RockShox Recon RL fork - creaking, popping

ebike17

Apr 13, 2020
Slovensko
I own the Focus JAM2 PLUS LTD 2018 e-bike and I have an unpleasant experience with a creaking fork. I can't figure it out, but I assume the internal composition of the damper. I will probably complain but I'm afraid it will take a long time to fix. What do you think you have no suggestion of what causes this? Watch the video of the ride and give the type.

Fork RockShox Recon RL
Focus ebike fork

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Could be anything, I’d take the fork off and clean and grease the headset bearings. Ensure everything is set at the correct torque.
When was the last time you performed a lower oil service?

ebike17

Apr 13, 2020
Slovensko
Ebike is new only has a few rides. The head composition doesn't do that. I had it broken down and it's okay. I will probably not allow the fork to be disassembled as long as it is under warranty.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Even if new, if its a 2018 it may have been sitting on a shop floor for 2 years. I would get the shop to have a look at it.

Timmarc

May 7, 2019
Folsom, California
It’s a known problem. My wife’s bike, just like yours, had the same problem. Under warranty, they added an o-ring to I believe the top cap. It was a simple fix with parts supplied by RockShox. The problem was completely resolved.

Timmarc

May 7, 2019
Folsom, California
I don’t think a it’s a problem, she put on 500 miles before it was repaired, it became increasingly unbearable. The o-ring simply isolates two internal components that barely touch.

ebike17

Apr 13, 2020
Slovensko
I made an adjustment to the o-rings, but I solved it partially. The fork seems to be about fine because the knock felt at the top of the frame at the head assembly. I suspect some loose object, bowden cable changer, brake or wiring. Noise, knocking always comes from shocks. Didn't you have a similar problem?

Timmarc

May 7, 2019
Folsom, California
I also performed another fix for a snapping noise near the headset. remove the handlebar stem, drop the fork, clean the stem and spacers, clean the outside of the sealed bearings top and bottom, apply a light coat of grease on all the metal parts that touch each other, and adjust it up. It seems that the noise occurs when the temperature changes, the bike is washed, or ridden in mud. I believe the problem is related to the dissimilar metals. The repair takes about 10 minutes, give it a try. I now do it every couple of weeks as maintenance.

ebike17

Apr 13, 2020
Slovensko
I seem to have solved the problem completely. The source of the knock sound was probably the cause of the misplaced power switch connector. The connector of the cable harness was supported and stretched on the inner frame where it caused noise during shocks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles