Routing new rear brake line

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Does anyone know if the in-frame tube that routes rear brake goes through to exit? I want to swap brakes but do not want to get caught in a situation where I have to drop motor to route new brakes line.

Any tips on this before I begin?

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Drop the battery first and its a relatively small distance to go. All the cables are clamped below the battery .. making its removal a must.

I have run a few over the years (just did my wife's e-bike last week … giant bike though .. but same setup).

Since you have to remove the caliper … and need to do a re-bleed anyway, I would suggest that after the caliper is removed … insert a cable (ie spare shifter cable) well up inside the brake hose at least 16" or more up the line.

Then pull the old brake line through the decoy (over the motor)and through with the cable inside … you now have a cable guide to route your new brake line back down and overtop of the motor. Insert the cable into your new brake line and reverse the sequence. The cable will help "steer" the new brake line the proper direction without getting "hung up".

Hope this makes sense (y)

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
It does make sense and for sure I’ll drop battery but at least with the seatpost Routing tube on yt decoy (the tube that you feed Lines though) doesn’t continue past the motor, this is why I’m trying to figure out if the brake line tube continues out through back. If it doesn’t then even pulling it through like you described would be hard because it’s not a straight shot.

it’s kind of a weak point so far with this bike. I would have preferred externally routines brake cable.. so much easier.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Realized I should just call yt.. they answered on first ring and said it’s guided all the way through, so shouldn’t be an issue like seat post. Totally forgot you can call for support!! Lol

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
I fitted goodbridge hoses on mine and it was a bit of a pain, As you say its not a straight path through and took a lot of lube and wiggling but got there in the end.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I fitted goodbridge hoses on mine and it was a bit of a pain, As you say its not a straight path through and took a lot of lube and wiggling but got there in the end.
so is it guided all the way through, a solid tube, like yt says or not? Confused now

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
so is it guided all the way through, a solid tube, like yt says or not? Confused now
yes it is guided but its still a little fiddly and awkwardly positioned. the braided hose i used was thick in diameter if id of used an thinner hose it would of been much easier

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles