Ride your acoustic lately? I did, this morning!

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Oh ..a fellow " acoustic " hater ..(by that I just mean the word) ..I thought I was out here on my own ..
yeah mate they are just mtb's ..nothing more nothing less ..
You're not alone Hodge. And I mean no disrespect to the person who coined the term 'acoustic'. But when I hear that word, it almost sounds like 'obsolete'. Mtbs are not obsolete and I still say that both have their strengths and weaknesses. E.g. with the exception of this national lockdown, it's a hell of a lot easier to pack my mtbs in a bike bag and travel compared to a emtb.
Richard Branson, you're missing a trick!!!!

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Rock on my fellow riders. Dont get me wrong, I love eebs but sometimes you cant beat a regular (non-powered) bike.
FYI, Do we have to refer to them as acoustic bikes? Afterall, we dont refer to a non-electric toothbrush as acoustic ?

View attachment 50736
Nice Bru, no you dont have to refer than as acoustics bikes wtf is that all about. Just normal bikes my man

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Nice Bru, no you dont have to refer than as acoustics bikes wtf is that all about. Just normal bikes my man
Rock on JK. I've always been intrigued by the strives shape-shifter adjustment.
Spoiler alert, I've just taken delivery of my newest Long travel rig which I'm already upgrading in the garage. All will be revealed in my next vid ?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Rock on my fellow riders. Dont get me wrong, I love eebs but sometimes you cant beat a regular (non-powered) bike.
FYI, Do we have to refer to them as acoustic bikes? Afterall, we dont refer to a non-electric toothbrush as acoustic ?

View attachment 50736
I've always referred to them as push bikes (maybe cos of the hilly terrain here). I dunno who or when made up all these other names lol.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Rock on JK. I've always been intrigued by the strives shape-shifter adjustment.
Spoiler alert, I've just taken delivery of my newest Long travel rig which I'm already upgrading in the garage. All will be revealed in my next vid ?

Ive just replaced my shapeshifter with the bikeyoke dh mode bracket only. I should of got it serviced after 4 years. Stopped holding air. So I decided to go the bikeyoke fixed bracket way forward. Don't get me wrong was great when it worked. But it pedals fine in DH mode also.

Tony

May 27, 2018
South coast
Yeah, "acoustic", "analogue" and "clockwork" all make me cringe.
Say them out loud in my presence and I'll think less of you for the rest of your life.
Indeed, bugs the hell out of me too, this acoustic analogue clockwork nonsense has to stop! I hereby decree anyone using said words be banished to the muddy wilderness with nothing but a crumpled ordnance survey map for guidance.
BTW No I haven't ridden my MTB lately

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Indeed, bugs the hell out of me too, this acoustic analogue clockwork nonsense has to stop! I hereby decree anyone using said words be banished to the muddy wilderness with nothing but a crumpled ordnance survey map for guidance.
Hear hear!!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Indeed, bugs the hell out of me too, this acoustic analogue clockwork nonsense has to stop!
it doesn't bug me. I just think you sound pathetic using a prefix for something that's existed fine for centuries without one.
Same goes for the woke offended by everything "CIS gender" crowd.

Tony

May 27, 2018
South coast
TBH I find it difficult calling my bicycle a 'mountain bike'. It's more of a rolling hills bike. They did used to be called ATB's which is more accurate.......for most at least.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I like that cube , never seen that model , always fancied building something like that for touring trips but never get time for touring let alone building a bike . What’s the hub gear Rohloff?. Always wondered why they don’t get used on ebikes
It's a Nexus 8 speed. Its truly a maintenance free bike, in that the 1000 or so miles I have put on it all I have done is pump up the tires and check the bolts once in a while.

The only PITA with it for me is that we live in a very hilly area, and the gearing on it is more designed for urban envriroments. Unfortunately changing the gearing on a Gates drive isn't cheap and because the belt cant be extended and there's no derailleur, if you want to change the gearing you will often need a new belt too, so I haven't bothered. Ideally I would have a 24t rear sprocket (comes with a 22).

Its quite different to ride to a bike with a chain, hard to describe without having a go on one. I have used it a few times round London for work, and its pretty much the perfect bike for commuting in town.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This is probably the bike that I own which I ride the most a the moment, keep it in the back of the car then use it round London for work. As I cant leave anything standard it was treated to riser bars, HT pedals, an SQ Labs saddle and some random BMX grips out of one of my various parts stashes.

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 21.17.06.png

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
This is probably the bike that I own which I ride the most a the moment, keep it in the back of the car then use it round London for work. As I cant leave anything standard it was treated to riser bars, HT pedals, an SQ Labs saddle and some random BMX grips out of one of my various parts stashes.

View attachment 50844
Digging it R120 ?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I'd like to know why normal MTB's are now referred to as acoustic, analogue, naturally aspirated etc.?
I have a theory as to who specifically first came out with the 'a' word but I'd rather keep it to myself for fear that I'm wrong. However, it stands to reason like most trends that the person with the biggest voice will be heard by a lot of people (even if said person is wrong or mistaken).
I'm sure many of you will suspect who I'm referring to ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You should put a dropper post on it for when you want to get all choopered out. Oh, and a 220mm front disc brake :p
Ha, I was seriously considering putting some Skyways on it - in fact this thread has reminded me to start searching eBay again!

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 21.32.59.png

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I didn't read the whole thread and so completely missed the silly naming convention posts earlier in this page. My bad. Good to see I'm not the only one.

Seriously though, analogue has to be the dumbest reference, I assume it's supposed to infer that eMTB's are digital.....when they are actually analogue :p

Naturally aspirated? That's a term to define how air is fed to a combustion engine, naturally aspirated being sucked in, as opposed to turbocharged/supercharged where air is forced in. I fail to see how this differentiates, in any way, a nornal bike from an eBike.

eBikes are called...errr...eBikes, so we don't need some lame, half arsed term for normal MTB's, they can be called the same thing they have been since 1980 or whenever it was they became a thing.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I built this old banger from scratch. It's so far behind the times now, carbon frame, 26" wheels, Rebal RL 100mm fork but I love it & will never sell. I've upgraded it over the years where I can but it's probably about as modern as I can make it now without going overboard, with the last upgrades being a dropper & 1 by 12 drivetrain.

It weighs nothing, is whip fast & agile as a um... whippet.
RHn_0Oi6.jpg large.jpg

kkRJXtO9.jpg large.jpg

GX51bUkr.jpg large.jpg

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I built this old banger from scratch. It's so far behind the times now, carbon frame, 26" wheels, Rebal RL 100mm fork but I love it & will never sell. I've upgraded it over the years where I can but it's probably about as modern as I can make it now without going overboard, with the last upgrades being a dropper & 1 by 12 drivetrain.

It weighs nothing, is whip fast & agile as a um... whippet.
View attachment 51045

View attachment 51046

View attachment 51047
Sick!!! ?

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i rode my accustic Spesh Epic yesterday, delivering a good bottle of belgium champagne beer to my mate. distance was 145km (90 miles) , flat 400m.
i tried several times with my eeB, but failed.
For long and/or flat distance eeB is not my choice. For short distance or wintertraining eeB is superb. I ride my e8000 with 60% in Trail, so i think do not cheat ??

1611602755340.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles