Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
What water battle cages fit on the power play, I tried putting one on I had laying around and it doesn’t sit flat due to the shape of the carbon.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
What water battle cages fit on the power play, I tried putting one on I had laying around and it doesn’t sit flat due to the shape of the carbon.
I've got a Giant brand side entry cage on my C50, a composite one. Fits snugly, does what it said on the tin.

Last edited:

crea2k

Aug 2, 2019
uk
2020 Altitude is just introduction of new colour and slight tweak to spec.
Iv got the tuningtool and the 2019 altitude powerplay. Didn’t like the idea of buying a bike that was purposely sanitised, so got the tuning tool to give me what I paid for.
The bike is brilliant without it and climbs like a mountain goat, it’s just if you’re trying to get a run in to some jumps and really give it some speed to get air or keeping up with non ebikers on the flat the limit can hold you back, was annoying more than anything, as it would just yank the power at the limit. Now it feels a lot more natural when riding on the flats etc.
You can turn the torque up etc too which makes it a bit more perky on the hills.
If you look at the motor manufacturers website the motor is rated for much higher than what they run it at, so you can tweak it with the tool.
The bike rides really nicely, have tried other ebikes and they feel pretty heavy, this just feels like a regular bike, really loving it so far and only had it a couple of weeks.

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
Iv got the tuningtool and the 2019 altitude powerplay. Didn’t like the idea of buying a bike that was purposely sanitised, so got the tuning tool to give me what I paid for.
The bike is brilliant without it and climbs like a mountain goat, it’s just if you’re trying to get a run in to some jumps and really give it some speed to get air or keeping up with non ebikers on the flat the limit can hold you back, was annoying more than anything, as it would just yank the power at the limit. Now it feels a lot more natural when riding on the flats etc.
You can turn the torque up etc too which makes it a bit more perky on the hills.
If you look at the motor manufacturers website the motor is rated for much higher than what they run it at, so you can tweak it with the tool.
The bike rides really nicely, have tried other ebikes and they feel pretty heavy, this just feels like a regular bike, really loving it so far and only had it a couple of weeks.

Great feedback thanks crea2k! I just want to turn the support up from 25kph to 32 as I had the Levo. Seems to be perfect balance for what I ride in Australia. I know there are a million variables but what are your average rides in eco getting, km ridden and meters climbed? There are some new epic trails just opening in a few months with about 45km ride and 1500m climbing that I hope the RM can do on one charge. Also how are you finding the motor / pulley noise? Apparently the new guide on the 2020 can be retrofitted to your bike and reduce noise by 90%.....

crea2k

Aug 2, 2019
uk
The bike isn’t that noisy to be honest, it just sounds like you have a dry chain all the time, but nothing major. That’s good to know about the chain guide, I didn’t realise they would fit. Iv not taken it on any long rides yet though so not sure on the actual range to be honest.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I tried one last weekend. I loved how it rode. Preferred it, in fact, to the Levo Comp Carbon I tried over the same route.
Interesting!! I’m ready to get my first emtb, and have a limited budget so looking at the 2018 RM 50 or the Levo Carbon Comp. Been testing the RM for the past 10 days and have fallen in love with it. Trying the Levo later this week, but almost ready to skip it and just go for the RM. It’s a great bike.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I got my C70.
Does any one know if it compatible with the Garmin 830, eg. To display the battery level.??
Don’t think so. But do you really need that with the four colors showing levels on the iWOK? I find that’s enough. Reality there are six since it has two levels that blink red when it gets very low, one slower then I think the faster kicks in when under 5%.

crea2k

Aug 2, 2019
uk
Don’t think so. But do you really need that with the four colors showing levels on the iWOK? I find that’s enough. Reality there are six since it has two levels that blink red when it gets very low, one slower then I think the faster kicks in when under 5%.
The Ebikemotion app pairs with the bike and you can see it all through that and adjust levels etc. Im pretty sure the ebikemotion has an apple watch app too that shows the battery level etc on it.

I like the way the iwoc vibrates when you change power level, as you can feel which one your'e in without having to look at it.
If you pair your bike with ebikemotion I know it reads out your current distance etc when you tap the iwoc power button. I'm not overly sure if it reads out your battery percentage too or not, as don't use the app that much. If it does though you should be able to put your phone in your pocket and tap the power button on the iwoc and it'll speak all of the info out on the phone.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The Ebikemotion app pairs with the bike and you can see it all through that and adjust levels etc. Im pretty sure the ebikemotion has an apple watch app too that shows the battery level etc on it.

I like the way the iwoc vibrates when you change power level, as you can feel which one your'e in without having to look at it.
If you pair your bike with ebikemotion I know it reads out your current distance etc when you tap the iwoc power button. I'm not overly sure if it reads out your battery percentage too or not, as don't use the app that much. If it does though you should be able to put your phone in your pocket and tap the power button on the iwoc and it'll speak all of the info out on the phone.
I have the Garmin 520 for distance, speed, vertical ascent etc, and have the Ebikemotion app on my phone. App does a great job of displaying information, changing mode settings, and can track rides (if I remember to hit start that is) etc. And even more info about the bike online at the website which is awesome. And you are right! I happen to have an Apple Watch and didn't notice until now, but the app did install on it. That's great to know! Will try it out on next ride to see if it is a quick way to read battery percentage. Thanks for that info!

Well, today should be the day. Decision time. Heading to the first shop I visited on my emtb quest. They have Specialized, Giant and Haibike. I put deposit on the last 2018 levo comp carbon they had on sale. Unfortunately the store is close by miles (12) but here in LA, not convenient at all for service. Can take 45 minutes to get there sometimes. And more unfortunately, they won't let me demo it as its the last in stock. Understandable.

My second stop was much closer dealer of Rocky Mountain. Just two miles from me. I was put off by the things I now love...you know...all the things unique to the Altitude. But the owner (Rob of Stotts in Burbank..used to be H&S), was incredible, basically giving me the RM PP Carbon 50 to take home these last 11 days. Done four rides on it (didn't want to take too much advantage of him) and fell in love. Guess the "puppy dog" close is working. And being a 2018 model, he's making me a Godfather offer...one I can't refuse.

Unless something totally unexpected happens, I'll be getting the deposit back and buying the Rocky Mountain. I'm sure the Levo is a great bike. Only demo I can get is the totally different 2019 Levo for $60. Then if I like it would have to spend $2,000 more than the RM to buy it. No way I can justify that. Be it fire roads, single track, technical, the Altitude climbs great, and just eats everything in its path downhill. And I dialed down the modes to 25%, 50%, 70% and battery life is amazing. I'll get home from 20+ mile ride with over 2,000' climbing with over 80% battery left.

After 30 years riding mtb's, these Emtb's are game changing. I rode my very high end Giant Trance this past weekend and couldn't believe how badly I wished I had pulled out the RM instead. I feel like I did in the 80's first time I went from road to mountain. I'll update when the final decision is made. Sorry for long post! I'm Excited!

You know, this site is awesome...best out there. But it should have a Rocky Mountain section. What gives???

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
OK about to pull the pin on a 2019 Altitude C70. Looks like one of the last Large bikes left in Australia and reduced by $3000 AUD. Seems I cant justify a 2020 bike now especially with the redesign of the chain guide on the RM. A dealer told me today that RM went through 12 different designs before they settled on the one they are bringing in for the 2020 model and can be retrofitted to 2019.

New Guide
new chain guide.PNG

Any advice before I go ahead?

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
OK about to pull the pin on a 2019 Altitude C70. Looks like one of the last Large bikes left in Australia and reduced by $3000 AUD. Seems I cant justify a 2020 bike now especially with the redesign of the chain guide on the RM. A dealer told me today that RM went through 12 different designs before they settled on the one they are bringing in for the 2020 model and can be retrofitted to 2019.

Any advice before I go ahead?
If you like it and have the means, do it ?
I love mine, 500km in 4 wks. Handles great and climbs tech stuff like a goat. Charge time is plenty fast and the charger is compact. The app is good and the bike's are all spec'd well. I use walk-mode daily on a particular track exit, very handy. Go for it.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I see the 2020 have a bit larger battery and different chain setup.
The 672Wh battery should retro-fit the earlier models (if you ever need to), and only the top chain guide is different, which also can be fitted to earlier bikes. Personally I like the sound the chain and associated guides make. It's only when-on-the-power and gives an audible note of how hard the motor's working.

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
Do you know if all the chain guides etc. on the 2019 model I suited for the xt12 speed? Or does it all need changing?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Do you know if all the chain guides etc. on the 2019 model I suited for the xt12 speed? Or does it all need changing?
Don't know sorry. What I do know is 11 speeds is plenty on my altitude for the hills we have and the more gears the higher the cost of replacement parts on 1x drivetrains. I would expect the 12 spd cassette would need a different freehub to the 11.

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Can an Altitude Powerplay owner tell me the length and stroke of rear shock it takes - I can't seem to find the info on their website or in any reviews. I'm hoping I can take my current coil shock off to fit on a 2020 Powerplay when they are released.

Thanks!
DrChris

If you like it and have the means, do it ?
I love mine, 500km in 4 wks. Handles great and climbs tech stuff like a goat. Charge time is plenty fast and the charger is compact. The app is good and the bike's are all spec'd well. I use walk-mode daily on a particular track exit, very handy. Go for it.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Seems like the Levo is bike of choice on this site, and I have been unable to find a review that includes both the RM Altitude and Spec Levo here, or anywhere else. Even tests with 10 or 12 bikes don't include one or the other. Since I've narrowed my choice to these two I rented a demo of both bikes on the same weekend, and was able to spend two days with them. I got a true feel for the two bikes. Will post a review in new thread if anyone is interested.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Can an Altitude Powerplay owner tell me the length and stroke of rear shock it takes - I can't seem to find the info on their website or in any reviews. I'm hoping I can take my current coil shock off to fit on a 2020 Powerplay when they are released.

Thanks!
DrChris
Measured on the bike, the shock eye 2 eye is 209mm with 55mm stroke. I'm just eyeballing that with a steel rule so could be +or- a little ?

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Brilliant, thanks! 210 x 55 mm is the same as my Commencal Metapower, so my coil shock will switch over perfectly to the Powerplay if I decide to go that way...

Measured on the bike, the shock eye 2 eye is 209mm with 55mm stroke. I'm just eyeballing that with a steel rule so could be +or- a little ?

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
Seems like the Levo is bike of choice on this site, and I have been unable to find a review that includes both the RM Altitude and Spec Levo here, or anywhere else. Even tests with 10 or 12 bikes don't include one or the other. Since I've narrowed my choice to these two I rented a demo of both bikes on the same weekend, and was able to spend two days with them. I got a true feel for the two bikes. Will post a review in new thread if anyone is interested.

Do it, do it, do it. Would read again if you post.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I am just starting to look at RM. What is the general feeling about reliability? about range? thanks.

Check out my comparison of the Levo and RM Altitude. But to quickly answer your question, I get great range on the 500 w/hr battery on the RM. The Levo was good too, and has an additional variable in settings that can swing it one way or the other. Too soon to say on reliability.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Check out my comparison of the Levo and RM Altitude. But to quickly answer your question, I get great range on the 500 w/hr battery on the RM. The Levo was good too, and has an additional variable in settings that can swing it one way or the other. Too soon to say on reliability.
I read your comparison and i looked their website. The short chainstay is attractive. I will try to demo one, thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles