Riding with your non EMTB friends, what is the etiquette?

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
www.pugski.com
Ride
Cannondale Habit 2
When riding with your non E-bike friends, how do you adjust your riding style? Do you dial it back or lead the group? Do you find descention in the other riders? Will some not ride with you any more?

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Ride
Trek Rail 9.8
In our mixed (electric and acoustic) riding group the e-bikes will typically lead out and sneak in extra laps or trails while the acoustics do the climbs. Seems to work well and keep both parties happy.

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
UK
I dial it back - tune down Eco mode to 10%/35% which is similar sort of to my old traditional bike. Also makes sure I get a workout too.

Also when it comes to steep hills, I whack it in Trail mode and tow them up the hill! Winner all round.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Ride
haibike sduro
I don't bother going out with normal bikes now it's just too slow and boring emtb are all about the speed and excitement 😀

Reactions: Vols523

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Ride
Nowt yet
I was out Sunday with a couple of mates on normal bikes, I haven’t been out with other people for a while so I am a bit out of practice and lacking bike fitness. Needless to say I assumed I would just leave it in Tour mode and I would be keeping up no problem... wrong! Absolutely smoked them up, along and down, even on a small road section into a headwind I was easily 50m in front. I felt a bit embarrassed at the top of climbs as I was waiting for 2+ mins on relatively easy parts, and not even sweating. I put it in Emtb to see how much quicker I was and it was nearly 3 minutes.
I soon forgave myself though and just started enjoying the ride. Gave them both a shot and they were mega impressed, one is looking at them already.

Can’t seen me riding a normal bike off road again, it’s all the best stuff of cycling without killing yourself on the climbs.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Ride
Orbea H30
I go up as fast as I can and catch up with them on my second lap. It’s usually work that way. Almost everyone of us has ebike. But only me and another person is pretty much exclusively on ebike. The rest split their times.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Ride
Turbo Levo Expert
Mostly keep the power modes the same, eco most of the time, but pedal very gently and slowly to keep the same pace and chat loads on the climbs.

Every now and again or for a proper techy ot steep climb they'll get off and push and i'll crack on as usual and wait at the top.

These are mates so its mainly having a laugh. They'll joke about my lack of sweatyness, I'll joke at them gobbling up energy bars , daft banter and then on with the ride.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Ride
Spec Turbo Levo FSR
Match them on the climbs while chatting non-stop about celebrity gossip, then at the steepest part, surge ahead whilst violently and audibly breaking wind.
Get back to the car park first and while waiting, wee on their car door handles.

• Haha
Reactions: galaga187

BAMBAMODA

Lurve Machine 💘
May 17, 2020
Stuttgart, Germany
Ride
Turbo levo SL
More kicking your arse ... :)

Actually watched it. Lot of work to make that video. Damn. Can’t say I’ve seen a chick pass me going down. other than some cardio freaks going up but cardio isn’t my thing. I’ve for sure been smoked by a chick snowboarding in Austria fuckin couldn’t keep up. She was bad ass.

• Hot
Reactions: Zimmerframe

BAMBAMODA

Lurve Machine 💘
May 17, 2020
Stuttgart, Germany
Ride
Turbo levo SL
Match them on the climbs while chatting non-stop about celebrity gossip, then at the steepest part, surge ahead whilst violently and audibly breaking wind.
Get back to the car park first and while waiting, wee on their car door handles.
For sure wee on their door handles! But also beat them to getting to the pub so by the time they get there you’re already drunk and talking loads of shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Zimmerframe

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Ride
'18 Motobecane HAL-E
I just turn the motor off and try to blitz them while making vroom vroom noises
This. I use the motor for getting to and from trailhead, and for short bursts when I risk stalling out on a climb and dread pushing up. Juice from battery not needed to pace with group usually. I stick to the back of groups on climbs if there are faster riders, esp if I'm dragging up heavy tires. I sometimes do extra credit after they're done, with motor on (and snipe some KOM) if I have sunlight and battery power to spare before riding home.

Been racking up 50 mile rides doing this regularly with a club that meets up weekly. The commute to the trail head is ~20 miles each way.

Added stats if anyone cares to see this kind of stuff.

Other riders think I'm like the ideal kind of ebiker. I did threaten a few of one guy's climbing KOMs though (local XC pro). He made an angry comment on my strava and I didn't try and defend myself, only telling him that I was only in eco mode. I said that it would've flagged me for being on a motor vehicle if I went any harder, and I was just trying to avoid that. That particular friend has changed his mind over time on ebikers, first thinking they were okay, but now seeing too many jerks.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ride
Kenevo 1.3
I did threaten a few of one guy's climbing KOMs though (local XC pro). He made an angry comment on my strava and I didn't try and defend myself, only telling him that I was only in eco mode.
So you use Strava, ride an e-bike and purposefully set it as "ride" (normal bike) and not e-bike ???

That particular friend has changed his mind over time on ebikers, first thinking they were okay, but now seeing too many jerks.
And wonder why this happens ?

galaga187

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Riding with people in cars? Vans surely and better still with trail dogs :)

Funkeydunk

May 28, 2019
Uk
Ride
Soon to be YT decoy
I leave them behind, top gear style. They should get an Ebike and stop being pussies. 🚵🏼‍♂️😂

• Haha
Reactions: lumpy

BAMBAMODA

Lurve Machine 💘
May 17, 2020
Stuttgart, Germany
Ride
Turbo levo SL
This. I use the motor for getting to and from trailhead, and for short bursts when I risk stalling out on a climb and dread pushing up. Juice from battery not needed to pace with group usually. I stick to the back of groups on climbs if there are faster riders, esp if I'm dragging up heavy tires. I sometimes do extra credit after they're done, with motor on (and snipe some KOM) if I have sunlight and battery power to spare before riding home.

Been racking up 50 mile rides doing this regularly with a club that meets up weekly. The commute to the trail head is ~20 miles each way.

Added stats if anyone cares to see this kind of stuff.

Other riders think I'm like the ideal kind of ebiker. I did threaten a few of one guy's climbing KOMs though (local XC pro). He made an angry comment on my strava and I didn't try and defend myself, only telling him that I was only in eco mode. I said that it would've flagged me for being on a motor vehicle if I went any harder, and I was just trying to avoid that. That particular friend has changed his mind over time on ebikers, first thinking they were okay, but now seeing too many jerks.
Yeah you’re a legit dick bag if Strava is reading you as a regular biker...... granted strava is just facebook for bikers but some people really really value it and if youre not set in it as an E biker youre being a dbag. with a max heart rate of 183 you must be young So i hope youre Not knowingly being a dbag!

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
www.pugski.com
Ride
Cannondale Habit 2
I do use Strava for our group and just to keep track of miles but I have mine set as an Ebike. I have seen some dick-ish replies here, I am sure some are in jest but really, you don't know who is reading the thread. As I say on my site, "When replying in a thread, you are not answering the person asking the question, you are answering the thousands of eyes reading the thread that might have the same question but are afraid to ask." Now have a bunch of people who could be thinking "Boy, those Ebikers ARE a bunch of douches, why would I want to be associated with them?.

Last edited: