• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Rock Shox reverb stealth UP Down or in the middle

affa289

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Hey Guys

First post here got my self a Merida E one sixty 900E with the Rock Shox reverb stealth not riding for 18 years getting fat and now after losing 50kgs I back trying to get some legs and bum back my bike is a Medium and the reach feels great but with the post as low as it can go and the droper at the top it's about 15mm to high for me ...
So what I'm getting at after all that dribble :oops:
Is it ok to use the dropper not all the way up or should I sell my 440mm/150mm long dropper and get a 390mm/125mm I have only done about 150ks on fire trails really so it's only been set and forget so far

Thanks Matt

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I dont think there is any problem running it a little bit dropped but its a pain to keep having to set it

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Is your seat really too low , or do you just like riding with the seat lower than it should be because your new to it and happier with a lower seat ? . Ie Is your leg almost fully extending at the bottom of the pedal stroke or is it set so that you can reach the ground more easily ?
What Iam saying is if the above is the case you will feel the need to raise the seat as you get more confident in the bike .
This may not be the case so sorry if I’ve jumped to conclusions , have had same problems fitting longer droppers , and the reverb is the shortest post for the drop in all sizes so any other make would be even more of a problem . It’s no problem running them partly dropped but as said above it a Launceston to keep re setting

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
unless I have misunderstood I think what he means is he cant set the post low enough into the seatube cos its right up against the collar

affa289

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Thanks for the replys gents yes in all my ramblings that's what I was trying to say that with the seat post all the way down it's not on the collar as such but it is hitting some thing inside it just makes me sort of roll around the seat just reaching for the bottom of the stroke so I just have to let the seat down just 10 to 15mm I would like to put on 165 cranks that would help lol

Thanks again Matt

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had this problem on a YT Capra (clockwork bike). With a fully extended seatpost, the saddle was about 5 mm too high for comfort. OK, I agree that 5 mm is not a lot, but it was a constant source of irritation. When setting off I used to ride with the saddle dropped 5 mm, but after using more of the travel trying to find that position again whilst on the move was not quick and simple. It seems that my arse was not calibrated in 5 mm increments! Then Lady Luck smiled upon me and my Reverb failed. I persuaded Rockshox to replace my 150 mm dropper with a 125 and my problem was solved. :)

Because I was on a clockwork bike I never considered for a second fitting smaller cranks than the 170mm ones I had at the time.

affa289

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
I had this problem on a YT Capra (clockwork bike). With a fully extended seatpost, the saddle was about 5 mm too high for comfort. OK, I agree that 5 mm is not a lot, but it was a constant source of irritation. When setting off I used to ride with the saddle dropped 5 mm, but after using more of the travel trying to find that position again whilst on the move was not quick and simple. It seems that my arse was not calibrated in 5 mm increments! Then Lady Luck smiled upon me and my Reverb failed. I persuaded Rockshox to replace my 150 mm dropper with a 125 and my problem was solved. :)

Because I was on a clockwork bike I never considered for a second fitting smaller cranks than the 170mm ones I had at the time.
Hey Steve may I ask what failed in the seat post as when I I was out for a ride this morning the post made a noise and went down now after getting home and removing the post the circlip in the bottom of the post has fallen out it was still inside the frame :eek::oops:

Matt

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hey Steve may I ask what failed in the seat post ............

The saddle dropped a few mm when I sat on it. Over the weeks, the amount of drop steadily got bigger. I knew from previous failures that this is a terminal fault. (Or it was, may not be now). Both Kind Shock and Rockshox both replaced the posts without quibble.

Initially, the drop could not be felt whilst riding and it did not interfere with operation in any way. With my first post (KS) where this happened it lulled me into not doing anything about it. It was only when I took it in for repair that I was told that I was a week or so inside a two year warranty (I had thought it was one year). I got a replacement post, no quibble. When this happened with a Reverb, I took action straight away, it too was replaced without quibble.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles