Rohloff Speedhub Conversion - Specialized Levo Expert

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Gold Coast, Qld Australia
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been watching EMTB reviews and reading the forum comments for a little while now. I just bought my first ebike, a new 2019 Turbo Levo Expert a few weeks back and I absolutely love it. I am also the Rohloff distributor for Australia... so after listening to and feeling some of the gear changes with the derailleur on an emtb (and I am a competent shifter), I decided to do a little personal "conversion" project.

I called the project, Project Lero (Levo-Rohloff). Only fitted the Rohloff last Friday, tested it Saturday and Sunday on two trail terrains (one rocky/loose, the other hard packed flowy single track - both dry). I also upgraded the rims to 32-hole DT Swiss HX531 and added a DT Swiss 350 Hybrid boost front hub... add the Rohloff to the rear wheel, remove the trigger shift/cassette/derailleur and it is exactly 23kg (1.5kg heavier). So far there is certainly no disadvantage... single chain line, clean and quiet and easy to shift with 14-speeds, a twist shift and 526% gear range. Left the 32T steel sprocket on the front and have a 16T steel rear sprocket on the Rohloff at the rear. Added another 10psi to the rear shock, left the forks the same and it's as fast and as balanced as it was with the derailleur at 21.5kg. I'm 61, but still ride pretty quick and from what I can see over a number of trail sections recorded on Strava… it is either the same time or maybe a little quicker.

Have a look at the video, it shows more than I can describe.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been watching EMTB reviews and reading the forum comments for a little while now. I just bought my first ebike, a new 2019 Turbo Levo Expert a few weeks back and I absolutely love it. I am also the Rohloff distributor for Australia... so after listening to and feeling some of the gear changes with the derailleur on an emtb (and I am a competent shifter), I decided to do a little personal "conversion" project.

I called the project, Project Lero (Levo-Rohloff). Only fitted the Rohloff last Friday, tested it Saturday and Sunday on two trail terrains (one rocky/loose, the other hard packed flowy single track - both dry). I also upgraded the rims to 32-hole DT Swiss HX531 and added a DT Swiss 350 Hybrid boost front hub... add the Rohloff to the rear wheel, remove the trigger shift/cassette/derailleur and it is exactly 23kg (1.5kg heavier). So far there is certainly no disadvantage... single chain line, clean and quiet and easy to shift with 14-speeds, a twist shift and 526% gear range. Left the 32T steel sprocket on the front and have a 16T steel rear sprocket on the Rohloff at the rear. Added another 10psi to the rear shock, left the forks the same and it's as fast and as balanced as it was with the derailleur at 21.5kg. I'm 61, but still ride pretty quick and from what I can see over a number of trail sections recorded on Strava… it is either the same time or maybe a little quicker.

Have a look at the video, it shows more than I can describe.

Great to see another option out there to possibly consider (y)

kemp990

Oct 19, 2018
Seoul, South Korea
nice to see someone has exactly same thought as myself, and he actually made it happened.
I am just wondering two things.

1. how did you manage with a magnet on rolroff hub which only has 4 rotor holes?
2. is it possible to use internal routine for those rolroff's extra cables?
alloy levo has a bit more room for internal cable holes than carbon models, I just wonder if is possible or not.

Please keep testing your ride and let us know.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Why does Rohloff use a 9-speed chain?

For maximum durability, particularly for mid-drive e-bike, one would expect Rohloff to use a 1/8" standard chain. Like that used on BMX or other fixed gear bicycles.

Rohloff do not make chains anymore, you can no longer buy them. Rohloff started in 1986 manufacturing a very high-quality chain, the Speedhub followed later. Tour de France riders were continually breaking chains until Rohloff produced the S-L-T 99 chain. I happen to have a small number of Rohloff S-L-T 99 chains left for my personal use - the only ones I have are 9-speed. Never broken a Rohloff chain in the 14 years I have been using them... and they last twice as long. That's why I have fitted a 9-speed on this bike (it's 1/2" x 3/32).

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Wow... is that 1.5kg of extra unsprung weight! That’s a lot of weight in the wrong place.

Actually the 1.5kg is a total of all the mods/upgrade I’ve done to my Levo, including weighing with pedals. Hadn’t checked that before... but confirmed, the bike is 23.00kg.

Where’s the additional weight:
1. Front wheel: 0.2kg
2. Rear wheel: 0.9kg
3. Twistshift plus 2 cables: 0.1kg
4. Derailleur plus chain: 0.2kg (lighter)
Total Rohloff conversion is 1.0kg.

So it’s actually 1.0kg heavier with the Rohloff conversion. My mistake on the 1.5 as I hadn’t weighed the bike with pedals, SDG saddle, grips and quadlock.

Back to your point, yes there’s 0.9kg additional unsprung weight on the rear. I did add 10psi to the rear shock and my only comment after two days of some pretty serious testing is that I could not detect any noticeable difference in handling. The balance actually feels better in the air and racing against the clock around 4 trail sections I was 1-2 seconds slower on 2, and 8-10 secs quicker on 2 longer trails.

Summarising all that... I feel the bike handles as well as it did with the derailleur and against the clock there was no disadvantage.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Noticeably quieter. What's the actual cost.....

The overall cost was around $2,100 (US$1,500), excluding my front and rear rim upgrade. And no labour costs, as I did the conversion myself. Not cheap... but it’s bullet proof and I’m confident my only annual drivetrain cost will be a $20 oil change. From what I read and what I’ve have heard from other eMtb’ers... derailleurs, cassettes, chains and chain rings are being replaced more regularly than on a non-eMtb.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I reckon I spend around $600 a year on driveline upkeep. So it would take at least 3 years to recoup initial cost. Would keep the hub for further bike purchases and it would work much nicer out on trail and be more reliable. It has merit for sure.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
The Nicolai EBOXX E14 use the Rohloff

EBOXX E14 • Nicolai Bicycles

I went very close to buying the Nicolai EBOXX E14 - the final 3 were the Nicolai EBOXX, Specialized Levo and the Thok. I was in the process of organising the purchase with Nicolai, but in the end, I couldn't physically test ride one which was too big an unknown, and from what I could see/read/feedback... it is more of a serious downhiller (extremely stable), rather than more of an all-round mtb. Whilst I fitted a Rohloff to my Levo Expert (and I am the Rohloff national distributor), the bike I purchased was for myself... not for my company or Rohloff. I love mtb riding and ended up buying something that suited me personally.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, I think if I wanted a Rohloff I would have taken your approach over the Nicolai

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
I reckon I spend around $600 a year on driveline upkeep. So it would take at least 3 years to recoup initial cost. Would keep the hub for further bike purchases and it would work much nicer out on trail and be more reliable. It has merit for sure.

The Rohloff is both a significant investment and a revered cycling product. It is not for everyone due to price and weight, but I just love the simplicity of the drivetrain and how it works... and keeps on working. And yes, many (probably most) Rohloff owners transfer their Rohloffs from bike to bike. There are some Speedhubs that have done over 300,000kms.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I do like the controller for the Rohloff on the Nicolai

EBOXX_2019_Rohloff-1120x1120.jpg

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
I do like the controller for the Rohloff on the Nicolai

View attachment 12837
Gates carbon belt drive, beautifully and neatly tensioned belt and the shifting is integrated in with the Bosch motor. Although the Bosch is an older design and does not disengage over the 25kph cut-off… therefore you a not only pedalling (pushing) 27kgs of bike, but also some motor resistance added in. The future is all the more exciting!

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hi Paul.
How is Project Lero going? Any updates you can share?
Thanks.
All going very well... see this post about chain and sprocket wear I posted a 2 weeks back. Raced a few races now, 2 out of 2 wins in the SE Queensland xc series, and a second last week in the Bayview Blast, which was a 25km lap around 90% single track. I am still pushing hard out on the trails to keep the testing real (nearly 50 KOMs on various local trails... rocky, hardpack, flat, steep, wet, dry etc to back up the aggressive testing). But all good, no issues and wear so far is not really measurable.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hi Paul.
How is Project Lero going? Any updates you can share?
Thanks.

Also completed the internal cabling... initially I ran the cables externally during the first part of the testing and trials, but I have now tidied that up. That has worked well too - no issues to date, neat tidy and no rubbing or noise.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I would like to follow your lead Paul. I really like the idea of the Rohloff hub :)

I've got a few things on my plate right now, but I would like to visit you one day in the near future to get properly informed. I live in Brisbane.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
I would like to follow your lead Paul. I really like the idea of the Rohloff hub :)

I've got a few things on my plate right now, but I would like to visit you one day in the near future to get properly informed. I live in Brisbane.

Welcome to come down to the Gold Coast or meet up for a ride. Doing a Merida E160 E900 today and meeting another guy next Saturday at Daisy Hills for a test ride and look/understand more about the conversion. Both with eMtbs and both want Rohloff conversion... well the Merida is happening now. Cheers Paul. 0452-339289.

SleepyWill

Jun 19, 2019
Chichester
Hi Paul, I've got a 2019 Levo and I'm going to ride it until the stock wheels/transmission give up the ghost, meanwhile build up my dream replacements - a Rohloff setup. Would you give me the real idiots guide as to what I need to buy and do, what I don't need but is optional and whether an inexperienced person at working on a bike would be able to do this.

Some specific questions I have:

If I were looking at the DT Swiss 1700 wheels as a base, I could get the 1900 rear as the only difference would be removed to make way for the Rohloff hub?

Will the DT Swiss 1700/1900 wheels be tough enough to take a 110ish kg rider (I know, long story) with a Rohloff system?

What spares would be advisable to have at home/carry out with me?

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hi Paul, I've got a 2019 Levo and I'm going to ride it until the stock wheels/transmission give up the ghost, meanwhile build up my dream replacements - a Rohloff setup. Would you give me the real idiots guide as to what I need to buy and do, what I don't need but is optional and whether an inexperienced person at working on a bike would be able to do this.

Some specific questions I have:

If I were looking at the DT Swiss 1700 wheels as a base, I could get the 1900 rear as the only difference would be removed to make way for the Rohloff hub?

Will the DT Swiss 1700/1900 wheels be tough enough to take a 110ish kg rider (I know, long story) with a Rohloff system?

What spares would be advisable to have at home/carry out with me?

The rims need to be either 32 or 36 hole... they are the only two options available with a Rohloff Speedhub. 110kg generally not an issue, the Rohloff has larger diameter and symmetrical flange hubs which makes it much stronger than other hubs (equivalent to a 40+ spoked wheel). The other questions/answers would be better answered on email so i can send you photos etc. My email is [email protected]. Cheers Paul. .

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
The rims need to be either 32 or 36 hole... they are the only two options available with a Rohloff Speedhub. 110kg generally not an issue, the Rohloff has larger diameter and symmetrical flange hubs which makes it much stronger than other hubs (equivalent to a 40+ spoked wheel). The other questions/answers would be better answered on email so i can send you photos etc. My email is [email protected]. Cheers Paul. .

Hi Paul - I (and, I'm sure, others) would be interested in the details of this conversion on your Levo. I appreciate your desire to offer information via email, but additional photos and problems/solutions on custom builds are always interesting reading - please consider posting for all!

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hello Paul.

And how did the Merida E160 E900 conversion go?

Went very well... excellent. Link here and I also posted it in the Merida Forum page here at emtbforums. Ended up a very easy conversion without modification, internal cabling was a little tight but in the end with a little extra care and planning I got it nicely tucked inside and protected. Impressed with the E160 too... on the test ride I got myself a KOM on Strava on one of my favourite trails ?.

Cheers Paul.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Hi Paul - I (and, I'm sure, others) would be interested in the details of this conversion on your Levo. I appreciate your desire to offer information via email, but additional photos and problems/solutions on custom builds are always interesting reading - please consider posting for all!

Ok, will do in a couple of days. Travelling now and back home next two days. Cheers Paul.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles