Roof rack for ebike

blackforrest

Jun 16, 2020
germany
Hello all. I’m looking to buy a roof rack to transport my ebikes anyone know of any good ones? All the ones I’ve found have like a max load of 20kg.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the Yakima Highroad, great bit of kit and no issues - my car is pretty low though which makes getting the bike on and off a lot easier. I did quite a lot of research before pulling the trigger, and if nothing else its a lot "beefier" than anything else on the market which gives me more confidence in it.

My bike is a tad over 20kg with the battery out, and I have a cover I got off amazon for the battery mount.

The rack itself is a doddle to fit and remove. , and comes fully assembled.

When putting the bike up I put a rubber pad (one of the ones you put on a garage floor) just behind the rear roof rail, and I lift the bike up, putting the front wheel in place but resting the back on the rubber pad on the roof, once the front is secure I lift the rear wheel into place. Its a lot easier doing it this way with the weight of the bikes. To take the bike off I just do the reverse.

You cant hear or really notice any difference when driving around with the rack on and folded down when not in use. I went with Cruz aero bars because they where the lowest profile ones I could find for my car, minimising the height you have to lift the bike.

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 15.26.34.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 15.28.15.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 15.28.29.png

Last edited:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Oh wow ? your car is a work of art. I’m looking for one of them myself currently. Was thinking of putting the bike in the back wheels off.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The reason I got it is that you can fit the bike with the front wheel off easily in the back with the seats down, but if I am going biking with my kids I need the rack as I put their bikes in the boot.

My wife has an E-Class estate and I can put the bike in the boot with the seats down without taking the wheels off, but I need a car for my work, and wanted an estate, but small as I drive up to London a lot and parking is always an issue.

I got a great deal on it as someone had bought it just as lock down started, but then pulled out, so I went to the garage the day they reopened and did a deal - I have liked them for a while as they drive more like a hot hatch with a bigger boot than an estate, but they are expensive for what they are so never followed though on interest, however I got about 4k off what they had wanted for it pre lockdown, so went for it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah we did the opposite and went from a C to an E last year - annoying they no longer do the CLS shooting brake, loved them.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, but I haven't and wouldn't use it if I though the winds where dangerous - to be clear though I use it on relatively short journeys, never been cross continent or further than 100 miles with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles