RNG values

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
Hello,

I have a shimano e8000 bike with the 8010 (504kW) battery and the SC7000 display.
I have been following all the threads about battery life and range but i have not found anywhere the info about RNG values with the bike standing still and fully charged battery.

i understand about how hills and how hard you push it affect the range and so on.

My case is the following:
Rider: 82 Kg in kit
RNG values bike stopped and fully charged battery: Eco 78 km / Trail 58 Km / Boost 39 Km
Riding on tarmac with max 50m altidude level difference and cadence at 95-105 will give me roughly 10% less range then stated above.

First question:
- Are these RNG values ok? i think they should be higher. No matter what i chage in the bike assist levels, these values do not change. I tried even Eco with 10% assist and 10 torque... still 78 Km.
- Am i riding it easy or hard at 100 cadence ? as this range seems to me on the very low side. Any info about proper cadence for max range on flat tarmac is welcomed :)
- Do these values adapt and chage after each ride as with the cars odometer?

Thank you very much :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The range values cannot possibly take account of all the variables that affect battery range. Three of the biggest factors are tyre rolling resistance, wind resistance and riding style. Different tyres and tyre pressure impact on rolling resistance. A head wind will obviously require more power to maintain speed. In terms of riding style more power is used during acceleration phases than when cruising so just like in a car predictive riding and minimal use of the brakes maintains momentum and reduces acceleration phases....all of which maximises range.
Your cadence is probably to high to be in the optimum place for the torque curve of the motor. C 80 would be better.
I doubt the software is as advanced as in modern cars but even they merely use your average fuel consumption over the preceding 10 or 15 miles so no real guide.
The range predictor software may only use factory mode default values. If in fact it does take account of changes to those values it will likely only do so if you turn the motor off having changed the values and then switch back on.

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
I have tried to set different assit levels, power motor on/off and the RNG values still remain the same, even with the default settings.
What kind of values do you have please?

Aslo thank you about the cadence advice, i will try rolling with 80 see if that changes anything.

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
Yes thank you :cautious:

But can anyone please post what values they see on their E8000 after a full battery charge ?
I tried everything and my values remain the same whatever i do.

Thank you

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am 92kg in full kit.

On my 378whr battery I get 44 Eco, 33 Trail, 22 Boost. But those are miles, not km.
So that would be 70/53/35 in km

Which for a 504Whr battery would be 93/71/47 (km)

Those were the values that the bike woke up to from new. They vary with what I have ridden. If I give the bike a harder ride than usual, more Boost, fewer power-off miles, then the numbers reduce. The lowest display after a charge that I have had is 39 miles in Eco instead of 44 miles.

None of the above forecast distances have ever been achieved by me. Even if I stay in Eco, after 2 miles or so, the range remaining falls to the low 30's instead of 44. Initially, that was alarming, but as the ride continues I do better that that massive fall-off would imply. I now only glance at the RNG values to assure me that the battery is fully charged. I know what the bike can do where I ride it the most. My concern remains when I ride unfamiliar territory.

My cadence varies because I am a recent convert to emtb, so I tend to ride like I used to do, ie from 60 ish to whatever is necessary to get up the hill. I have found that I am pedalling slightly faster these days, probably because the cranks are 165, not 175 (unsure if that is the real reason).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hence why you are asking what others are getting. I assume that you are concerned that you have a battery fault.

But what range do you actually get?

I mentioned that on my bike after a few miles the forecast range falls drastically. Does yours? It may just be the software that is acting up, and not a battery fault. Have you done any updates, as they may fix the problem. Maybe take to the bike dealer or Shimano dealer and they can connect a diagnostic laptop to the bike and tell you once and for all if there is a problem.

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
I am getting around those values no matter how i ride the bike. Tried with 100 cadence, with 60, slower, faster... same stuff :p

I just ordered some new tires which will hopefully increase the range. Might have to get a spare battery too :cry:

100 km would make me happy to get out of it, but doesnt seem it is posssible.

andytiedye

Jul 9, 2018
San Francisco, California
Pivot Shuttle, 154# rider, 504wh battery. 59,44,29 miles according to the RANGE indicator.
After 15 miles, 2000' climbing in Trail mode, RANGE shows 29,21,14. Battery half empty.
Indicated range is wildly optimistic. I live in the mountains.

Spare battery is on backorder since July, with the date of its arrival having been pushed back 3 times so far.

Last edited:

Tuplis

Mar 16, 2019
Finland
E7000 motor with 504Wh

Dont remember other numbers but fresh out of box after full charge it gave range 100km for Eco and now after 1400km its 98km@full charge

Actual range being ~70km with Eco assist and flat(ish) trails, mild pace

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles