Ride your acoustic lately? I did, this morning!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Sold my eBike 12 months ago, mainly because my mrs was not happy with 4 bikes in the garage.

eBikes are awesome, but I found myself getting weaker - after months on the eBike getting back on the MTB was tough, but as my legs regained their strength I found it more rewarding going up and more fun coming down.

Fast forward 12-months and I’m flirting with the idea of getting another one, mainly so the mrs can tow the kids, she’ll obviously need full suspension rig for that :LOL:.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Very little. I do sometimes, usually with non eMTB friends and family, but it's far less fun. I also think Acoustic is guitars, not bikes.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Went out on the normal bike (2018 yt capra) last week, the first time in 10 months after exclusively riding the ebike.

Observations:

1. Trudging uphill on the yt is tedious and slow
2. The yt feels mega agile downhill in comparison to the ebike
3. I prefer 27. 5 wheels (capra) to 29 (ebike) - my next ebike will have 27.5 wheels if anyone is still making them.
4. I haven't lost any significant fitness in 10 months of riding the ebike.

bgrunes

Jul 27, 2021
Liverpool
Out on mine yesterday but it’s a different bike doing what it’s good at.
7FA2351F-B907-4ADD-9E2E-1BC2CB1916D4.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF fatbiking being incredibly dull I can't help but think a motorised derestricted Fatbike would be an infinitely better option. (not that the motor would last)
But I still don't get why we're not allowed to ride mx bikes on our massive barron beaches .

PS. Do you know Bruce? (Coastkid)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Went out on the normal bike (2018 yt capra) last week
Was out on mine both days this weekend. Infinitely preferred it to an Ebike (except for the climbs taking longer obvz).
Mine's a M and lowered by running 26" wheels.
DSC_0043.JPG

Despite having owned Emtbs for close to 4 years I still ride normal bikes multiple times every week. Even uf its just to fuck about in the street.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Ebike away back to dealer . Sold Nicolai a month ago so went out on Alves custom 27 year old hardtail last week . It was fully kitted out in Campagnolia when i got it . Light as a feather id forgotten how good it was. But too lazy now since i got levo. Not even using my Dawes tourer much. I wonder if i would have bought an ebike if i was in my forties ? .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My mate got a gravel bike 100 mm forks impressive but i don't think i would use it. They look brilliant and seeing a few offroad up my way.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
First wee drop of snow in my area today. Took old Alves out as Ebike getting major surgery . 94 it was made still going strong. Dont think the levo will last that long .

20211128_114234.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
At my local pump track today; I'm fucking rubbish and a 24" wheel jump bike is fucking scary.

1638113464993.png

Mt mate's TwentyfourSeven was much nicer but I was no less rubbish.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Did you build/spec the rhythm? Or is that a complete?

I ask as 24s usually have higher rise bars. A flatter bar will feel well sketchy unless you're short.
Same with 20" BMXs

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's my mate's bike. I have no idea how he rides it as he's well over 6' tall!

I tried the Rail on the track when it was first built and that's bloody horrible too. Far too long and heavy to be any fun (for someone who's never ridden a pump track before).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Any FS mtb is a poor option.
I tend to use my 4x hardtail or race BMX at our pumptrack . Mainly because they have the fastest tyres capable of being run at 60psi+
I love wee bikes.

If you're trying a small wheeled short wheelbase rigid or hardtail for the first time do yourself a favour and give yourself a head start by rolling around familiarsing yourself on it by popping wee mannies, viny hops and carving on flat ground. Then get the timing right for hopping kerbs. After that you'll be far more comfortable in turns and rollers on the pumptrack.

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
I just gave a 93 giant atx890 a tune up that was the cost of the bike new. After riding modern geometry fs 29er bikes its the giant is scary twitch. Going to put wider bars on next hopefully calm it down. I started riding a emtb November 2020. Bought a salsa cassidy mtb in July. Without the embt i wouldnt have rediscovered how great riding is.

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
Was gonna start a new thread but this one fits the bill. Are people still riding acoustics once they get an EEB?
It seems those that do, keep the old acoustic for occasional rides. It's a second bike that doesn't seem to get updated/replaced.

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
I use my ebike to condition myself when i havent been riding. After a a week or two osf riding i switch over to my bike and ride the same trails without getting winded and irritable.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I didn't for 3 years unless ebike was broken and found it so slow and hard. Sold it. But converted a touring bike to gravel and using that occasionally. Ideally when wet and see if motor lasts any longer ? . Depends how old uou are maybe and if you have non ebike folk that would encourage you. Still have a hard tail for trips to hills with panniers.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Personally I am not anymore.

About 10 days ago I went out for a ride with the acoustic to understand how much I liked it after being on a full fat eeb for a full month instead of alternating on a weekly basis. On the full fat the weight is important and you feel it, especially if you are trying to learn some new techniques (although I have a pretty light ebike for being a ff).

Well, the efforts to complete my favorite trails in warm weather conditions made me thinking that for the type and amount of rides I do I very much prefer to get the help of the motor. I mainly use ECO with a setup that gives me a very low assist, so I do exercise. But that tiny support, plus the psychological safety that if I am tired I can come back home quickly, convinced me that I don't need the analog anymore.

I am only keeping the frame in case in future I change my mind. All parts are moved to a light emtb :D

Colin1517

Mar 14, 2023
Lancashire
My son won’t part with the cash for an eeb, and the last time we rode together was strange with one eeb and one not. Next time he comes up I’ll get the non assist Whyte out and see how I get on after 6 months of emtb’ing.
I was always pretty good at climbing so hopefully the legs will still be there. I think I’ll miss the eeb weight on the descents though, I like that heavy planted feeling that ploughs though everything.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I bought a cheap base model vitus gravel bike, I've probably done the same mileage on it than my Spesh levo just to keep my legs in shape 🤟

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles