Roval Traverse rims pretty soft for these heavy bikes.

lamented

Oct 4, 2019
US
FYI this happened yesterday. I ride very rocky east coast USA and this hit should not have done this IMO. Lost most of the air on the hit (10psi held) Also looks like getting just a replacement rim is a bit tough and most times the full wheel set is only on offer. I am a bigger guy, 225lbs and the rear was at 24-25. I would have thought that this psi while lower than factory recommendation would fly. Certainly felt better. 2020 Comp (tubeless). Looks worse in person.

IMG_7265.jpg

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
That is a bummer. I have only seen two dings like that on Roval Wheels. One was on my bike and the other was on a customer’s bike.

In my case I hit a really jagged rock while casing a jump, which would have resulted in the same damage on any other wheel.

The customer told me he was “Just Riding Along” when he noticed his rear tire was losing air while riding not that hard with his kids, on a trail made of marshmallows and feathers.

But here’s the thing, if you bought your bike after mid September, your Roval wheels have a lifetime warranty. It’s called the “Shit Happens” warranty.

Even if you end up having to buy a replacement rim, the rim is available through any Specialized dealer. I just checked the service parts finder and it’s in stock. My shop keeps a couple of these in stock for just such an emergency because hey “Shit Happens”

Just the same I would leave out the part about not using the correct air pressure.

I would also invest in a set of Cushcore inserts and invest in someone else installing them.
The biggest issue we have seen with Roval Wheels is the rear hubs on the base and comp models coming loose. This is supposed to be corrected on the 2020 models and we haven’t had one of these come back as a warranty claim.

Last edited:

lamented

Oct 4, 2019
US
I had been thinking about cush core but it seemed expensive. Now not sow much when pricing Roval wheel sets! I managed to get it mostly back to straight with an adjustable wrench and a few whacks with a ball peen. Bough the Bike in early October, would you go through the dealer or call specialized directly if I tried a warranty claim for the rim? I also broke a corner of the motor cover off and was told I would have to buy a new one by my dealer.... about 250 miles on the 2020comp - 99% Trail.
IMG_7266.jpg

Last edited:

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Add me to the list of Cushcore as a must, I won't run a bike without them now not only does it save the rims it also helps the bike handle noticeably better.

lamented

Oct 4, 2019
US
FYI Talked to specialized - Rim Should be covered under the warranty!

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I had been thinking about cush core but it seemed expensive. Now not sow much when pricing Roval wheel sets! I managed to get it mostly back to straight with an adjustable wrench and a few whacks with a ball peen. Bough the Bike in early October, would you go through the dealer or call specialized directly if I tried a warranty claim for the rim? I also broke a corner of the motor cover off and was told I would have to buy a new one by my dealer.... about 250 miles on the 2020comp - 99% Trail.
View attachment 21905
If you bought it in October then you have the lifetime warranty. I would try a different dealer, this one sounds like he’s not interested in keeping his customers and staying in business.
If minor things like this are too much of hassle for him, then what happens if something big goes wrong? Like I don’t know; say a motor or a battery

I’d call Specialized customer care and have them refer you to a shop that actually gives a shit.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
FYI Talked to specialized - Rim Should be covered under the warranty! The motor cover - no.
Told you the wheel would be taken care of.
Well I can see how the motor cover thing wouldn’t happen, but it’s something my shop would replace for free with a minor charge for the labor.
My work here is done. Time for actual work now.
3B607B05-754D-4B18-B7AF-CB1E9804EBD9.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I bought my Comp in April...warranty says wheels and frame have lifetime warranty so not sure why you say from September. That said I would not be riding rocky ground with anything below 30psi and I only weight 77kg. The rims are ally...no ally rim will escape damage if grounded out on rock. I rode incredibly craggy rock over Cut Gate in the Peak district....30 psi front 35 rear running with tubes. No punctures no damage.

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
Add me to the list of Cushcore as a must, I won't run a bike without them now not only does it save the rims it also helps the bike handle noticeably better.
cushcore a definite especially if your pushing the weight more than 85kg+ bits rider

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
At 125kg/275lb I'm running Cushcore front and back and using BLCK DMND casing on the rear. One flat from a burped tyre in 3000km, no rim damage at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles