Rockshox Yari socket size

Agamemnon

Nov 17, 2019
Florida
Thank you. At 4:20 ( giggle) in the video the guy says 24mm, and uses a socket.
I wonder if 24mm is the same size as my cassette, so it’ll be dual purpose....

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Sorry, got dragged away before I could finish. My 2017 model analogue has a Yari fork, with hex top caps that needed a 24 mm socket. The 2018 model had a fork with top caps that needed a standard cassette tool. If you are using a socket, I would grind it flat, most have an internal chamfer so it doesn't grip the very low hex protrusion on the top cap bvery well and, since they are pretty tight, it is very easy to round off this hex protrusion. To grind mine flat, I used a belt sander, actually for sharpening woodturning tools so it is nice and wide, hope that helps.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Building on what @KennyB said, when you use the socket make sure that you hold it down firmly onto the top cap and apply your torque slowly and carefully. There is not much depth to the alloy top cap and if you round it out you are screwed!

The fastening torque that I saw listed was 40Nm. Wow, that is a lot of torque, same as a BB! I was sure that I hadn't had to apply that much to release it, so I wasn't about to use that much to fasten it in case I damaged the top cap. I tightened it to what felt right and then monitored my fork pressure over the next few rides. I was slowly losing pressure, so I undid the top cap, re-greased the seal and then tightened it a little bit more. No further trouble.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Building on what @KennyB said, when you use the socket make sure that you hold it down firmly onto the top cap and apply your torque slowly and carefully. There is not much depth to the alloy top cap and if you round it out you are screwed!

The fastening torque that I saw listed was 40Nm. Wow, that is a lot of torque, same as a BB! I was sure that I hadn't had to apply that much to release it, so I wasn't about to use that much to fasten it in case I damaged the top cap. I tightened it to what felt right and then monitored my fork pressure over the next few rides. I was slowly losing pressure, so I undid the top cap, re-greased the seal and then tightened it a little bit more. No further trouble.
What Steve says makes complete sense. I do put that much torque (I think I may try reducing it a bit as Steve advises). To enable me to hold down the socket I place a broom handle between the fork legs and under my armpit to keep both hands free. For control I use a long breaker handle to loosen and a 1/2 in torque wrench to tighten. I think you can buy flat sockets by the way and Wolf Tooth make a flat ring spanner expressly for this job, epensive mind.

Agamemnon

Nov 17, 2019
Florida
Thanks all. I have a 24 mil socket; want to order a cassette tool anyway.....which cassette, have Shimano ...is there sizing?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is only one size of socket, but there are two types. One is a short body, which is fine for most of the cassettes. But there is also one with a longer splined body and a spike that was essential for one cassette I used (nope. can't remember for sure, 11-speed I think). The other has a short body and I use for for everything else, including fork top caps. The big one came from Fatspanner, the other is a genuine Shimano part.
Sockets 1.jpg

Sockets 2.jpg

Agamemnon

Nov 17, 2019
Florida
What would be the part number for a park tool. Or Shimano. That would work with my Haibike all mtn 20 and Yari please.....thanks

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton

Just checked , both my Yari and Lyrik manuals give 28Nm as the tightening torque.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just checked , both my Yari and Lyrik manuals give 28Nm as the tightening torque.
Good challenge! The figure I mentioned was a for a Rockshox Pike that came with a 2015 YT Capra. There is every reason to assume that a Pike would be the same as the Yari and the Lyric. I can no longer remember where I got the figure of 40Nm from. What I can remember is thinking wow that's the same as the BB! (which is 40Nm). So maybe the source I accessed, via the internet of course, was just plain wrong. But there was no way I was going to tighten that low profile alloy hex nut to 40Nm, - or 28Nm either for that matter! Common sense rules OK! (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles