roof rack question

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
So I have to carry 3 bikes next week, my normal rack on the hitch is only for 2 bikes so I bought a thule proride roof carrier. My son's acoustic will go up there. problem is that I have a BMW X1 and the crossbars are a bit too big for the clamps that hold the rack, the bolts would have to be about 1/4 inch longer. Thule just says their racks are not designed for the X1 crossbars. I am thinking two solutions. The bolts are T bolts so I cannot just buy extra longer bolts, but I found longer bolts and the slugs with a threaded hole in the middle so I could put a slug on the bolt to make it in to a T-bolt, the slug is a bit wider then the T on the normal bolt but the slug seems to sit well in the intended area of the clamp. The other idea is to use the stock bolt and not use the top part of the bolt that locks it down and just use a nut with a large washer and manually tighten it down.
anyone try anything like this ?
this link shows the exploded view
parts 10 9 and 7 are the ones, part 15 is the slug I am talking about. The bolt 10 sits in the front recess of part 9 and goes up and threads in to one of the (15) slugs in part 7, then that gets flipped down to tighten it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles