Rideout Sun 9th Aug Vicar Water and Sherwood Pines

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The thrust of this appears in another thread, but now we have a agreed date, I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Sunday 9th August at 09:00 ready to ride at the Vicar Water Country Park. @Ontherail tells me that NG21 9RT will get you close enough to spot the sign on the main road. If you can see the two colliery winding heads, then you are very close. Aim for this place "vicar water country park cafe". Google it. Edit: Use NG21 9AA

The start time is early to ensure all get a parking slot in the small car park.

Allow for 18 miles plus sessioning, and also for it to take about 3.5 hours. (It's the chat and the pi$$-taking that takes the time).

Those who have been before on the two Pines rides I have done may be disappointed to know that we will not be doing that big descent down the sandy slope, from the edge of the desert. We just don't have time to fit it in! This is an exciting ride and with an interesting variety of trails. On balance I believe it is harder technically than the rides we did before. There were two voluntary bits that neither @myapes nor me fancied having a go at. Maybe having multiple stretcher bearers on the day will boost our confidence!

Be warned, there are two sections where we ride a footpath. If you object to riding a footpath then either push the bike or don't come! @Ontherail says that he has never met any walkers on either of them. Both footpaths are steep and winding over a thickly wooded hillside, with a style at the top and bottom of the climb and at the top of the descent. They are not avoidable, but both are walkable (obvs, it's a footpath!). To avoid a total and comical clusterf#ck at the styles we need to be organised, especially if lots turn up! :ROFLMAO: But we have a cunning plan!

So far we have the following in attendance: 10, maybe as many as 13!!!!

@steve_sordy (me)
@Ontherail +2
@myapes
@billwarwick
@markfitton
@Toecutter +1, + maybe another 3
@Rail5

See you all there! :)

Edit: I have changed the numbers on here as people drop out due to date clashes etc.

Last edited:

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
Just had my trip to gisburn and winlatter cancelled for next week, so I will definitely be there if it goes ahead.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So far we have the following in attendance: 11 definite, maybe as many as 15!!!!

@steve_sordy (me)
@Ontherail +2
@myapes (Doubtful, waiting for a new Shimano motor).
@billwarwick
@markfitton
@Toecutter +1, + maybe another 3
@Rail5
@JIM46
@Dazzler

See you all there! :)

I was out at Pines again today, clearing a few sections of excessive brambles, bracken that is starting to droop and obscuring the lines, and a few sticky out branches that would have your eye out with the wrong line. Amazingly, despite the car parks being full to overflowing, I only met three young lads on the trail.

Oh, I nearly forgot! I came across a young lady who had her bike upside down complaining of her front rim-brake pads being jammed on. I turned her bike the right way up and it was immediately clear that the bars had been spun 360. I returned them the right way and the brakes mysteriously un-jammed! She said "was that all it was? I'm so embarrassed, thank you, thank you!" That was the easiest brake fix I have ever done. :)
I didn't ask how long they had been like that.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Was out today just checking. There was a tree that was in the process of falling over and blocking the trail. I have been ducking under it, but it was ruining the flow. So today I cut it down and dragged it out of the way. Those that notice which one it was can thank me later.

The trails are in great condition and with only very light precipitation (not even rain, just 10%, more like morning dew!), the trails should not even be dusty!

Looking forward to the day out!

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Should be free now, so please add me to the list.

Went to the Pines yesterday and to Vicar Water. Did just under 20 miles, 10 odd miles with the motor off. Actually surprisingly ok compared to Hucknall. Took my brother in law as he wants to get a bike ( non ebike). We swapped bikes half way. As I started out on the Orange 5 and then moved to the Rail I expect that is why it felt ok without the motor.

On the way back to Blidworth (parked near Voltz) on Route 6, there is the tunnel just after coming out of Pines, there is a steep bank which joins to the very tight turn. I wacked it into Turbo, flew up the bank and jumped off the curb, very satisfying!

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Last edited:

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Steve, just to ask, the car park is the larger by the entrance as there is a smaller one the other side of the lake I think for the season ticket holders or just the angling club.

Ontherail

Feb 17, 2020
Mansfield
Steve, just to ask, the car park is the larger by the entrance as there is a smaller one the other side of the lake I think for the season ticket holders or just the angling club.
Yes correct the smaller carpark is now only open to Anglers so the larger carpark next to Rumbles cafe for the meet.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
fullsizeoutput_2e5.jpeg

Not me but close enough...:). Dark Green transporter, and a blue Levo. Just checked out the post code and everything is cool..
See you guys on Sunday.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well, it looks like @mak is definitely joining us. Reminder: See post #1 for location and timing info.

We have the following: 14 definite!

@myapes has retrieved his bike from the LBS whilst they wait for word from Madison whether they will accept the warranty claim. So he will be rattling his way round with us.

@steve_sordy (me)
@Ontherail +2
@myapes
@billwarwick
@markfitton
@Toecutter + 1
@Rail5
@JIM46
@Dazzler
@j_s
@mak

Note: 14 is a large group for an unmapped route, but not unwieldy as long as each rider ensures that the guy behind him makes the turn. Sorry to bang on about it, but it really is important.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Looking forward to it Steve. Is it only me that thinks 9am is early lol. Are we out regardless of weather ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Looking forward to it Steve. Is it only me that thinks 9am is early lol. Are we out regardless of weather ?

You are correct, 9am is early; we have normally met at Pines at 10 or 10:30. But Pines has a massive carpark, with overflow fields available all over the place. By contrast the Vicar Water carpark is really quite small. I got the last slot when I went at 10am a few weeks ago. So that's why we are meeting at 9am!
Complaints will probably be registered when people realise just how many slots are taken by mountain bikers! Apparently, the cafe has complained that there were too many in the cafe! (Not me, I've never been in). I would have thought not using the cafe was a legitimate cause for complaint!

Yes, the event is going ahead regardless of weather. As our greatest explorer Shackleton once said "There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices!" The current forecast is for showers in the morning, but we are in the woods and it will not feel so bad. And in any case, the rain will be warm! There is time for the weather to change, as it usually does. I just hope it's not raining while I am setting up, I just hate that. If you have a sun god, pray to it.

Reactions: mak

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hah! I said that there was time for the weather to change!!

The current forecast is now for AM Clouds/PM Sun. Obviously there is time for it to change again, but the closer we get to the date, the better the trend forecasting becomes. So I'm betting that the weather will be even better. :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
post code for the cafe and car park NG21 9AA,....... NG21 9RT takes you past the turning for the country park and into some housing, but as mentioned, close enough.

see you guys tomorrow.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well that was a cracker! :D

We got a total of eight Forum members turn up and the weather was great. Slightly spotty when setting up but that cleared and we had a dry day but without the burning sunshine. The trails were mostly dry with one puddle that I noticed, (but it was deep and completely plastered the back of my bike and rear wheel in mud that dried hard and white).

Thanks to @Ontherail for leading the Vicar Water parts of the route, it flowed well and was nicely varied. That climb through the gorse was an eye opener for some. :eek:

I recorded a distance of 17 miles, but those who sessioned the bike park would have had at least another mile on top of that. Our route was varied and we did parts of the Vicar Water Country Park and Sherwood Pines in two sessions each.

It was a good bunch of guys and I thought that we all got on well and had a great time. I gave the usual encouragement to look out for the guy behind to ensure he sees the turn you are about to make. But the group got separated twice, fortunately not for long.

There was only one bit of drama: We had just entered Sherwood Pines for the first time and came across a guy with a dislocated shoulder. He had come off at the bottom of the Tornado Alley, just before it crosses the road into the Lewis Gun Range. It had just happened and we were able to call the Rangers for a lift back to the car park. He said he was OK, but didn't look it.

I have some cracking photos to share, but they are going to have to wait. My phone is broken and right now I can't send them to my laptop. New phone on Wednesday, so be patient. Some of the other guys took photos.

As we left, cars were queuing up to occupy our slots. Vicar Water Country Park is a busy place for such a small car park.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I honestly thought the 9th was next weekend :( , I am totally out of sink with this year its flying by. Sounds like you had a cracking ride out and the weather was kind, if there's anything you can rely on its obviously not me. Looking forward to the pics Steve.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Good ride and thanks to @steve_sordy and @Ontherail for the guiding. I'll be sessioning the long section that's out near the entry to Pines from Blidworth on route 6.

Embarrassed I came off twice on those 2 descents but I still did them. I'll return to those at some point to do them properly and not fall off!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Embarrassed I came off twice on those 2 descents but I still did them.
Never be embarrassed to fall off. It happens to everyone (well,nearly everyone). You're riding a bicycle on terrain designed for goats, falling off is normal.

Only be embarrassed when Steve offers to rub linament on and you enjoy it too much..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Note to the guy who asked if it was possible to do the ride we were planning on a Focus Jam'2 with just the frame battery. I said that I thought it was and I was right.

I got to 15 miles and went into the red, with 5 miles more in Eco available, 3 in Trail. I was tempted to keep going, but the group had stopped so I switched over to the Tec pack. We only did another 2 miles of which half was down hill or flat. But the lack of range anxiety because I had a Tec pack was worth carting it about for 88% of the ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles