Rockrider E-st 900 changes upgrades

Gary Davis

Feb 13, 2021
Belgium
Hy, did you try to pass the cable inside the seat tube? I did it for my tail light fixed under the seat (just drilled on the tube to let the cable out to the light. Don't know if the existing hole in the frame (giving acces to the motor where I plugged my light) is large enough for the sheath. Other solution (really more expensive): wireless systems...
I think Bebiker explained to us with some images he had chosen a model with external cable.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
And then we got a branch between the wheel and the sensor -> sensor twisted down, propably breaking the sealed cable.
-Decathlon service: We will order it now, propably we receive it in 5 days and then you ...
-thank you sir I will get back to you ifI can't find it somewhere else.

20210425_104640.jpg

20210425_104747.jpg

20210426_141028.jpg

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
It wasn't the cable that was broken, but the inside of the sensor block that doesn't work anymore.
Instead of waiting 5 days (which always means +10days), let's do what McGyver would do:

Some cheapo Home-alarm magnet switch:
20210426_145915.jpg

A little fast test:
20210426_150235.jpg

works !
20210426_150319.jpg

Lets "integrate" the "solution"
20210426_151223.jpg

Under:
20210426_155625.jpg

Above:
20210426_155740.jpg

Test on the road !
20210426_162542.jpg

The test was 2.73km, so the "door" opened 1200 times,
not sure if this solution will last very long :)

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
An advise for other E-st900 riders: Remove the Torx that holds the sensor, and replace it with a normal (bottleholder) allen key M5

20210426_152321rs.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Davis

Feb 13, 2021
Belgium
@BeBiker Thanks again for your tips and I confirm that Mc Gyver is not dead ! It may not look very nice but I had already thought of protecting by taping the sensor and the wire with the frame together. By the way, my Bikespeed RS is working fine now. A simple loose connection. A huge difference !

Gary Davis

Feb 13, 2021
Belgium
@BeBiker By the way, did you get your pnw coast dropper post already ? To be honest I hesitate between the pnw because of the suspension which is not bad on a hardtail (I have a seatpost with spring suspension) and this one :
Not too expensive and has an offset of +/- 2 cm which moves the saddle 2 cm backwards. Not bad because of the quite short reach of the bike (even on L size).

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Finally I read a review of the pnw dropper post, that doesn't look sponsored.
The guy says it only works on hard impact, somewhat inpredictable, so I think I'm nog gonna buy it.

Gary Davis

Feb 13, 2021
Belgium
Finally I read a review of the pnw dropper post, that doesn't look sponsored.
The guy says it only works on hard impact, somewhat inpredictable, so I think I'm nog gonna buy it.
I'm pretty sure I read the same review. Theoretically, it's great. The best of both worlds but not so easy to materialize. I won't wait to long to buy the RFR pro before being out of stock.

Exprez

May 9, 2021
Sweden
Great work postning your progress Bebiker! Had major problems with the casette skipping on both the 11t and 13t replaced that and the chain ring with the 42t you tried yourself and it feels like a new bike. I use mine mainly as a commuter so also got some wide SKS mud guards and the fat rack for the kids.

20210507_194711.jpg

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Hey,

Thanks for sharing your modifications.
The rack and the mudguards make it completely trekking style, all it needs is an additional rack at the front.

I guess this is your spare battery, I don't see any stickers on it.

Gary Davis

Feb 13, 2021
Belgium
Great work postning your progress Bebiker! Had major problems with the casette skipping on both the 11t and 13t replaced that and the chain ring with the 42t you tried yourself and it feels like a new bike. I use mine mainly as a commuter so also got some wide SKS mud guards and the fat rack for the kids.

View attachment 61041
Great job. I suppose as BeBiker suggested that you put a longer chain because of 42t chainring. I hope you 're a tall man or at least that you have long legs because of your bottle mount position ?
The dilemma is being thirsty or become... a countertenor ! "I' ve made my decision" I drink at the pub ! ?

Last edited:

Exprez

May 9, 2021
Sweden
Great job. I suppose as BeBiker suggested that you put a longer chain because of 42t chainring. I hope you 're a tall man or at least that you have long legs because of your bottle mount position ?
The dilemma is being thirsty or become... a countertenor ! "I' ve made my decision" I drink at the pub ! ?

Cheers to that Gary :) I actually didn't replace the chain I was able to tweak it and utilise all the gears with the original chain +42t chain ring! Works a charm!
I do wish the bottle could be mounted somewhere else though!

Exprez

May 9, 2021
Sweden
Hey,

Thanks for sharing your modifications.
The rack and the mudguards make it completely trekking style, all it needs is an additional rack at the front.

I guess this is your spare battery, I don't see any stickers on it.

Thank you! Yeah it's a great commuter, gets me to and from work from the suburbs to Stockholm City through forests, mud, ice (with studded tires) in -20 degrees (32km...on one charge). I actually removed the sticker, I prefer the simplistic look.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
... I actually didn't replace the chain I was able to tweak it and utilise all the gears with the original chain +42t chain ring! Works a charm!
With the original chain mine passed in all gears too, but with the derailleur nearly completely pulled to the front and nearly no chain reserve.
I shared a pic in the first pages of this tread.

I'm not at all bike-mechanic, and considered this small reserve as: not enough.
Can you share us your tweak?

Exprez

May 9, 2021
Sweden
With the original chain mine passed in all gears too, but with the derailleur nearly completely pulled to the front and nearly no chain reserve.
I shared a pic in the first pages of this tread.

I'm not at all bike-mechanic, and considered this small reserve as: not enough.
Can you share us your tweak?

Ahh, I don't think mine has much reserve either but I figure if it is a problem I guess the chain will break and I can replace it. The tweak was nothing special, I just adjusted the B tension screw and limit screws.

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Ahh, I don't think mine has much reserve either but I figure if it is a problem I guess the chain will break and I can replace it. The tweak was nothing special, I just adjusted the B tension screw and limit screws.
Hang the frame upside down on the exact opposite side of the tube to where it is now. Mark the holes, then drill and tap the same size thread. Put a touch of etch primer in the new holes you have drilled with a modelling brush, although you could probably get away without doing this.
If you didn't want to drill new holes, I don't think the bottle cage would look out of place if it was neatly cable tied in the same position.

Gary Davis

Feb 13, 2021
Belgium

Glamavia

Jun 11, 2021
Bulgaria
Hello guys,
My e-st900 will be delivered in 5 days.
For family bikes i use Thule ProRide 598. Today i realized that maybe that bike will be impossible to fit the mid "arm" of that Thule.
Did you have a chance to test that bike rack or maybe share what do you use for travel? Also, is it possible to tell me the weight of the battery itself?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles