Ride your acoustic lately? I did, this morning!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've kept my now ancient acoustics - I know that sooner or later I'll ride them. I have an old, heavy, cheap but well maintained mtb that I use for transport sometimes - I really like it. I've found that I'm as fit as I ever was (well, for the last 10 years).

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm roughly 2/3 "analog" and 1/3 "digital". Usually 2 days/week on the Shuttle eMTB and 4 days/week on the Hightower or the Vault gravel bike. One eMTB day is usually a recovery day, and one eMTB day is usually a big enduro day.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Unfortunately I don't have a propper Analog bike any longer. I only got the Eeeb because my Analog bike was stolen :-( :cry:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
In fairness, since lockdown, I've not ridden an eeb. Riding locally, doesn't warrant any addition power inputs..

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I ride mine around the neighborhood, it has 26" wheels and if I even *think* of turning it turns! ;) I can ride it until the temperature hits 90 degrees, after that the e-boost is awfully nice (12 mph of breeze for 6 mph of effort).

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Ummmm I was gonna start a thread about hopping on my acoustic bike and here we are.....

I haven’t touched my super lightweight Epic hardtail in 6 months since getting my BMC. I put it on the stand to clean it up and make sure everything is perfect as I’m selling it soon. Then I got excited to pedal it around a bit. Wow talk about uninspiring with no reward for my effort haha I thought the tires were flat!!!?

I can’t see how anyone would want to ride an acoustic bike after getting an ebike. ?‍♂️
5EB06FF8-8ADC-4EF0-9F12-44C5082190CB.jpeg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I don't understand the word acoustic bike?
I have one mtb and one emtb and ride about 40/60 of them.
“ Acoustic“ isn’t really my favorite word, but it seems to be en vogue for words which are not ‘lectrified. I assume it relates to electric guitars and acoustic guitars. I prefer to think of them as technological have Nots!. Iassume it relates to electric guitars and acoustic guitars. I prefer to think of people without e-bikes as “technological have-nots!”

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
I have had my eeb for six months and the novelty of being motorized has faded. That said, I like to extend my rides and ride areas to look for cool trails with my e-bike. I feel it is less time wasted doing reconnaissance with the extra power. I Still do about 70-80% pure leg power... more playful and fun, and the exercise is better.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I still enjoy old faithful, poss less so uphill, but is sooo light and easy to lift/carry, and 26 is better once the going gets really tight and you’re weaving round the shrubbery. Nice to have the choice tho.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Well, while on lockdown I took my acoustics out of storage just to dust them and for a quick check-up. This is one of two of my favs... it's a 26" but a keeper, I know I know... sentimental value and all that. Brings back a lot of good memories back in the early days.

Oddly enough, this Giant AC was marketed as a long travel, slack head angle, all-mountain enduro bike back in the day. Magazine article described it as "sex on a stick!" It was kinda like a beasty full suspension rig back then, but when compared to todays modern enduro bike geometry the Giant AC just looks like a poxy XC trail bike!

Here's a fact... that Giant AC is a medium frame, and yet my SMALL Giant Trance e+Pro has a much longer wheelbase!

GiantAC.jpg

Yeah, I might take it out for a proper trail blat one of these days... that's if I can manage to stop laughing at all its 27 gear ratio choices on tap! I don't know if I'll be able to remember how to scroll through all of them... ?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
After pillaging parts off my hardtail XC bike I have no analogue bike, just the emtb. I'd never even ridden a proper trail until I got my emtb. I'd like to experience the trails on an analogue FS bike but I'm never going to buy one just to find out so it's 100% eebs all the way.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
I ride me electric once or twice a week, mostly on fire roads that go into the wilderness around here. We also have a ton of really flowy single track that don't allow eebs right out my front door. I'm good for 3 or 4 single track rides a week. Usually 10 to 14 miles. I like riding all of it! This probably sounds crazy but I try to run the eeb without power unless it's steep or a really long grind. I love the planted, smash all feel of the eeb going downhill!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I ride lots of different bikes, but at the moment on a daily basis I take my Cube Hyde out for a ride with the kids after lunch, and then my EMTB for a blast later in the day. The cube has a hub gear and Gates belt drive, and is truly silent, the only noise you can hear whilst riding it is the tyres rolling on the road. Very different bikes, as the Cube is about as simple as you can get outside of a fixed gear. Main difference for me between riding a normal bike and the emtb that I notice is the initial effort to get up to speed, or the cadence you want on a hill, and remembering not to be lazy with gear selection.

Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 09.40.38.png

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
In fairness, since lockdown, I've not ridden an eeb. Riding locally, doesn't warrant any addition power inputs..

Norfolk..? I was born in the Brecklands - near the highest point at 81ft above sea level, ISTR. Yup, I can understand that - no power necessary, until that East wind gets up... ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oddly enough, this Giant AC was marketed as a long travel, slack head angle, all-mountain enduro bike back in the day. Magazine article described it as "sex on a stick!" It was kinda like a beasty full suspension rig back then, but when compared to todays modern enduro bike geometry the Giant AC just looks like a poxy XC trail bike!
TBF those days were really fun and plenty riders absolutely sent those crappy geometry ACs (and the ATXs that pre-dated them) Way more IMO than most of the middle aged body armoured and goggled up fanny pack riders ever do now with their hugely moar capable modern Enduro/Ebikes.

Most ACs snapped. Yours looks pristine. I take it you didn't send 'er too often?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
It was surprisingly light and handled beautifully, but the engine needs a major upgrade! Much less power than I remembered.
I have been using mine a lot lately, so much so that I have got rid of the e-mtb's,the latter really improved my cardio so much that I'm now loving analogue riding more than I ever did with the e-mtb's and it's been great to rediscover bike craft rather than putting my motor in turbo and just blasting up techy climbs.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Most ACs snapped. Yours looks pristine. I take it you didn't send 'er too often?
No not really. I was never really any good at jumping but I rode tight technical DH chutes reasonably well. I was the slowest out of the riders that showed up at the tracks I rode... I was the best rider out of my real circle of friends that refused to go with me to ride in there. ? I’m just a fanny pack rider - minus the fanny pack. ?

• Haha
Reactions: iXi

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Well, while on lockdown I took my acoustics out of storage just to dust them and for a quick check-up. This is one of two of my favs... it's a 26" but a keeper, I know I know... sentimental value and all that. Brings back a lot of good memories back in the early days.

Here's a fact... that Giant AC is a medium frame, and yet my SMALL Giant Trance e+Pro has a much longer wheelbase!

Yeah, I might take it out for a proper trail blat one of these days... that's if I can manage to stop laughing at all its 27 gear ratio choices on tap! I don't know if I'll be able to remember how to scroll through all of them... ?
I forgot to charge the battery on mine, so took out my 2012 trek fuel ex 8 :) It's in good order, and after 30 mins of adjusting pressures and giving it the once over it was ready to go. I've converted it to a 2x. I used to think it had big, high volume tyres, but since coming back from the ebike they look puny :) It felt like something was dragging badly, but no, just no motor. It was awesome to ride it again - the switchbacks were nothing. And the 26" wheels really aren't that different. I wish there was no need to ride the emtb as much as possible over the next two years - I'd mix up my riding a bit more. I'd rather get a motor replaced under warranty though, and I'm guessing it will be this side of 5000km when that happens. Then this morning I rode my emtb and hooly dooly, am I in turbo? No, just got used to the acoustic already.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I've ridden my Remedy once since buying the PowerPlay 11 months ago. The main reason is that my city is friggin' hilly and I live 200 metres up one of them. Getting to the trails here involves the majority of riders putting their bikes in or on their cars and driving. I used to do this too, but now I ride to and from the trails. I will keep the Trek for lift access trips but otherwise I have no reason to use it. Great bike though, I shall continue to own it for many years yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles