Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
I'm getting antsy to get out on dry trails on my PowerPlay! I work at a RM dealer, so we just got in a truckload of PowerPlays. I am going bonkers to get some dry ground again (mud season in the Black Hills of South Dakota). I've gotten a chance to ride these at the Dealer Camp in Phoenix, exciting bikes.

I've got dirt miles on various Giant, Kona, Focus and Specialized eMTBs and the PowerPlay is going to be my new rig for 2019. Naturally the parts swaps and upgrades are under way, using some wheels and bars and such that tend to migrate to a new bike, but I'll just utilize one of our Altitude C50 (2018 model, we bought demos from the Dealer Camp) demo bikes as "mine".

The 48v, torque sensor, real trail-bike geometry, lower motor rpm, well, there is just a lot going on that Bosch/Shimano/Yamaha/Brose do differently.

The pulley noise is heard on the repair stand, slightly on pavement, but disappears on trail. Standing trailside as 6-8 other dealers powered up a rugged trail, there was no discernible noise out of the motor or pulleys. It's just a chain guide system. These 2018 had whatever new pulleys installed already. Sounds like 2018 had a different placement on the chain stay and a different material.

Ride one on trail to see what you hear, I just don't pick it up. Maybe being 50+ is good, lots of rock music took out my hearing?

Phantomtracer

Sep 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have been riding the A70 model for the last month. It is awesome. It handles like a proper mt bike. Quick handling from side to side and has extra weight that helps it stick in corners. The only time I feel the weight is working against me is when bunny hopping. The noise from the pulleys is there but I do not find it distracting. The noise level varies depending on how much torque the motor is putting out. On flat sections you can’t hear it, on steep climbs you will hear the noise. It’s really not a big deal. I have the power levels cut down to 25/40/80. High power mode is crazy you will clear all tech sections with that! I ride tech singletrack so for me the bike has exceeded my expectations.

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
I have been riding the A70 model for the last month. It is awesome. It handles like a proper mt bike. Quick handling from side to side and has extra weight that helps it stick in corners. The only time I feel the weight is working against me is when bunny hopping. The noise from the pulleys is there but I do not find it distracting. The noise level varies depending on how much torque the motor is putting out. On flat sections you can’t hear it, on steep climbs you will hear the noise. It’s really not a big deal. I have the power levels cut down to 25/40/80. High power mode is crazy you will clear all tech sections with that! I ride tech singletrack so for me the bike has exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for the feedback.

So you can tune with an app from RM?

Any chance of screen shots or links to what you can see with the app please?

Phantomtracer

Sep 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the feedback.

So you can tune with an app from RM?

Any chance of screen shots or links to what you can see with the app please?

Yes, you Bluetooth to the bike with the phone app is called: Ebikemotion. I downloaded from the Apple App Store. It allows you to change the 3 power assist levels from 0 to 100. The app also can track your rides. I find it useful to check my exact battery percentage by hitting the voice button and my phone will speak the speed, battery percentage and altitude while I’m riding.

054B7109-1D5A-4071-A4AE-D71A7BC813F7.png

stebrusca

May 12, 2019
italy
Hi!
I’m Italian biker, my name is Stefano.
I’ve a Powerplay 70 customized with Magura MT7 180 + 180, carbon wheels from Powerplay 90 with Hans 2.35, Prologo Proxim saddle, RaceFace Next bar rise + 10 mm. I’m not downhiller...One question...if you can help me. Can you tell me where I can buy the powerplay engine chain online? can you tell me how many kilometers this chain needs to be changed?
Thanks! Best regards

5E29F08F-59B2-42A7-BBAB-14599005EAAB.jpeg

3EA696CB-F6B1-4CBB-8239-43852BDE6B4B.jpeg

AA4E46F6-778D-42C7-B087-CC44C9EB9FB5.jpeg

stebrusca

May 12, 2019
italy
[QUOTE = "Eddie10, post: 53322, membro: 1404"] . [/ QUOTE]
Ciao!
I've 2000 km. I have broken two torque arm in 1500 km (XT drivetrain). Now I have bought the new model...it's much more rigid, I had to increase the engine assistance percentages, first assistance 28%, before 20%.

Last edited:

Sushiman72

Sep 2, 2018
Québec,Canada
Hi!
Prologo Proxim saddle...created for ebike..read about it and saw it in a video of Sea Otter Bike Show in California. Can you give your appreciation about it? I'm interested to buy one. I would be happy to heard from real life experience! One saler discourage me to buy it because of the round shape of the saddle..I was told that I will found it very inconfortable...:unsure:

stebrusca

May 12, 2019
italy
Hi!
Prologo Proxim saddle...created for ebike..read about it and saw it in a video of Sea Otter Bike Show in California. Can you give your appreciation about it? I'm interested to buy one. I would be happy to heard from real life experience! One saler discourage me to buy it because of the round shape of the saddle..I was told that I will found it very inconfortable...:unsure:
I had the Dimension saddle on the XC bike. I mounted Proxim on this ebike and I feel very comfortable. One of the best ever. Moreover, it has a material that does not slide and on steep climbs it helps to stay in shape

5D7A7FE6-A3D9-427D-B632-B09545947CED.jpeg

stebrusca

May 12, 2019
italy
Stefano
Which exact upgrades have you done on drive train/motor to your 2018 Altitude?
Hi Renato.
I replaced the torque sensor lever with new model, it's stronger and I replaced the pulley connected to rear arm, now it's connected to engine. This generates less noise, really. Now I have XT drivetrain with Sunrace cassette 11/46 ( 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40-46). XT no good (28-32-37-46)

1A35C9A0-7846-4C17-ADA4-B553A18CE008.png

Last edited:

ReneRenato

Apr 21, 2019
Sweden
Hi Renato.
I replaced the torque sensor lever with new model, it's stronger and I replaced the pulley connected to rear arm, now it's connected to engine. This generates less noise, really. Now I have XT drivetrain with Sunrace cassette 11/46 ( 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40-46). XT no good (28-32-37-46)

View attachment 14178
Thanks for the fast feedback Stefano. Great to hear this upgrade resulted in such an improvement.
Were you able to get both upgrades, i.e. torque sensor and pulley from your Rocky dealer or how did you source.
Asking since I could get a good deal on a 2018 Altitude C50 but would like to know how much of an effort to get the upgrades.

stebrusca

May 12, 2019
italy

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles