Routing a dropper post cable.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Has anyone replace their dropper post cable or rerouted a new internal cable Jam2 or Sam2? Thinking about getting rid of the rockshox Reverb and going with something else. Just don't know how hard it would be to route the cable.

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
Yep, had my dealer upgrade my dropper and he had to drop the motor to get it out. The other problem he found was that the original cable was 'pinched' as well & had a permanent kink in the cable sheath (which was another reason to replace the original).

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Yep, had my dealer upgrade my dropper and he had to drop the motor to get it out. The other problem he found was that the original cable was 'pinched' as well & had a permanent kink in the cable sheath (which was another reason to replace the original).

Well that's not good. I might just go with a Rockshox axs Reverb wireless dropper and be done with the cable all together.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Just have a look first, usually you can thread a pre bent piece of wire to get around the corner and pull the new cable through. I didn't drop the motor on my last bike, the online walkthrough said I had to. Should you have to drop the motor then torque settings are available online. Just start taking it apart so you can see whether there is room enough. Even of you don't manage it, you will learn something else while your at it

Setter

Jan 16, 2018
Sweden
You do not have to remove the motor, it is enough to remove the shield on the underside of the motor which is fitted with four screws.
It is no problem to take down the engine. Loosen the cables and unscrew the six bolts.
thumbnail (2).jpg

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
You do not have to remove the motor, it is enough to remove the shield on the underside of the motor which is fitted with four screws.
It is no problem to take down the engine. Loosen the cables and unscrew the six bolts. View attachment 27801
Yes I agree. I've had my motor and battery out of my CF frame since I replaced the frame (under warranty for decal cracking). The dropper post cable runs at the bottom of the battery in the picture above separate from the the other cables that run above the battery and are zip tied in to the frame above the motor. It should move freely. It then passes under the motor above that skid plate. So if you remove the plate you should see the dropper cable and determine that it can be easily pulled without dropping the motor.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Not sure if this helps, I've changed my dropper post lever and pulled the new cable through the existing sleeve, and I'm definitely no expert on this stuff...

simtee

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
I am planning change my rear rear derailleur cable as I think it is not moving as freely as it should. Do you know if cable has housing all the way from gear lever to derailleur? I was thinking I could just remove the old cable and install a new one to existing housing without e.g. dropping the motor.

Thanks!

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I am planning change my rear rear derailleur cable as I think it is not moving as freely as it should. Do you know if cable has housing all the way from gear lever to derailleur? I was thinking I could just remove the old cable and install a new one to existing housing without e.g. dropping the motor.

Thanks!

As far as I know it does, I've changed my gears from Sram to Shimano and used the same sleeve.

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
Dropper post cable is full length outer. Rear mech cable is full length outer. The dropper cable can be done without dropping the motor, but the gear cable can't as it runs over the top of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles