Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Anyone got a dead side-on photo of an altitude powerplay in XL they can post? All the photos on the web seem to be large or medium. Thanks

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Anyone got a dead side-on photo of an altitude powerplay in XL they can post? All the photos on the web seem to be large or medium. Thanks

This is an XL posted earlier.

F351F78A-E4EA-4537-AF3F-048BDE88289E.jpeg

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
This is an XL posted earlier.

View attachment 14260
Thanks! Wow. As I feared that seat tube is tall. Why oh why do they put a 2012 seat tube on a 2017 released bike?!? They’ve even made it taller than the non Ebike Altitude ?‍♂️

I’m 6’1 and large feels small, but I’m a bit worried an XL is going to mean the reach is bang on but I can only run a 125mm dropper ?‍♂️

How tall are you / whays your inseam (if this is your bike?)

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Thanks! Wow. As I feared that seat tube is tall. Why oh why do they put a 2012 seat tube on a 2017 released bike?!? They’ve even made it taller than the non Ebike Altitude ?‍♂️

I’m 6’1 and large feels small, but I’m a bit worried an XL is going to mean the reach is bang on but I can only run a 125mm dropper ?‍♂️

How tall are you / whays your inseam (if this is your bike?)

Not mine. Wish it was!

The fello who posted the pics is towards the end of the first page of this thread. Maybe reach out to him directly.

I’m 6’ 1” and prefer a smaller bike with a longer stem. Gives me a more nimble and playful ride. This trend for stretched out bikes alludes me.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Not mine. Wish it was!

The fello who posted the pics is towards the end of the first page of this thread. Maybe reach out to him directly.

I’m 6’ 1” and prefer a smaller bike with a longer stem. Gives me a more nimble and playful ride. This trend for stretched out bikes alludes me.
If it feels too small then I just don’t feel as confident. I fear I’m going to be stuck in the middle. One option is to go for a Large, run the flip chip in mode 7 or 8 to extend the reach, but then run a -1 or -1.5 angleset to make it slack again and increase the wheelbase a touch. But it feels like if I feel the need to hack a bike before I’ve even bought it its the wrong bike for me. Shame its the only emtb with short chainstays ?‍♂️ Urgh

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Thanks, I wasn’t aware. Its really expensive for what it is though and very ugly, but the geo looks pretty good. Swings and round abouts...

I tried one last weekend. I loved how it rode. Preferred it, in fact, to the Levo Comp Carbon I tried over the same route.

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I’m quite intrigued with the Rocky motor system. Shimano is fine but the combination of short chainstays and instant high torque power delivery in the Rocky appeals more to me. I’ll be attending a demo day in NY state in a few weeks to find out if it’s all that and a bag of chips. ;-)

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I tried one last weekend. I loved how it rode. Preferred it, in fact, to the Levo Comp Carbon I tried over the same route.

Yea I bet it rides reallt nice. Geo is just like a normal enduro sled. Levo is high and long chainstays, I wouldn’t even bother demo-ing.

Altitude is 100% perfect if the seat tube was shorter! Compromises must be made ?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Shame its the only emtb with short chainstays ?‍♂️ Urgh
There's also the Canyon Spectral:On at 430mm. You may not consider that short but the Conway eWME is 435, 437mm for Pivot Shuttle, then there's a few at about 440mm, like the Merida e160.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
There's also the Canyon Spectral:On at 430mm. You may not consider that short but the Conway eWME is 435, 437mm for Pivot Shuttle, then there's a few at about 440mm, like the Merida e160.
Thanks for that. Yea looked at those but spectral on is a reverse mullet bike, and shuttle is uber expensive. Going up to 440mm, i wouod get the norco sight hands down.

Need to test ride an XL altitiude...

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Got my hands on a demo XL. Its big, but not toooo big. I’ll be able to use a 160mm revive dropper.

Took it down some step and techy off piste DH trails last night and today. Its still pretty chuckable and jumps very well for a 1240mm long ebike!

SOLD!

mbee123

Jun 5, 2019
Hartlepool
Hi, I've just bought an alloy altitude A50, really impressed with it, very powerful.

Is it possible to buy a spare/replacement battery for them does anyone know, I know it's not straight forward swapping them out but the bigger battery would be a nice upgrade in the future

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Going to take a Rocky Mountain Instinct or Powerplay for a Testing day next week. As an hardcore Specialized Levo Rider what can i await from the RM ?

j.

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
i was pumped to do the same this Sunday in NY state but got an email stating that they lost they’re driver and we’re canceling all upcoming demos in the N.E. area until a replacement was found.
:-(

Phantomtracer

Sep 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
I’m interested in hearing the differences with the levo. I suspect the Powerplay has more power, and better application of power. Not sure about the extra weight compared to levo. I feel the powerplay handles amazing but I have never ridden any other ebike.

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Bummed there isn’t more chatter on this thread. Specialized and YT seem to be getting all the hype. I’d love to hear more PowerPlay stoke. Ultimately would love more local dealers to get onboard.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Bummed there isn’t more chatter on this thread. Specialized and YT seem to be getting all the hype. I’d love to hear more PowerPlay stoke. Ultimately would love more local dealers to get onboard.

Yea Especially when its way better than the Levo with its long bargey chainstays. Small market share I guess.

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Short chainstays are my main interest in the RM. I love my Kenevo for most things but it’s a bear to get the front end up on top of the large rocks here in Massachusetts. The quicker response motor would help as well. Just wish I could test ride one before jumping ship and have close shop support nearby for issues.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Short chainstays are my main interest in the RM. I love my Kenevo for most things but it’s a bear to get the front end up on top of the large rocks here in Massachusetts. The quicker response motor would help as well. Just wish I could test ride one before jumping ship and have close shop support nearby for issues.

Size for Size they are pretty spot on. I’ve just sold my Kenevo size L and the Altitude L feels similar size. Its chalk and cheese to the Kenevo. Kenevo is plough and Altitude rides the opposite - very poppy and playful. You can jump of small features like a normal bike and it corners on a sixpence. Very confident in steep switchbacks.

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
How is it for manuals compared to your old Kenevo? I’d give up the extra travel for more a more technically inclined ride. So many rock features and tight trails here. I “make” my Kenevo work but it’s just that... “work”.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
How is it for manuals compared to your old Kenevo? I’d give up the extra travel for more a more technically inclined ride. So many rock features and tight trails here. I “make” my Kenevo work but it’s just that... “work”.

Much easier. Its the closest ebike to a normal
Bike I’ve tried. You forget you’re on an ebike pretty much. Unlike the kenevo where you really feel the weight when muscling the bike around the trail.

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
Hey RM guys, just sold my 2016 Levo that Ive had since new and keen to get on something new and more playful. Looks like the RM altitude powerplay fits the Geo bill. I do have some reservations though and hoping you guys can help.

1. I've derestricted the Levo to 32kph which is perfect for the trails I ride. 25kph is way too slow for me, can the 25kph limit be removed from the RM dyname 3 motor? Software or Hardware hack?

2. I currently get about 30-35km and 1000+m of climbing on my 460w Levo battery. I am looking to ride new trails opening soon that are 45km and 1300m of climbing, will the RM 630w battery scale against the Levo or is the dyname 3 motor hungrier than the Brose?

3. How is the power compared to the Brose? They advertise 108nm torque... does it really feel ~20% more powerful than the Brose?

4. Any idea when RM will be releasing 2020 models?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Hey RM guys, just sold my 2016 Levo that Ive had since new and keen to get on something new and more playful. Looks like the RM altitude powerplay fits the Geo bill. I do have some reservations though and hoping you guys can help.

1. I've derestricted the Levo to 32kph which is perfect for the trails I ride. 25kph is way too slow for me, can the 25kph limit be removed from the RM dyname 3 motor? Software or Hardware hack?

2. I currently get about 30-35km and 1000+m of climbing on my 460w Levo battery. I am looking to ride new trails opening soon that are 45km and 1300m of climbing, will the RM 630w battery scale against the Levo or is the dyname 3 motor hungrier than the Brose?

3. How is the power compared to the Brose? They advertise 108nm torque... does it really feel ~20% more powerful than the Brose?

4. Any idea when RM will be releasing 2020 models?

1. i’ve been told its possible and un-detectable once removed by a RM dealer. Don’t know more than that though

2. The 630 battery will be easily capable of that mileage and climbing

3. Feels a bit quicker than the kenevo

4. Any day now - mid july

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
1. i’ve been told its possible and un-detectable once removed by a RM dealer. Don’t know more than that though

2. The 630 battery will be easily capable of that mileage and climbing

3. Feels a bit quicker than the kenevo

4. Any day now - mid july

Yeah ok sounds good to me. Be interesting to see what they bring to the table for 2020. Exciting times for us eMTBers :)
Found this tool for tuning the Dyname motor MountainTuning Tool

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles