Rock Shox ZEB aftermarket upgrade, crown size

datonetti

Jun 9, 2020
Lodi, ca 95240
I want to replace the Lyrik with a ZEB on my Rail 9.8 XT. From what I gather, Rock Shox specs a unique fork crown for the Trek Rail to match the large head tube. I really like the looks of this and want to maintain the clean aesthetic. My LBS has not been able to confirm the availability of the Trek Rail fork crown from RS. Has anyone looked into this?

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
I want to replace the Lyrik with a ZEB on my Rail 9.8 XT. From what I gather, Rock Shox specs a unique fork crown for the Trek Rail to match the large head tube. I really like the looks of this and want to maintain the clean aesthetic. My LBS has not been able to confirm the availability of the Trek Rail fork crown from RS. Has anyone looked into this?
Following

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
It’s the EMTB specific crown they use for the Lyrik/Yari. If you take the fork off it just looks like a weird, massive step where the steerer tube is pressed in.

If RS make an E specific Zeb (not sure they do?)it is most likely to be OEM only, so actually buying one as a punter will be almost impossible.

Normal forks look fine on them though. I run an Ohlins on mine, doesn’t look odd.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
It’s the EMTB specific crown they use for the Lyrik/Yari. If you take the fork off it just looks like a weird, massive step where the steerer tube is pressed in.

If RS make an E specific Zeb (not sure they do?)it is most likely to be OEM only, so actually buying one as a punter will be almost impossible.

Normal forks look fine on them though. I run an Ohlins on mine, doesn’t look odd.
Makes sense. They sent me a Zeb Select+ which you can’t buy, only OEM.

pamartia

Jun 25, 2020
Walnut Creek, California

Can you please post a picture of the fork crown and the bottom of the frame?
Thanks

pamartia

Jun 25, 2020
Walnut Creek, California
I measured my Trek Rail frame to fork crown joint and compared it to my wife's Norco e-bike (Sight VLT 29) and my new Ripmo frame.
The Trek is ~70mm (~2 3/4 inches) the Norco and Ripmo are ~60mm (2 3/8 inches)
1608156873898.png

1608156919760.png

Can someone share their pictures of aftermarket forks on Rails?

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
As far as aftermarket E-MTB spec ZEB forks, I've only seen part numbers for the 29" chassis with 44mm offset and just the most basic Charger R version. As you likely already know, the "R" indicates it only has rebound adjustment for the damper. The top-level Charger 2.1 RC2 damper is available separately. That together with the entry-level fork and it would be just slightly more expensive than the standard crown ZEB Ultimate, not accounting for labor.

160mm travel - p/n: 00.4020.568.006
170mm travel - p/n: 00.4020.568.005
180mm travel - p/n: 00.4020.568.004
Changer 2.1 RC2 damper - p/n: 00.4318.048.000

Last edited:

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Zeb vs Lyric - benefits?

Some amount of percent stiffer, from next to nothing to a reasonable bit (direction dependent). Whether this is a good thing or not rather depends, if it doesn't flex it won't bind up and won't deflect from line, but it will pass forces straight to your hands and wrists. A little flex is sometimes helpful. Also bigger volume air springs, so perhaps more consistent performance and more linear, but bigger surface area to seals. I asked TFTuned whether I should upgrade my Yari to Lyrik Charger RC2 spec, or buy a Zeb. They advised to only consider Zeb Ultimate, which they were happy to sell me, but said upgrading the Yari was probably a better route to go, and certainly cheaper.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Some amount of percent stiffer, from next to nothing to a reasonable bit (direction dependent). Whether this is a good thing or not rather depends, if it doesn't flex it won't bind up and won't deflect from line, but it will pass forces straight to your hands and wrists. A little flex is sometimes helpful. Also bigger volume air springs, so perhaps more consistent performance and more linear, but bigger surface area to seals. I asked TFTuned whether I should upgrade my Yari to Lyrik Charger RC2 spec, or buy a Zeb. They advised to only consider Zeb Ultimate, which they were happy to sell me, but said upgrading the Yari was probably a better route to go, and certainly cheaper.
That I feel, is my next upgrade however it's a big jump costwise so considering swapping forks if there is a greater benefit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles