River crossings?

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
I was wondering if anyone has done a river crossings where their motor was under water for a period of time? Was it okay or is it a no no

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have not done a river crossing on my emtb but I would be very careful indeed. I have seen a video of them testing motors in a cabinet by hosing it down with a high volume hose (not high pressure). It looked impressive, but there is more to an emtb than just the motor. There is the on/off switch, the charging point, all the wiring connections, and probably a whole lot more of which I am unaware.

I would be interested to see how this thread develops and what consensus emerges.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Well, I've submerged my brose motor on my levo many times - not a good idea probably but she still gets up and goes.

I have ridden through a ford about 10 times which is about 15-20 seconds of submersion each time I go through it.

As @steve_sordy says above, there's a lot more than purely the motor that becomes exposed to water when submerged so only time will tell for me. But i expect to replace my motor yearly anyway so we shall see!

Last edited:

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
I plan to use my Levo everyday to commute to work which is 60 miles each day.
From another user with high miles, they've replaced their motor at about 4000km and I'll probably rack up somewhere in the 15k miles range so it's a good test of reliability :)

Most people don’t drive that far in a year,

Nice

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Cheers guys, spoke to a few bike shop guys and never really got a straight answer which to be fair they were honest about but are unsure about what “could” happen?

60 mile commute each day?! That’s committed right there!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles