Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay 2021

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
maybe - and its not right - but good luck finding bikes right now; out here on the west coast of bc the shops have nothing on the floors and any 2021 bikes that are arriving are pre-sold; although to your point there is a Norco shop here that has one or two e-bikes that I looked at a year ago and its I think just like you describe, they still expect full list despite there having been updates to the motor system they run. (amazingly it is what I understand to be a Norco corporate store) maybe that explains why they offer no sale price on the old model and just kept it at full list; although, a little weak to be in a corporate store and looking at new old stock for full price (intentionally not naming names)
Yup, strange times. Hard to predict but im not paying an extra 1100 over msrp or full msrp for old product. People will undoubtedly buy them . My search may be exhaustive but i think bikes will be found. Lots of $ floating around the lower mainland. Small interior shops might be a better bet. Im good atm but ive seen a few possibilities

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Yup, strange times. Hard to predict but im not paying an extra 1100 over msrp or full msrp for old product. People will undoubtedly buy them . My search may be exhaustive but i think bikes will be found. Lots of $ floating around the lower mainland. Small interior shops might be a better bet. Im good atm but ive seen a few possibilities
I hear you man; you shop like me!

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
I have a 2020 rocky altitude a70. Can’t comment on the instinct but the rocky dynamie motor is great I’ve had no issues at all in 1000miles. The iwocs are prone to break but I’ve had no issues with mine. The torque arms on the motor drive chain can snap if you have a had pedal strike. The motor is super quiet but there is a lot of chain noise due to all of the jockey wheels and chain tensioners
Ill echo that review - Ive got the hardtail growler and the drive unit (and the bike once all the parts were upgraded) is great; definately had a number of pedal strikes (the Chromag Daggas are the most awesome pedal ever made!) and no problem with the drive chain (that said, Im pretty light at under 150lbs; and have always rocked a hardtail; so I think despite my riding being aggressive I break a lot less stuff than someone even 30 lbs heavier). I wont even complain about the chain noise - my experience with it has been outstanding and I'm really attuned to that sort of thing - Ive passed other ebikes (probably last years shimanos) on climbs and the whir would drive me nuts!

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Ill echo that review - Ive got the hardtail growler and the drive unit (and the bike once all the parts were upgraded) is great; definately had a number of pedal strikes (the Chromag Daggas are the most awesome pedal ever made!) and no problem with the drive chain (that said, Im pretty light at under 150lbs; and have always rocked a hardtail; so I think despite my riding being aggressive I break a lot less stuff than someone even 30 lbs heavier). I wont even complain about the chain noise - my experience with it has been outstanding and I'm really attuned to that sort of thing - Ive passed other ebikes (probably last years shimanos) on climbs and the whir would drive me nuts!

Love it! OP is still eagerly expecting his 2021 Instinct BC C90 Powerplay in march 2021! Until then I’m Telemark skiing anyway to keep my legs at par.

Lots of fancy new bikes for 2021 since my preorder, but mostly Shimano motors, although some exotic new frame materials (Kellys) which will be interesting to follow the next years. And even though it seems the Instinct model name will disappear in 2021 (eaten by “New Altitude”) I’m really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Love it! OP is still eagerly expecting his 2021 Instinct BC C90 Powerplay in march 2021! Until then I’m Telemark skiing anyway to keep my legs at par.

Lots of fancy new bikes for 2021 since my preorder, but mostly Shimano motors, although some exotic new frame materials (Kellys) which will be interesting to follow the next years. And even though it seems the Instinct model name will disappear in 2021 (eaten by “New Altitude”) I’m really looking forward to it.
lol - the reason Im doing the deep dive on the SC is that Im looking for a new bike and bike availability is seriously lacking - I was hoping to hold off for the "New Altitude" of which you speak but don't think waiting is going to be wise because (1 - my battery; I suspect Im going to see a dramatic reduction in range over the next 4 mos or so; 2 - my body; I think I seriously need back on something to soak up more of the shocks to the joints; and 3 - Ive put a twist into my frame and who knows how that is going to turn out). The bike that I can get ahold of is the one your waiting for - but its probably more of a missel than I want or need for my trails (in particular the 29er aspect - Im just thinking its going to feel massive like a dh bike under me and I need something that I can get into the slow tech with for where I live. Dope bike tho' - we'll see - Ive already pretty much committed to purchasing it (a little sad I can't get my hands on an altitude - my first real mb was a '92 altitude in the Roo Red, Yo Yellow colour and I loved that bike - Im sentimental like that!)

Be sure to make a full report when you get your Instinct - super cool.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I’m actually expecting the coming BC C90 to feel slightly more agile than my current 2020 XL-sized Levo Comp. Shorter chainstay and a bit steeper. And my first Carbon frame ever which should feel a bit more stiff and “dead” (in a positive way I hope...). And I’m tall and use big frames so I don’t mind the 29” tires and am not super slim so the 38 fork should actually be put to good use.

But it “won” for me just marginally over what I initially ordered, the BC A70.

I hope you do come by a fair offer for a Rocky that fits you! After my first and only test-run on an Instinct Powerplay a year ago I feel it should get more attention internationally in the big Ebike magazines and YouTube channels. Although basic Altitude and Instinct Powerplays are actually pretty popular in Norway on account of a very good distributor I think, which also was early in serving rental operators.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Finally got the new Instinct BC C90 Powerplay !
IMG_0196.jpg

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
The only one in Norway. Now just hoping for warmer weather and final snow melting.

Not too impressed by the fact that my dealer had to change out the speed sensor after my first little test around the block, but seems good now.

It’s starting to get a little old school compared to the fact that even the Levo Gen3 got a tiny new display, and that the motor covers are the same and as big as they ever were, but I actually like it like that with the easily accessible cables and such and just two tiny leds. But Rocky’s app is still an unnecessary eyesore.

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Nice one, I really like the look of those bikes. It's a bit of a shame RM ceased production of the Altitude PowerPlay imo as the equivalent Instinct is more expensive - at least here in NZ. As for the speed sensor, mine's eaten three factory ones but since making my own up it has been fine.

JoeyMak

Jul 24, 2020
Northern California
Not too impressed by the fact that my dealer had to change out the speed sensor after my first little test around the block, but seems good now.

Congratulations on the new bike!!

My 2021 Instinct BC A50 (same color too) came with a defective speed sensor also. Not a great start because my dealer is 3 hours away. It took me a few rides of it cutting power every 30 seconds to figure it out (not fun on steep climbs) but Flatside saved the day.

Nice one, I really like the look of those bikes. It's a bit of a shame RM ceased production of the Altitude PowerPlay imo as the equivalent Instinct is more expensive - at least here in NZ. As for the speed sensor, mine's eaten three factory ones but since making my own up it has been fine.

I'd like to thank you Flatside, I read your post last year and was able to make my own sensor from scratch and it has been working flawlessly for a few hundred miles now. Saved me a 3 hour trip and was very rewarding when it worked!

Joe

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
@JoeyMak Glad you found it helpful.
I used this particular switch as was locally available RS PRO Reed Switch Cylindrical 90V, NO, 1A | RS Components
Bought a spare at the same time which is still in my leccytronics box. I made a housing using a material called Compact. It's basically a laminate-resin board used for shower/toilet cubicles etc. It can be cut and drilled easily and now if the sensor ever fails I can remove the broken one and slide a new one into the hole with a little silicon sealant as glue.

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Congratulations on the new bike!!

My 2021 Instinct BC A50 (same color too) came with a defective speed sensor also. Not a great start because my dealer is 3 hours away. It took me a few rides of it cutting power every 30 seconds to figure it out (not fun on steep climbs) but Flatside saved the day.

I'd like to thank you Flatside, I read your post last year and was able to make my own sensor from scratch and it has been working flawlessly for a few hundred miles now. Saved me a 3 hour trip and was very rewarding when it worked!

Joe

Thanks. Likewise! It’s a fun color scheme. I’m 45 and not the fastest downhill, so the attention it brings isn’t ideal, but who cares. Got tired of matte black everything.

But, what’s this about the speed sensors?! I don’t see how they are not tested more before being placed on expensive bikes. Although accessible and easy to replace.

My initial one also regularly abruptly cut power often without it making sense (Edit: stupid sentence, this is within 5 minutes). Luckily the dealer opened up a new speed sensor and changed it right there and then. He said it was always the speed sensor if anything didn’t work. Just one time a defective cell in a battery. Seems stupid of RM to accept such bad PR because of not checking such a cheap but central component.

I’ll save Flatside and your links for later hoping I won’t have to use them.

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hey amigos. The new powerplay is waiting for the supply chain work again, it’s already full developed. As soon all this covid movie ends they will be presented.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Hey amigos. The new powerplay is waiting for the supply chain work again, it’s already full developed. As soon all this covid movie ends they will be presented.

What’s new? Do you have anything concrete to share?

That’s actually bad news for me as my top 2021 Powerplay will plummet in value.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Got this confirmed now. A bit odd, but he could see in the pipeline only C90s getting the new Powerplay system incl new own app for 2022 and ready for preorder from July/August this year.

Maybe starting only with the top of the range because of supply chain issues?

Apparently “changing a lot of things in the next generation”.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Hopefully the new batteries will be backwards compatible with our 1st-gen bikes then. With winter finally arriving here, the cold is certainly having a detrimental effect on my 500W/h, 10k km one. I think the range is down to sub 30km on a cold trail ride now, and that's using mostly Eco-40%. Still, if constructing my own pack in the future is necessary it won't be the end of the world.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Hopefully the new batteries will be backwards compatible with our 1st-gen bikes then. With winter finally arriving here, the cold is certainly having a detrimental effect on my 500W/h, 10k km one. I think the range is down to sub 30km on a cold trail ride now, and that's using mostly Eco-40%. Still, if constructing my own pack in the future is necessary it won't be the end of the world.

Does heat have the opposite effect? Had a long ride today on the hottest day this summer in Southern Norway (30+ °C) and although I reduced eco to 30% on the ferry over to where I was riding and planning a long day on the bike, I was very surprised I had 40% left at my house again after 64km of mostly eco but also quite a few steep parts of trails in “sport”/middle mode.

I see no reason the form of the battery will change, neither the 48V system, the connector (and communication) might though and probably the capacity. Would be swell if new Powerplays could use old batteries too and vice versa through fallbacks in firmware of both new motors and new batteries (latter with adapter connector if necessary).

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Hot summer days make no difference that I've experienced, except the motor gets toasty on a long, steep uphill drag. Only cold (below 5C), where range drops noticeably. I messed about with power settings early on in ownership, but now just leave them as factory- 40, 60, 100% assist. There's nowhere around here that doesn't involve steep hills as part of any ride out.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I’m in one of the few relatively less steep places in southern Norway, but the main reason for increasingly dialing the levels down is training effect. I started emtb-ing for a fun way to get in better shape and when I get in slightly better shape I am used to a certain resistance and speed on my training trails. I have slowly dialled down eco and sport mode and get increasingly better range. But there’s always still turbo for emergencies or adrenaline needs. Other rides are just for a fun day out and I might go for factory settings, or not ride in eco at all, depending on the range I am after.

Of course, the backside to this, as you might have noticed, is that changing levels back and forth make it harder for my muscle memory to quickly choose which gear and mode one should use on a new trail. So I might start clinging to certain levels now and just ride faster instead of longer to get my technical side up to speed.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Got this confirmed now. A bit odd, but he could see in the pipeline only C90s getting the new Powerplay system incl new own app for 2022 and ready for preorder from July/August this year.

Maybe starting only with the top of the range because of supply chain issues?

Apparently “changing a lot of things in the next generation”.

Rumour update: Instinct Powerplay BC Edition is out the window and it’s just New Altitude Powerplay that comes in one Powerplay-updated top model for 2022. With a 722Wh battery.

Oh, and there’s a small display on the top tube.

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
…. Apparently that was inaccurate. “BC” is out the window, but there will be both Instinct PP and Altitude PP with latest geo and new PP system. “Rally” edition instead. Top models relatively likely more “available” due to Covid.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles