Riding with your non EMTB friends, what is the etiquette?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That's really weird.
Why on earth didn't you just politely pass or if the singletrack was too narrow let them know you weren't bothered about getting past?
There are tons of Pro riders round my way. They're just folk who ride bikes like you or me. only difference is it happens to be their day job.
I am weird ???️?

I think I was embarrassed and unsure of ..., Etiquette ! ...

If I'd been running I'd have thought nothing of going past. I was new to MTB/EMTB and it just seemed wrong for my lazy whiring motor ass to breeze past some peeps working their asses off. ??

Now.... I think I would ride with them and share some of my extensive knowledge on how not to ride.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Soooo... Now we've sorted out your social anxiety. Who were they?
Inland Brittany seems a weird place for an EWS rider to live?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you confusing her with Emmelline Ragot? ex- Pro DH racer and regular World Cup podium finisher?
or Isabeau courdurier - Current EWS champ?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I used to fall into line until I realized that no one was changing the way they rode because I was on an ebike, now I meet them at the TOP...."excuse me coming by" and my favorite, "did I mention, how much I love my ebike?"

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Half of my rides are with mixed groups. We are a group of 50-something dirtbike racers in a large club who have also been MTBing for 2-3 decades and riding MTB together for ten years.

In our group are two analog former state champs and two former pro team members (roadie) and a 145-pound ski instructor who can fly when he wants to. All are fast.

We also have some normal human analog pedalers who now struggle to keep up. So that is a consideration.

Five of us (about half of our regular group) went eBike last year due to nagging injuries/illnesses: Knee, femur, muscle tears, lung disease. Some of us still analog. Half my riding is on my Stumpy hardtail.

The fast guys mock us, but they have more fun now. They want to race us when they feel extra frisky and are glad they don’t have to wait for us anymore.

Despite their speed, it is better when certain eBikers don’t lead. Two of them are always on higher power and get way ahead and get lost. Better for them to stay in back. One of the state champs can jet off when he leads as well. That gets the eBikers jazzed, and the race is on.

I personally have my Heckler with three Stunlocker pre-sets. One is full power that I never use. One is a reduced setting when I am with eBikes. A new one I just set up is for this mixed group. It has Eco, Trail and Boost all reduced. Eco is 25nm, 50% Assist, and 200 watts. Previously I had seen my heart rate at a low 120 when the analogs were up at 175. On the new setting I am hitting 160 from time to time and the bike almost feels like an analog race bike when my bio rhythms are all peaked.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
For a XC ride I’ll use Eco and ride at their pace, partly not to be a dick, partly to ensure I have the battery to do 40+ miles with a lot of climbing. If we’re sessioning some trails I’ll be Turboing it doing at least 2 runs for every 1 the clockwork boys manage.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Interesting, having bought my ebike during lockdown and not ridden yet with anyone else. I had a long period off riding due injury and am still fairly fat and unfit, and in my 50’s. I have a Spesh Levo SL and suspect that in trail mode I’ll be middle of the pack at best round the natural west of Scotland trails.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
My wife and I went out with another couple on their acoustic Pivots. It was a divide and conquer with the guys riding together and the girls at their own pace. I let him set the pace for our ride, he was in front and I was behind. I kept it in ECO and just enjoyed the scenery. After the first 1,200 ft of climbing he suggested I pass because he was in concentration mode and put his headphones on. I respected that, I didn't argue and went to the next meet point.
His wife is a very slow and timid rider and really a trooper, IMHO if he didn't bring her out, I doubt she would ride at all. She is the perfect candidate for an EMTB. My wife let her try her bike and even though it was a bit larger for her she immediately felt the difference. IMHO, the eMTB bont take here fear away from switchbacks and ledges but it will take some of the mental fatigue and help her. I see an Pivot Shuttle in her future.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
And this is what will get E-bikes will be banned completely. :mad:(n)

Haha Really?

Yep, riding past someone and their feelings get hurt is going to get ebikes banned, are you serious?

I was joking but I'm pretty sure we don't have to ride so that peoples feelings don't get hurt AND I'm pretty sure that if someones feeling do get hurt that's not justification to be able to ban e-bikes, you need to not over react!!

Last edited:

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
When riding with chicks I always am in the back.

safe_image.gif

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Haha Really?

Yep, riding past some and their feelings get hurt is going to get ebikes banned, are you serious?

I was joking but I'm pretty sure we don't have to ride so that peoples feelings don't get hurt AND I'm pretty sure that if someones feeling do get hurt that's not justification to be able to ban e-bikes, you need to not over react!!
I'm careful & cautious wherever there might be people walking the trails but there are some places where there are verifiably no other people. For me, in those places, there are no limits like just about anywhere in the outback, not to mention quite a few US states where there are no actual limits or in others where it seems the comparatively lax laws are not even remotely close to being enforced ie. Mississippi, New Mexico, Alabama, Alaska, South Dakota amongst others.

Also light banter up to mild ridicule directed at lycra wearing acoustic jockeys should be encouraged.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Haha Really?

Yep, riding past someone and their feelings get hurt is going to get ebikes banned, are you serious?

B3E93F00-3044-4B96-8864-3815F028D96E.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles