense of me driving 70 miles one way to pick up & drop off bike. done this four times already. you’re technical explanation may have merit however the right thing for specialized to do is replace the TCU & motor - it’s only a matter of time till the belt fails......not many are speaking of all models of 19 & many ‘20 Levos / Brose motors have virtually 100% motor failure rate. The bike is a ticking time bomb until it’s made right?

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Perhaps but in my case that comes at the expense of me driving 70 miles one way to pick up & drop off bike. done this four times already. I think you’re technical explanation may have merit but for me this right thing for specialized to do is replace the TCU & motor - it’s only a matter of time till the belt fails not many are speaking of it but, all models 19 & 20 Levos / Brose motors have virtually 100% motor failure rate. The bike is a ticking time bomb until it’s made right?
You are riding on the back of someone else's thread here mate.....and you have explained your problems in another thread. I undertand you are frustrated but surely the point of using the forum is to see if anyone can help rather than having a rant...which is inaccurate by the way.

RUNDCM

Oct 26, 2019
Maryland
You are riding on the back of someone else's thread here mate.....and you have explained your problems in another thread. I undertand you are frustrated but surely the point of using the forum is to see if anyone can help rather than having a rant...which is inaccurate by the way.
the original poster has similar error code after dissecting motor - perhaps his issue same. Not sure about an accurate rant. These bikes fail.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
the original poster has similar error code after dissecting motor - perhaps his issue same.
Yes, but @Mikerb was replying to them. He even highlighted them at the start of the reply so it was clear. You then replied to that as if it was aimed at you, which it wasn't. Hence the confusion.

You're correct though. 100% of people who've had a motor failure, have had a motor failure. Real world it used to be about 7%, it's now lower.

Are you actually interested in trying to fix yours ? Twice it's been suggested that you use Mission Control to find out what the actual error code is and you've ignored that. The lights on the TCU are just a guide and give you a starting point - which is obviously better than nothing !

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018

View attachment 57269

View attachment 57271 View attachment 57272

Hi @syncro .

This thread got busy quickly! I checked our backend as your serial number was included on your screenshots, I can see multiple repeating instances of those two error codes I'm afraid. The messages are deliberately generic to the user as they are both related to the torque sensor inside the motor ("out of range" 32768 and "no ints" 4097, need to find out what that 2nd one means). We advise our retailers to replace if these repeat. A single instance is indeed usually cleared with a reset, however the likelihood here is that the torque sensor is damaged or you've somehow de-calibrated it during the belt replacement. As you've broken the warranty seal I don't have an immediate answer I'm afraid as to whether this is recoverable or not. Sorry. Will check with our engineering team and Brose to see if we have answers and report back, but I'm not hopeful.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
This thread got busy quickly! I checked our backend as your serial number was included on your screenshots, I can see multiple repeating instances of those two error codes I'm afraid. The messages are deliberately generic to the user as they are both related to the torque sensor inside the motor ("out of range" 32768 and "no ints" 4097, need to find out what that 2nd one means). We advise our retailers to replace if these repeat. A single instance is indeed usually cleared with a reset, however the likelihood here is that the torque sensor is damaged or you've somehow de-calibrated it during the belt replacement. As you've broken the warranty seal I don't have an immediate answer I'm afraid as to whether this is recoverable or not. Sorry. Will check with our engineering team and Brose to see if we have answers and report back, but I'm not hopeful.
I'm very grateful for your response, it will be very helpful to find out where the problem is .
New information about it will be welcome.

Is it possible to get the error correspondence table with your description?

Can you send me a PM? (I can explain more details about the situation)

Thanks a lot

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I'm very grateful for your response, it will be very helpful to find out where the problem is .
New information about it will be welcome.

Is it possible to get the error correspondence table with your description?

Can you send me a PM? (I can explain more details about the situation)

Thanks a lot
I have torque sensors if you want to try one? Email me [email protected] if I can be of help.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
You didn't mention the loctite in your "Brose S / Brose T Full Motor Overhaul" vid.
Do you use it for the Alu Motor, too? Or just for the S-Mag?
Thank you!
It is not really necessary on Brose S and T motors because the aluminium is soft and malleable, easy to punch and crimp the bearing in. Brose S-Mag is not possible because magnesium alloy is too hard and brittle. If I do an S-Mag video, I will mention it (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles